Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2011, 11:46 PM

1,224 posts, read 2,190,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tappan Zee View Post
As far as football is concerned, I think Nebraska is a good fit in the Big 10. But, if one is talking about overall athletics and academics, without a doubt, Texas is perfect for the Big 10 not Nebraska.

The Big Ten Conference is known for its academics as well as its athletics. Prior to the addition of Nebraska, it was the only Division I conference to have all its members in the Association of American Universities.

The Big Ten has 11 of its 12 members (the exception being Nebraska) affiliated with the AAU, a prestigious collection of more than 60 research institutions, and leads all conferences in the total amount of research expenditures.

However, Nebraska does lead the NCAA with a record of 291 Academic All-Americans (followed by Notre Dame with 221).

On Wisconsin!
Whole heartedly disagree. They do not fit culturally. One of the main draws of the B1G is the teamwork between the 12 institutions. Texas wouldn't be game for that. They would try to bully around Michigan, Ohio St., Penn St., Nebraska, Wisconsin ect instead of work with them. That spells disaster.

No thank you to UT in the B1G Ten.

By the way if the AAU mattered that much to the B1G Ten then they wouldn't have been going after ND for all of these years. It would be nice if Nebraska could of stayed in it, but it isn't keeping UNL from breaking ground on their billion dollar research campus(that every school in the conference will take advantage of) or the numerous other academic steps UNL is taking to catch up with the great schools in the B1G Ten.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2011, 06:27 PM

What a game! The most heart this team has played with in a long time it was great to see.

Old 10-09-2011, 08:58 PM

400 posts, read 950,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjacobm View Post
What a game! The most heart this team has played with in a long time it was great to see.
Amen! I keep saying these boys have no heart and don't realize the legacy they have to live up to, but they sure came out with it at the end. Not to mention Beck finally started calling running plays, now if he would just do that in the beginning of the game!

Old 10-10-2011, 10:08 AM

3,397 posts, read 2,806,921 times
Great game for Nebraska. Your running back is a tough kid, I wasn't impressed with your D or the game plan you had with it, although David is an absolute stud, I thought Crick would make a few plays, your QB is a fighter but has probably the worst mechanics I've ever seen in college football. It seemed loud in your stadium- you guys have good fans. Please beat the snot out of Michigan.

I am a Buckeye Fan- this season for us- kind of brings me back to Tressel's first year. This is the Big Ten year to beat up on the Buckeyes. We are young. Our play calling is too predictable. I don't expect us to be down for long- especially if the rumors are true that Urban Meyer is the next coach. Urban will take Braxton Miller to the next level.

Bo Pelini talked about execution and I have to disagree with him. Bo Pelini pretty much single handedly almost lost this game for you guys. It was clear Braxton Miller could tuck it and run for 10-15 yards a clip whenever he wanted to- yet Nebraska remained in man coverage with no spy- maybe there was a spy on Miller but he just seemed to have open fields all night. I was amazed at his halftime speech- he should have said- "my gameplan stinks" but he blamed his players for not executing.

Of course I hate to be a bad sport but Miller going down cemented are fate- we went three and out the Defense was on the field way too long and Bauserman couldn't threaten your D whatsoever- he wasn't even close to connecting on passes. Christian Bryant missed an assignment and big open field tackle but I can't blame the defense when they spend the final 20 minutes or so on the field.

Old 10-10-2011, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
Great game for Nebraska. Your running back is a tough kid, I wasn't impressed with your D or the game plan you had with it, although David is an absolute stud, I thought Crick would make a few plays, your QB is a fighter but has probably the worst mechanics I've ever seen in college football. It seemed loud in your stadium- you guys have good fans. Please beat the snot out of Michigan.

I am a Buckeye Fan- this season for us- kind of brings me back to Tressel's first year. This is the Big Ten year to beat up on the Buckeyes. We are young. Our play calling is too predictable. I don't expect us to be down for long- especially if the rumors are true that Urban Meyer is the next coach. Urban will take Braxton Miller to the next level.

Bo Pelini talked about execution and I have to disagree with him. Bo Pelini pretty much single handedly almost lost this game for you guys. It was clear Braxton Miller could tuck it and run for 10-15 yards a clip whenever he wanted to- yet Nebraska remained in man coverage with no spy- maybe there was a spy on Miller but he just seemed to have open fields all night. I was amazed at his halftime speech- he should have said- "my gameplan stinks" but he blamed his players for not executing.

