Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2024, 06:33 PM

10,246 posts, read 15,124,014 times

Advertisements

There was no snow for Christmas, but it appears there will be plenty of snow for Three Kings Day. Too bad it isn't a major holiday in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2024, 06:38 PM

83,626 posts, read 75,686,410 times
Cold night tonight! Windy too. Feels like winter

Old 01-04-2024, 06:47 PM

1,039 posts, read 353,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
I think they are just covering their bases.....most have the precip being minimal after mid-morning Sunday.
Agree.

This way they can go with a winter storm warning if things go colder and south...or a winter weather advisory if things go closer and warmer. I think it's decent bet the coast of Connecticut will get the least in both scenarios.

What is interesting and will be fun to watch...is how CLOSE they think the line of snow vs no snow(rain) will be. If you believe their output Long Island gets less than 1 inch, but Hamden (18 miles north) gets 6 to 8 inches. LOL. Worse, ocean temps are 45 - 50 F, any wind of an east or southerly origin will bring in much warmer air. It will be interesting to see what happens. My guess is they won't update until late Friday until thy know for sure.

This is there predicted totals and their low end totals maps as of 3 PM...I think it will be between these two predictions the way it looks now :

Attached Thumbnails
Connecticut Weather Discussion 4-lest.jpg  

Old 01-05-2024, 07:56 AM

996 posts, read 609,275 times
I'll bite.

I think this is going to be even harder than a normal forecast... the 12Z NAM has no idea where this thing will be. It picked the closest the coast track but still has voritcies further out, one even still at the 40/70 benchmark

TLDR

We'll have to wait and see

Old 01-05-2024, 02:39 PM

11,334 posts, read 18,962,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonusa3 View Post
Agree.

This way they can go with a winter storm warning if things go colder and south...or a winter weather advisory if things go closer and warmer. I think it's decent bet the coast of Connecticut will get the least in both scenarios.

What is interesting and will be fun to watch...is how CLOSE they think the line of snow vs no snow(rain) will be. If you believe their output Long Island gets less than 1 inch, but Hamden (18 miles north) gets 6 to 8 inches. LOL. Worse, ocean temps are 45 - 50 F, any wind of an east or southerly origin will bring in much warmer air. It will be interesting to see what happens. My guess is they won't update until late Friday until thy know for sure.

This is there predicted totals and their low end totals maps as of 3 PM...I think it will be between these two predictions the way it looks now :

I've noticed that, I know that obviously there are snowstorms where the totals go up quite a bit as you go inland but not sure it would be that different in that short a distance. Like I can totally understand maybe an inch in LI meaning 3-4 in Hamden but not 6-8 or more.....

Old 01-05-2024, 05:12 PM

10,246 posts, read 15,124,014 times
Isn't Hamden at a higher elevation than much of Long Island? (Unless the Hamden is another one outside of Connecticut.)

Old 01-05-2024, 06:20 PM

35,084 posts, read 57,206,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Isn't Hamden at a higher elevation than much of Long Island? (Unless the Hamden is another one outside of Connecticut.)
The high point on Long Island is Jayne’s Hill at 400.9 feet above sea level. Hamden’s elevation ranges from 10 feet below sea level to 879 feet above it.

Old 01-06-2024, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
I've noticed that, I know that obviously there are snowstorms where the totals go up quite a bit as you go inland but not sure it would be that different in that short a distance. Like I can totally understand maybe an inch in LI meaning 3-4 in Hamden but not 6-8 or more.....
Agree.

Looking at what they did this morning, it looks like the had an idea the system would trend north, but there still should be a short time when some modest snow could fall and an area that could pick up 6 + inches. I guess they will just keep moving the rain/snow like deeper into Connecticut if need be. Still, thought it was a bit narrow of area to have that much of a gradient. This has been another nail biter right to the end.

Old 01-06-2024, 10:29 AM

9,193 posts, read 13,301,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonusa3 View Post
Agree.

I am not sure, Hamden seems further than 18 miles north of Long Island. The Sound is like 20 miles wide plus Hamden is a bit further inland near the parkway.

In any case, distance from the water does increase snowfall totals. Long Island has water on both sides which cuts down snow, especially near the ocean. Sometimes it makes a noticeable difference, there are times we will get a few inches in Babylon near the shoreline and a few miles inland like Dix Hills or Smithtown will get half a foot.

The other thing that cuts down snow is development and population density. The more roads, buildings, driveways, patios, etc., the less snow will stick because of that heat island effect. It makes a difference and suburban Long Island overall is much denser than suburban Connecticut.

Old 01-06-2024, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
I am not sure, Hamden seems further than 18 miles north of Long Island. The Sound is like 20 miles wide plus Hamden is a bit further inland near the parkway.

In any case, distance from the water does increase snowfall totals. Long Island has water on both sides which cuts down snow, especially near the ocean. Sometimes it makes a noticeable difference, there are times we will get a few inches in Babylon near the shoreline and a few miles inland like Dix Hills or Smithtown will get half a foot.

The other thing that cuts down snow is development and population density. The more roads, buildings, driveways, patios, etc., the less snow will stick because of that heat island effect. It makes a difference and suburban Long Island overall is much denser than suburban Connecticut.
NO doubt your right on both counts.

I'm 1500 feet from the beach and even within a few blocks you often see the difference in snowfall. Same goes for urban environments. However, the Hamden/New Haven area is pretty dense - the combined population like 250,000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut