Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2012, 04:26 AM

3,678 posts, read 7,216,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRosado View Post
It's not a misconception, it's reality. Get in touch with it.

You mention Chicago all the time. "Chicago this, Chicago that... Cleveland fails at this, Cleveland fails at that". You're the one who brings it up, so you're just leaving the bait out for yourself. For several days in this thread no one mentioned Chicago until you gave one of your life experiences. You don't have time for private messages... that's a cop out. It doesn't take anymore time to send a private message versus you clicking on the Cleveland forum to post, which doesn't seem like it is a problem for you.
i totally agree with you on Andrew.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2012, 10:23 PM

14 posts, read 27,481 times
I'm from Omaha, and I lived in Columbus, OH for 10 years and Cleveland for three years. I LOVED, LOVED, LOVED living in central Ohio. My family would come to visit me and we would have soooo much fun going to various attractions like the zoo, The Wilds (Cumberland, OH), the various caves, COSI, the castles, etc., etc., etc. I could entertain them for days on end and never have to do anything twice from one year to the next unless that's what they wanted to do.

When I moved up to Cleveland, I was bored to tears. I hated it. There's a reason that most people live the burbs and work and play in Cleveland. The city is a big, raggedy, dirty mess. Fortunately I managed to find a nice spot to build a home in a community just north of Garfield Heights but I was still in Cleveland. I made it a point to find things to do, but I just really didn't like there AT ALL. Other than to work, I RARELY went into Cleveland for anything. At the time it was a wonderful career move but I couldn't wait to get away from there. Finally got a job back in Omaha three years after moving there and am so glad to be back home. Truth be told though, if I could have found a similar career opportunity back in Columbus, I'd still be in Ohio but most definitely NOT in Cleveland.

Old 10-21-2012, 10:35 PM

11,058 posts, read 12,452,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaCitiGirl View Post
I'm from Omaha, and I lived in Columbus, OH for 10 years and Cleveland for three years. I LOVED, LOVED, LOVED living in central Ohio. My family would come to visit me and we would have soooo much fun going to various attractions like the zoo, The Wilds (Cumberland, OH), the various caves, COSI, the castles, etc., etc., etc. I could entertain them for days on end and never have to do anything twice from one year to the next unless that's what they wanted to do.

When I moved up to Cleveland, I was bored to tears. I hated it. There's a reason that most people live the burbs and work and play in Cleveland. The city is a big, raggedy, dirty mess. Fortunately I managed to find a nice spot to build a home in a community just north of Garfield Heights but I was still in Cleveland. I made it a point to find things to do, but I just really didn't like there AT ALL. Other than to work, I RARELY went into Cleveland for anything. At the time it was a wonderful career move but I couldn't wait to get away from there. Finally got a job back in Omaha three years after moving there and am so glad to be back home. Truth be told though, if I could have found a similar career opportunity back in Columbus, I'd still be in Ohio but most definitely NOT in Cleveland.
So you rarely went into Cleveland, but you hated it and it was boring???? I think you wasted your time in Cleveland, not the other way around.

Old 10-21-2012, 10:39 PM

Definitely nothing to do in Cleveland: Things to do in Cleveland: Check out 75 Cleveland Attractions - TripAdvisor

Specific to your interests- there's also the Great Lakes Science Center, Squires Castle, Franklin Castle, Cleveland Metroparks Zoo, the Emerald Necklace of metroparks, Shaker Lakes, Cuyahoga Valley National Park, etc etc etc.

You post here just to say how much you hated our city? You barely knew the place at all! By the way, including Cumberland, OH as part of Columbus is pretty generous.

Last edited by bjimmy24; 10-21-2012 at 10:50 PM..