Of course I hate to be a bad sport but Miller going down cemented are fate- we went three and out the Defense was on the field way too long and Bauserman couldn't threaten your D whatsoever- he wasn't even close to connecting on passes. Christian Bryant missed an assignment and big open field tackle but I can't blame the defense when they spend the final 20 minutes or so on the field.
Burkhead is probably the most underrated back in the conference if not the nation. He is just an old school football player. Most of us Husker fans haven't been impressed by the defense either. I have been saying since week 2 that the secondary looks really unathletic this season. Crick hasn't been as dominant as anyone hoped, but there are somethings to explain that maybe I'll save my opinion on him for when I have a little more time to post. David is the real deal, he will be sorely missed next season.

Spot on on the QB, he is a system QB and when our OC calls plays like he did in the 2nd half he can be successful. When they start dropping him in the pocket more than 20 times we get in trouble. I can only imagine what a talent like Miller could do for this offense.

Honestly this is the loudest the stadium has been for a while. We may have some of the best fans in the country, but we aren't always the loudest. That wasn't so for the Ohio St. game. And we need to beat the hell out of Michigan to win the division!

Fickle obviously wasn't ready for this job. Honestly though he is in one tough situation. Meyer would be huge for the Buckeyes and would be scary for the rest of the B1G.

Finally:

The game would of been interesting to see had Miller not gone down, but you argue that he could rip off 10-15 yards when ever he wanted. A true freshmen QB taking hits like those downfield too often will make injury more likely. It is a risk the coaches take by letting him run downfield so much. Also, not a single one of Nebraska TD drives took more than 2:51 off the clock and averaged 5 plays per drive. Ohio St. had a top 15 defense coming in and gave up 4 TDs in 5 drives without being on the field for more than 3 mins at a time is a monumental collapse in my eyes.

Finally it is great to start this series. Ohio St. Vs. Nebraska will be a huge game every time they play no doubt about it. I can't wait for Columbus next season!

Old 10-10-2011, 11:31 AM

3,397 posts, read 2,806,921 times
Thank God David is a Senior! Burkhead reminds me of Darnell Autry a RB in the 90s for Northwestern. He has very good vision and is a good tough inside runner.

It is a risk- I could be mistaken but he wasn't touched when he went down. Kind of a fluke thing. Dennard Robinson ran 15-20 times a game last year. Pryor typically took off 5-10 times a game last year. Miller had 9 rushes and if he gets to rush 15 times we may have won the game. The one long run he had was a thing of beauty. I want to see Miller in a Tebow Florida type offense.

Really the play the broke our backs was the TD pass- 1st half we made the statement that Martinez would need to beat us with his arm and we defended your offense that way after that long TD pass- we gave too much respect to the pass and didn't bring that extra guy up to stop the outside run. I would defend you guys like that all day- Let Martinez have his one or two deeps passes a game and stack the box- we decided not to. If Martinez starts making throws on a more consistent basis you'll be in Big Ten title game.

Very frustrating game from a fans point of view- we've been searching for an identity on offense and I think we saw it with Miller in the game finally. He needs to run- and we need to take a page from the school up North (Michigan) with how they use their QB. We stop ourselves when Joe Bauserman comes into games.

Speaking about Michigan- I hope Pelini dumps this defensive gameplan he had against OSU when you play Michigan. There is no hesitation with Dennard- he goes and unlike OSU their coaching staff will count on him 20-25 times a game to run if they have to. Just make sure your all over their TE Koger and have David follow Robinson everywhere. I am supremely confident Nebraska's offense will have their way with the UM defense- they can't tackle and they can't cover and they are a little undersized in the trenches. A great matchup for you guys IMO.

Last edited by eastcoastbias; 10-10-2011 at 11:41 AM..

Old 10-10-2011, 07:50 PM

977 posts, read 1,957,049 times
Braxton Miller looks like he could turn out to be a Cam Newton-like quarterback. The fumble and his subsequent injury are what turned the game, but at the same time, the Nebraska offense started executing, which had nothing to do with Braxton Miller. I really didn't notice much of a difference in offensive playcalling in the second half, so I am not sure why we were able to have so much more success (not complaining). That is the way the season has gone so far though...Fresno, Washington, Wyoming...all these games the offense looked much better in the second half.

Defense...I don't know what to say about the defense. Third downs in particular are bad. If you give up a first down nearly every time ther other team faces 3rd down, you don't get very many stops. In fact you get 0. Wish Suh would have thrown on a uniform while he was there.

Old 10-11-2011, 01:51 PM

1,248 posts, read 3,510,318 times
As a Buckeye, I fully expected Ohio State to lose. Its how they lost that grates me.

Aside from that, I really couldn't be happier to have Nebraska in the Big Ten.

Old 10-12-2011, 01:31 PM

Jared Crick done for the year. An already struggling defense loses its best d lineman, rough.

Old 10-12-2011, 04:27 PM

977 posts, read 1,957,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjacobm View Post
jared crick done for the year. An already struggling defense loses its best d lineman, rough.
**** **** son of a *****.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football