Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2016, 02:37 PM

2,936 posts, read 2,334,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Absolutely right. Frog Hollow is one of the worst ghettoes in New England and definitely a standard east coast super ghetto right up there with North Philly and west Baltimore in terms of poverty and crime. TO say its not a ghetto is blasphemous.
You must be delusional or you've never seen a ghetto or the Northend of Hartford. You're from Boston for petes sake. Frog Hollow is hardly Mattapan.

Frog Hollow isn't pretty but it's hardly a place where you're going to get shot just walking around Trinity Campus.

It's people who live in the areas around the city and think Hartford is a worthless, horrible, unsafe, deadly, ghetto that are part of the reason why it's hard to get people interested in downtown Hartford.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2016, 05:00 PM

2,496 posts, read 4,721,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post
You must be delusional or you've never seen a ghetto or the Northend of Hartford. You're from Boston for petes sake. Frog Hollow is hardly Mattapan.

Frog Hollow isn't pretty but it's hardly a place where you're going to get shot just walking around Trinity Campus.

Frog Hollow is MUCH better today than it was 25 years ago. Still not a desirable place, but definitely safer, cleaner and more livable than in the '90s when it was infamous for gang violence. Parkville is right next door and that area is improving all the time. New restaurants, loft apartments, even a new brewery have opened, so it wouldn't surprise me if this effect spills over into FH to a degree. IMO, FH used to be what people equate the North End with today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa
It's people who live in the areas around the city and think Hartford is a worthless, horrible, unsafe, deadly, ghetto that are part of the reason why it's hard to get people interested in downtown Hartford.
I wouldn't go so far to call Hartford those things, but at the same time I feel, and this is just my $0.02, there's already enough accessible places and activities in the suburbs, so why bother? And it's not just where you and I live. Bloomfield, Wethersfield, Glastonbury have all developed their own nightlife scene (if on a smaller scale), so Hartford has these places to compete with now as well.

Old 09-08-2016, 06:16 PM

6,125 posts, read 5,097,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
Frog Hollow is MUCH better today than it was 25 years ago. Still not a desirable place, but definitely safer, cleaner and more livable than in the '90s when it was infamous for gang violence. Parkville is right next door and that area is improving all the time. New restaurants, loft apartments, even a new brewery have opened, so it wouldn't surprise me if this effect spills over into FH to a degree. IMO, FH used to be what people equate the North End with today.

I wouldn't go so far to call Hartford those things, but at the same time I feel, and this is just my $0.02, there's already enough accessible places and activities in the suburbs, so why bother? And it's not just where you and I live. Bloomfield, Wethersfield, Glastonbury have all developed their own nightlife scene (if on a smaller scale), so Hartford has these places to compete with now as well.
It's not just competition with the suburban towns. It's painfully obvious that Hartford does not have a "destination" district...a lively, safe place where you see people on the street well into the night. Contrast that to Providence--not just the downtown & WaterFire, but several other neighborhoods too (Federal Hill, Hope, Wickenden, Thayer).

Old 09-08-2016, 08:56 PM

1,985 posts, read 1,456,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
It's not just competition with the suburban towns. It's painfully obvious that Hartford does not have a "destination" district...a lively, safe place where you see people on the street well into the night. Contrast that to Providence--not just the downtown & WaterFire, but several other neighborhoods too (Federal Hill, Hope, Wickenden, Thayer).
I was in Providence for a week for work last year. I stayed near the convention center. I was amazed at how much better setup the area seemed then the area around the Hartford convention center.

Old 09-08-2016, 09:33 PM

14,054 posts, read 13,934,018 times

http://www.courant.com/politics/hc-h...908-story.html

Old 09-08-2016, 09:37 PM

14,054 posts, read 13,934,018 times

Old 09-08-2016, 10:57 PM

2,936 posts, read 2,334,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
I wasn't saying I think that of Hartford. But I agree with you 100% that the problem has more to with the town centers that have been built up while Hartford has been largely ignored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
Exactly. You find that more in West Hartford center with all the outdoor seating during the warm months. But even there and Blue Back have a lot of empty store fronts right now.

It's not that I don't feel safe in Hartford, I just don't see the point. I associate it with bars, clubs and my early 20s.

Old 09-09-2016, 02:26 PM

413 posts, read 317,503 times
Front Street is definitely a destination district with plenty of cheap parking and it will only get better with the new Bear's, UConn and probably a Barnes and Noble. There is music (Infinity) movies (Showcase) high end eats, cheap eats, and numerous places to drink from the Arch to Nix's. And that area is pretty darn safe.

Have you guys ever been to Hartford?

Old 09-09-2016, 02:50 PM

1,837 posts, read 1,613,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerbeer View Post
Front Street is definitely a destination district with plenty of cheap parking and it will only get better with the new Bear's, UConn and probably a Barnes and Noble. There is music (Infinity) movies (Showcase) high end eats, cheap eats, and numerous places to drink from the Arch to Nix's. And that area is pretty darn safe.

To highlight the above comment:

Quote:
It's not that I don't feel safe in Hartford, I just don't see the point. I associate it with bars, clubs and my early 20s.
This is exactly how I feel about Hartford. It still lacks the charm and pedestrian friendly vibe found in West Hartford or small cities like Providence. It doesn't help that everyone from the suburbs keeps thinking back to past shootings outside or inside a few nightclubs.

Old 09-09-2016, 03:08 PM

6,125 posts, read 5,097,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerbeer View Post

Yes, and have even attended a concert at Infinity Hall & Bistro! Have you been to Providence?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut