Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2015, 03:45 PM

625 posts, read 624,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Hmm, not really....

1. He basically spent his entire childhood with either his White mother or White grandparents.
  2. Most of his childhood was spent growing up in a well off White subdivision in Hawaii
  3. He also spent some time as a child in Indonesia
I would not call this typical at all.
And? He's still black.

Some people seem very envious of his achievements & education.

What because he's biracial he's not supposed to live in Hawaii? Go to Indonesia? Spend time with his parents?

Sorry your post is nonsensical. And completely off topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2015, 04:04 PM

1,984 posts, read 1,700,609 times
Not going back to read the last 100 pages, so I apologize if this has already been said.

Sheesh! What a whack job...

Old 06-17-2015, 04:14 PM

28,668 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBlue View Post
And? He's still black.

Some people seem very envious of his achievements & education.

What because he's biracial he's not supposed to live in Hawaii? Go to Indonesia? Spend time with his parents?

I would agree that Barack Obama is not "African-American" in the sense it was revived for use in the 70s, meaning someone who derives from slaves imported from Africa into the British colonies of North America. That term is intended to denote persons with a particular shared history.

My own daughter would agree, having spent her elementary years in Hawaii and then having a very harsh culture shock when returning to the Mainland in junior high school.

However, a point must still be made that if Barry Obama had been driving down I-95 on a road trip from Cambridge, he'd just be another black guy--seen the same as any other black guy.

Old 06-17-2015, 04:20 PM

625 posts, read 624,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I would agree that Barack Obama is not "African-American" in the sense it was revived for use in the 70s, meaning someone who derives from slaves imported from Africa into the British colonies of North America. That term is intended to denote persons with a particular shared history.

My own daughter would agree, having spent her elementary years in Hawaii and then having a very harsh culture shock when returning to the Mainland in junior high school.

However, a point must still be made that if Barry Obama had been driving down I-95 on a road trip from Cambridge, he'd just be another black guy--seen the same as any other black guy.
Exactly!

His white relatives, living in Hawaii, visits to Indonesia, great education --- NONE of it would matter when pulled over by the police, he'd be just another black guy.

Old 06-17-2015, 04:27 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,028,361 times
My sentiments EXACTLY!! LOL

Not in 2015 we don't!!

Not with all the havoc former "imperialists" have been causing to the former colonies.

Nah, it's safer to be in the caramel to ebony families right now.

Old 06-17-2015, 04:36 PM

Quote:
And? He's still black.
And "articulate".

You forgot to add how "articulate" he is for a...never mind.

Old 06-17-2015, 04:42 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times
Quote:
And?

Apparently you didn't take the time to read what I was responding to, because if you did, and truly mean this, then you should redirect your condemnation to the party that raised it in the first place.

Old 06-17-2015, 04:42 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
And "articulate".

You forgot to add how "articulate" he is for a...never mind.
Not sure what your issue is with this. Obama is a great speaker. I can't stand the guy and even I can admit this. Many white presidents have also been considered great speakers (and not so great speakers), as well - because they were.

Remember how Bush was frequently attacked for being not so eloquent? What's your racially-fueled response to that? He's white.

Saying Obama is articulate has nothing to do with people being shocked about that fact because he's black and therefore it's unexpected. What a ridiculous claim that is. I feel sorry you are so insecure you feel many people actually think this way. I feel sorry for you because many of your posts make ridiculous rather racist claims about whites...

Old 06-17-2015, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Not sure what your issue is with this. Obama is a great speaker. I can't stand the guy and even I can admit this. Many white presidents have also been considered great speakers (and not so great speakers), as well - because they were.
See? You're not black, so you didn't notice it as much as WE did.

If I had a dollar for every time he was called "articulate", I'd own my own private island.

Quote:
Remember how Bush was frequently attacked for being not so eloquent? What's your racially-fueled response to that? He's white.
He was called stupid and got elected twice. He's white. He can get away with it.

Old 06-17-2015, 04:53 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
See? You're not black, so you didn't notice it as much as WE did.

If I had a dollar for every time he was called "articulate", I'd own my own private island.

He was called stupid and got elected twice. He's white. He can get away with it.
OBAMA ACTUALLY IS ARTICULATE. HE IS A GREAT SPEAKER. This has nothing to do with race. I don't have to be black to see or say anything on this subject. It's a simple observation. Plenty of other politicians or public figures have been and are called articulate regardless of race. It's a characteristic some people have. Public speaking is not easy and some are better at it than others. They can speak clearly, be convincing, and seem confident.

Think of it this way. Why would those who don't support him say this? They dislike him either way. Most probably won't admit he's a good speaker. It's his supporters who most admit how great of a speaker he is. He is good at giving speeches. Why would those who have supported him been racist at all in their thinking and ACTUALLY mean - "hey - for a black guy, he's eloquent!" No. People say he's a good speaker because he is. It's as simple as that.

"He's white. He can get away with it." - I don't want to deal with that type of petulant ignorance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events