Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2015, 10:26 PM

2,813 posts, read 2,112,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Living in fear is not the answer, yet how can we not? I live in NJ next to NYC, one of the biggest targets in the US. I know it's not rational to do so, but each time I'm on a train I think... Each time I see a soldier in uniform patrolling the WTC PATH station I think... Each time I see more cops roaming around (like on Saturday when I went to the city I think)... I know it's not rational or ideal, but it's also natural to worry a bit, especially when your area is such a target and has been targeted many times before.

We should also not abandon deeply held convictions about our country, ideally.

Being naive and turning a blind eye is definitely the WORST idea. Something has to be done, but what? Another question that's basically impossible to answer.

I also agree that if we act in fear, they've won.

So again: what do we do?? No one knows. There's no right or wrong answer. It's difficult as hell. How do we fight a radical ideology? One of the hardest questions yet IMHO.
Regarding the question I bolded; i absolutely agree that is the fundamental question. Because whatever we decide the answer is, it informs every choice we make.

Globally, I have NO idea...but small-scale: my son has been learning about the Middle East in school, and my husband just travelled to the Middle East for the first time on business (and had a long layover in Paris Friday night--most scared I've ever been...) But before the trip my son had some questions about how safe his dad would be. We told him: people travel there all the time. Yes, violence happens, but it's highly unlikely anything will happen to Dad. We talked about how Dad is a frequent and savvy traveler--he knows and follows common sense personal safety tips. He's not naive. However, there's nothing you can really do to stop a suicide bomber from being where you happen to be. It's sounds harsh, but it actually helped all 3 of us feel better about the trip. I mean, because really, how do you stop someone who can't be reasoned with, is totally committed to their cause, and is absolutely willing to blow themselves up?? You can't. So you just live your life. Living fear would mean turning down trips to the Middle East, never traveling to Paris again, and becoming suspicious of every Muslim person we know. We don't want to live that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2015, 10:33 PM

2,438 posts, read 2,809,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfternoonCoffee View Post
Regarding the question I bolded; i absolutely agree that is the fundamental question. Because whatever we decide the answer is, it informs every choice we make.

Globally, I have NO idea...but small-scale: my son has been learning about the Middle East in school, and my husband just travelled to the Middle East for the first time on business (and had a long layover in Paris Friday night--most scared I've ever been...) But before the trip my son had some questions about how safe his dad would be. We told him: people travel there all the time. Yes, violence happens, but it's highly unlikely anything will happen to Dad. We talked about how Dad is a frequent and savvy traveler--he knows and follows common sense personal safety tips. He's not naive. However, there's nothing you can really do to stop a suicide bomber from being where you happen to be. It's sounds harsh, but it actually helped all 3 of us feel better about the trip. I mean, because really, how do you stop someone who can't be reasoned with, is totally committed to their cause, and is absolutely willing to blow themselves up?? You can't. So you just live your life. Living fear would mean turning down trips to the Middle East, never traveling to Paris again, and becoming suspicious of every Muslim person we know. We don't want to live that way.
Everyone is NOT going to see it that way.. that is the business aspect I talked about in my recent post and flights are cancelled.. period.

People won't just accept this.

Flights. motels, trips cancelled and has nothing to do with Paris. Syrians everywhere= nice try. I am not trying to be harsh but I certainly can't blame the president of France for his actions today. Paris is a huge attraction that ISIS just crapped on, which includes FINANCIAL rebuilding. Hel* no, it's not okay.

Old 11-15-2015, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreenflute334 View Post
Everyone is NOT going to see it that way.. that is the business aspect I talked about in my recent post and flights are cancelled.. period.

People won't just accept this.

Flights. motels, trips cancelled and has nothing to do with Paris. Syrians everywhere= nice try. I am not trying to be harsh but I certainly can't blame the president of France for his actions today. Paris is a huge attraction that ISIS just crapped on, which includes FINANCIAL rebuilding. Hel* no, it's not okay.
...I think I agree with you...If you're saying our western culture is stronger than a few crazy people with a Dark Ages worldview. Is that accurate?

Refusing to live in fear doesn't mean France can't take some time to mourn and to figure out what they're going to do next. Refusing to live in fear also doesn't mean "accepting" terrorism, or that it's "ok". Nor does it mean not fighting back!

Old 11-15-2015, 11:01 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,073,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Sources please.

What accounts, then, for this terrible misunderstanding on the part of Moslems worldwide who support death for apostasy? These Moslems must be terribly misinformed.
For sources on the Sunni Madhabs one needs to actually do a very in depth study. I have only studied Islamic Jurisprudence for about 3 years and can not pull up specific laws rapidly.

To shorten things I will use the 23 Islamic Nations that have Apostasy Laws, the other 26 Islamic Nations have no Apostasy laws.