Old 10-21-2012, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
So you rarely went into Cleveland, but you hated it and it was boring???? I think you wasted your time in Cleveland, not the other way around.
First of all I LIVED in Cleveland (built a townhome just inside the city limits off Turney Road in a gorgeous new housing development) so I was fully aware of the things the city had to offer. I did manage to do a few things that interested me in the city which wasn't much. There's only so many times you can do the Rock n roll hall of fame, riverboat cruises and I'm not a sports fan. I don't party in the sense that hanging out in bars or clubs or things like that would entertain me. I did do a little bit of the theatre scene. Found a church I liked in Cleveland. Went to the movies in the burbs. While I lived there, I mostly hit the gym and ate out at restaurants since that's what so many seem to want to do in Cleveland. So yeah, I found it to be a big, dirty. boring mess. Most of the things that I found to do that really interested me did not involve being in Cleveland.

So no, you've got it wrong, I didn't waste my time in cleveland because I always found things to do that WERE NOT in Cleveland. I can't even say that Cleveland proper even has great places to shop...even the best shopping is in the surrounding burbs. The ONLY reason I ended up living in Cleveland is because I didn't know any better. If I had it all over to do, I'd move to one of the burbs.

Eh, it is what it is.

Old 10-21-2012, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Definitely nothing to do in Cleveland: Things to do in Cleveland: Check out 75 Cleveland Attractions - TripAdvisor

Specific to your interests- there's also the Great Lakes Science Center, Squires Castle, Franklin Castle, Cleveland Metroparks Zoo, the Emerald Necklace of metroparks, Shaker Lakes, Cuyahoga Valley National Park, etc etc etc.

You post here just to say how much you hated our city? You barely knew the place at all! By the way, including Cumberland, OH as part of Columbus is pretty generous.
I guess I'd be a little defensive if someone went into an Omaha thread and said the same thing, but hey, everyone is entitled to their opinion. Sorry, I just really didn't like living in Cleveland. I kept trying to find people to take me places, show me the city and do unusal things anything other than eating out and going to clubs, but honestly, folks lacked some major imagination.

As far as Cumberland not being in Columbus, it's in the Central Ohio region. So that's why I included it in the columbus area.

Old 10-22-2012, 07:51 AM

So people in Columbus don't go to restaurants? I lived in Columbus too. Sorry you didn't enjoy your time, but I really think you don't know anything about the city. Rock n Roll Hall of Fame? I've been there exactly once. As for lack of imagination, if you're bored in Cleveland, you do seriously lack imagination and adventure. Maybe you should have done things on your own instead of waiting for someone to invite you. How are you gonna meet the right people if you don't want to meet them?

Cumberland is 75 miles from Columbus. That's farther away than the distance from Cleveland to Youngstown...

Had you been to any of the things I recommended or from that link?

Last edited by bjimmy24; 10-22-2012 at 07:59 AM..

Old 10-22-2012, 07:13 PM

Quote:
So people in Columbus don't go to restaurants? I lived in Columbus too. Sorry you didn't enjoy your time, but I really think you don't know anything about the city. Rock n Roll Hall of Fame? I've been there exactly once. As for lack of imagination, if you're bored in Cleveland, you do seriously lack imagination and adventure. Maybe you should have done things on your own instead of waiting for someone to invite you. How are you gonna meet the right people if you don't want to meet them?
You're making some assumptions about me that are not true. You're also reading more into my responses than you'll need to. I'll just leave it at that.

Quote:
Cumberland is 75 miles from Columbus. That's farther away than the distance from Cleveland to Youngstown...
Ok, whatever. That's neither here nor there.

Quote:
Had you been to any of the things I recommended or from that link?
Yep I did. And I did do a lot of things on my own. Had to. Just didn't do them in Cleveland.

Old 10-23-2012, 04:53 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,177,213 times
I think bjimmy is saying that, for all of your bellyaching, you don't really seem to know much about the region. For instance, you never once mentioned the Metroparks even though you claim to have lived about 1/2 mile from one of the reservations. Yet, you include Cumberland with Columbus??? And, a zoo? Are you kidding me? Little Italy? University Circle? Tremont? Ohio City? Gordon Square?

Old 10-23-2012, 05:39 PM

^ Cleveland_Collector got my point. I get a little defensive because I know how much there is to do and this really is my favorite city, as well as my hometown. I think you've already said you can relate to that. But anyway, if you ever come back to town, I'll give you an itinerary that even the staunchest of the haters would enjoy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland