Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2015, 07:31 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I asked similar questions earlier in the thread. Silence.
No - not silence. I answered it - several times in fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2015, 07:41 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,486,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teilhard View Post
Yes …

In any human population there will be a small percentage (SMALL, thank God) of persons who are misfits, anti-social, psychopath, narcissistic who are inclined toward evil deeds by virtue of the way their brains and lives are *wired* by genetics and environment …

They can and will and do try to foist various justifications for what they do, but what they do is NOT NORMAL for any group ...
If it is just a small percentage why or millions fleeing them? I mean if it was 1 in a 100 the other 99 would not flee, they would stop that person and detain, imprison or kill the person.

Old 11-16-2015, 07:50 AM

1,961 posts, read 2,252,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfternoonCoffee View Post
Well, I'm sure I could do the math if I felt like it: how many terrorists have been killed, arrested, blown up, or escaped since...when shall we say? 2001? 1993? Then just figure out what percentage of the worlds 1.6 billion Muslims (disclaimer: number pulled from this thread, not verified) those terriorsts make up, and voilà: an estimation as to the number of "crazy people" among Muslims.

Again, I'm not going to do the math right now, but I would guess it's less than 1%

I call that "a few"
You're forgetting all the terrorists who have not yet been killed, arrested, blown up or escaped. Thus your number of "crazy people" has a decent probability of being vastly underestimated.

Old 11-16-2015, 07:53 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,005,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
We are way passed these pin pricks. Give 48 hour notice then send in these beauties. Oh, they WON’T come back full. Lights out Raqqa.
Bombing alone won't work. There has to be boots on the ground to hold said ground and insure that all the "roaches" that have hidden in tunnels and such are either dead or captured.
PACIFY the country by force since diplomacy or being an apologist hasn't worked for the last several years.

Old 11-16-2015, 08:03 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Bombing alone won't work. There has to be boots on the ground to hold said ground and insure that all the "roaches" that have hidden in tunnels and such are either dead or captured.
PACIFY the country by force since diplomacy or being an apologist hasn't worked for the last several years.
Time for more European and Middle Eastern boots on the ground.

Old 11-16-2015, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
One of the terrorists mothers says her son didn't mean to kill anyone and may have blown himself up because he was stressed. For those that think there are good Muslims on our side this is reality

Paris suicide bomber Ibrahim Abdeslam
Yeah. How can she possibly think anyone could believe this? One of the picture captions from the above link: "His mother said that the family was sure Ibrahim had not planned to kill anyone when he detonated a suicide bomb outside a busy restaurant in Paris."

Sure. That's why he was wearing a suicide vest and hanging outside a busy restaurant. Best way and place to kill yourself without harming others.

That said, I personally don't consider his mother an example of a "good Muslim". It's rather specious to make that claim. She is either hiding her true loyalties or in the denial of shock at the loss of her sons.

Old 11-16-2015, 08:12 AM

2,813 posts, read 2,112,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Here's my application, personally:

When I'm boarding a plane, I don't pay much attention, if any, to guys who may "look" Muslim. I'm intelligent enough to know that Islam is a religion, not a race. But I am going to be paying closer attention to anyone, especially a young man, who seems nervous, who is sweating, mumbling to themselves, etc.

If I go to a theater, I'm going to pay more attention to anyone, especially a young man, with bulky clothes, who may seem nervous or who is acting strangely.

I live in a community that has a high percentage of practicing Muslims. They are very active in our business and social community. I don't live in any sort of fear of these folks. I pass their very busy mosque and school every day, and I don't shudder or worry as I pass it. But I expect our local law enforcement to closely monitor our community, and that community within our community, for any signs of radical, violent activity. So far so good. In fact, in the wake of 9/11 our community rallied around the local Muslim community in a protective way, and I was proud of that response. We have an active interfaith community which encourages open dialogue and visiting and interaction between local Muslims, Jews, and Christians, and so far so good.

I do feel that many people within our local Muslim community would be the first in line to lay their heads on the chopping block if ISIS ever got hold of them, though, because they are assimilated and "Americanized" Muslims and apparently that's not "good enough" for the radicals.
I agree with you^^

Old 11-16-2015, 08:16 AM

2,813 posts, read 2,112,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpm1 View Post
Mass shootings are statistically irrelevant. A better point would be that the vast majority of ALL crime in the US is committed by men. This is a large part of the reason men are perceived as more of a threat than women and this can be expanded into racial lines as well. This state of vigilance is not unwarranted. It does not mean you should avoid contact with men at all costs but that you should be aware of your surroundings when in public.
Couldn't you also say "terrorist attacks committed by Muslims" are also "statistically irrelevant"???

I don't think anyone is a-ok with either just because they are "statistically irrelevant"

Old 11-16-2015, 08:17 AM

88,562 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
No - not silence. I answered it - several times in fact.
But you are not one of the "let's kill/deport/ban all Muslims" types I was addressing. It is those people about whom I wonder how they behave towards the Muslims they know.

Old 11-16-2015, 08:19 AM

Quote:
You keep saying this as if it justifies or validates or proves...something - not sure what.

If you yourself - a devout Muslim - can't even accurately describe Islam in a way that the average person could use to identify ANY Muslim, then how can you expect average people to be able to differentiate between the radicals and the moderates of Islam?

Funny - Muslims seem to have no difficulty in determining who is Sunni, or Shiite, or (fill in the blank). And you can say Islam doesn't require attending a mosque all you like, but the local mosque and school are filled with self identifying Muslims who are clearly members of a Muslim community, so though they may not fill out a registration card, they have figured out a way to identify themselves and to create a close knit community within our community.

I think there are more identifying factors than you'd care to admit, because if I use your definition, then I'm a Muslim. I mean, I submit my will to God, to the best of my ability and knowledge. I'm being very serious - that's what I do within my faith. Am I performing an Islamic action? And if I perform an Islamic action, am I Muslim?

Come on.
I get your point and also find Woodrow LI's description of Muslims lacking some real world validity. Maybe that's a failing on my part. I dunno. But do you believe that God had no progeny? From a previous post by Woodrow, you would also have to believe that Jesus was not the Son of God. I read that pretty carefully cause I wondered if the description could apply to me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events