Iran is included although they are Shi'ite not Sunni and follow the Jafa'ari madhab which is not recognized by Sunni

Quote:
The countries surveyed that expressly make apostasy a capital offense are Afghanistan, Brunei, Mauritania, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Sudan, the United Arab Emirates, and Yemen. However, only a small number of cases showing the application of these capital punishment laws were identified. Only two cases were identified that resulted in conviction for religious conversion—one in Iran in 1994 and another in Sudan in 2014. The country surveys also indicate that apostasy laws are frequently used to charge persons for acts other than conversion. For example, in Mauritania, Saudi Arabia, Jordan, and Yemen, individuals were charged with apostasy for their writings or comments made on social media. Of the countries researched, it appears that Iran is the only one that has executed a person convicted of apostasy to date.

Laws Criminalizing Apostasy
I find that to be a bit paradoxical. Iran is the only Nation to ever execute a person for Apostasy, but Iran has a freedom of religion law that makes apostasy Legal.

From the same source as above, regarding Iran
Quote:
According to the US Department of State, the last death penalty for apostasy that was actually carried out occurred in 1990.[34] The US Department of State pointed out in a report issued in 2009 that the death penalty can be imposed on the basis of ambiguous charges, such as “‘attempts against the security of the state,’ ‘outrage against high-ranking officials,’ and ‘insults against the memory of Imam Khomeini and against the Supreme Leader of the Islamic Republic,’”
However, there are Muslims that actually believe Islam calls for the death of Apostates and apostates have been murdered outside of the legal system. That is in violation of Islamic Law.

Old 11-15-2015, 11:07 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,982,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Notice that Teilhard never responded to this post...
Or mine asking why he writes off people who understand that the radical bunch are a minority and not normal in Islam...

Old 11-15-2015, 11:18 PM

2,438 posts, read 2,809,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfternoonCoffee View Post
...I think I agree with you...If you're saying our western culture is stronger than a few crazy people with a Dark Ages worldview. Is that accurate?

Refusing to live in fear doesn't mean France can't take some time to mourn and to figure out what they're going to do next. Refusing to live in fear also doesn't mean "accepting" terrorism, or that it's "ok". Nor does it mean not fighting back!
A few crazy people? How many? Three maybe? ( I am not being sarcastic.. but the term "a few" seems weak) We've already been through this time and time again. It's not working. The Dark Ages are gone and these people are created as machines, not people. Virgins don't live in the sky.. and it will be somewhere else next week ( let's hope not but they have no conscious)

They don't dish out money to rebuild and no one can replace a life/ history event. We basically are paying for them all the time. It doesn't stop. We will eventually get as callous as they are. ISIS is hurting socail media- that's the quick "facebook" action/fix that happened.

Paris will likely have a recession that you are not elaborating on only by saying "some time". People remember 9-11 like it was last year. Every person on the globe had their heart in NYC ( the financial heart of this country) in 2001 and Paris happens to be our soul.

Guess what happens when you put heart and soul together? It's not a very good outcome.

Old 11-15-2015, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreenflute334 View Post
A few crazy people? How many? Three maybe? ( I am not being sarcastic.. but the term "a few" seems weak) We've already been through this time and time again. It's not working. The Dark Ages are gone and these people are created as machines, not people. Virgins don't live in the sky.. and it will be somewhere else next week ( let's hope not but they have no conscious)

They don't dish out money to rebuild and no one can replace a life/ history event. We basically are paying for them all the time. It doesn't stop. We will eventually get as callous as they are. ISIS is hurting socail media- that's the quick "facebook" action/fix that happened.

Paris will likely have a recession that you are not elaborating on only by saying "some time". People remember 9-11 like it was last year. Every person on the globe had their heart in NYC ( the financial heart of this country) in 2001 and Paris happens to be our soul.

Guess what happens when you put heart and soul together? It's not a very good outcome.
Well, I'm sure I could do the math if I felt like it: how many terrorists have been killed, arrested, blown up, or escaped since...when shall we say? 2001? 1993? Then just figure out what percentage of the worlds 1.6 billion Muslims (disclaimer: number pulled from this thread, not verified) those terriorsts make up, and voilà: an estimation as to the number of "crazy people" among Muslims.

Again, I'm not going to do the math right now, but I would guess it's less than 1%

I call that "a few"

Old 11-15-2015, 11:54 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,111,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post

However, there are Muslims that actually believe Islam calls for the death of Apostates and apostates have been murdered outside of the legal system. That is in violation of Islamic Law.
In which countries? And of those countries, what was the legal system response?

Old 11-16-2015, 12:17 AM

15,526 posts, read 10,496,731 times
1% of 1.6 billion = 16 million. I call that more than a few.

Old 11-16-2015, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
1% of 1.6 billion = 16 million. I call that more than a few.
I was being facetious with "1%" SERIOUSLY doubt the world has seen 16 million Muslim terrorists

But you've made my point for me: a tiny fraction of the world's Muslims are committing acts of terrorism. The other 99+% are NOT!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events