Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2015, 04:08 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,073,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
In which countries? And of those countries, what was the legal system response?
Predominantly in Pakistan and Afghanistan.

The current legal systems are almost powerless to enforce laws in some of the remote regions. Particulary in the border area between the two which are basically inaccessable to outsiders and pretty much beyond government control
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2015, 05:03 AM

88,560 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfternoonCoffee View Post
Yes^^

I am baffled by many of the posts in this thread: Do most of you not know ANY mainstream Muslims? At work? Or school? Nice, decent, normal people? There are plenty out there--y'all need to get to know some of them. Seriously.

What would all of you strongly "anti-all Muslims" "get rid of 'em all" posters do with people like my friend: a Muslim, upper-middle class stay at home mom, British citizen, Pakistani parentage, here in the U.S. legally with her British citizen husband's job???

Oh, and I met her at the Christian church preschool where our children both attended.

Make some armchair public policy...
I asked similar questions earlier in the thread. Silence.

Old 11-16-2015, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfternoonCoffee View Post
I don't have the answers, but I recognize that the questions are complex.

I know living in fear is not the answer.

I know abandoning deeply-held convictions about our country, and humanity, is not the answer.

I know, too, naivety and turning a blind eye is not that answer.

If we act from a place of fear, the terrorists have already won.
Great post, worth repeating. Could not rep you again.

I don't have the answers either, but I am on my way to work where I have Muslim coworkers. I know I am not blaming them for this. I also know they are going to have eyes on them as they walk past the National Guardsmen in the train stations, past the 9/11 Memorial, and into a WTC office.

Old 11-16-2015, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teilhard View Post
BINGO … Living in abject paranoia and hysterical terror is not a healthy adaptation ...
Exactly. You cannot live that way. I WILL NOT live that way.

Old 11-16-2015, 06:25 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,486,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Predominantly in Pakistan and Afghanistan.

The current legal systems are almost powerless to enforce laws in some of the remote regions. Particulary in the border area between the two which are basically inaccessable to outsiders and pretty much beyond government control
This is the answer you get. That they are powerless to enforce the laws....which does not actually address the question of IF they wish to enforce the law. Be careful of the double talk people.

Old 11-16-2015, 06:26 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times
Quote:
*sigh*
Can you be more specific?

Or not - I don't really care either way.

One can't be intellectually honest about the situation if one insists on ignoring the common thread - ISLAM - which runs through so many organizations worldwide which support terrorism.

I know that moderate Muslims don't support terrorism, and are in fact the most likely victims OF terrorism. I have not once said, nor do I believe, that Islam = terrorism. But I'm not sticking my head in the PC sand and just ignoring the fact that there are very radical and violent groups of Muslims with a violent mix of philosophy, theology, and political goals who are very active, very well funded, and very determined to wreak as much havoc worldwide as possible. And they're doing a pretty good job of it.

Old 11-16-2015, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Quick question. Have you read the Koran, or are you just relaying what you've been told by good people that you know? Be honest, please.
I can't speak for that person, but I'll speak for myself. I've read the Koran - it's not that long or difficult to read, though I admit that much of it is boring as heck.

It sounds a lot like the Old Testament to me. Too bad they missed out on the message of grace and forgiveness that the New Testament offers.

Old 11-16-2015, 06:40 AM

Quote:
(The late) Tim McVeigh thought he was a true blue loyal American, too …

Yes, there is a minority of ANY group of people that do dangerous things and try to use *something* GOOD as a justification for their evil deeds ...

But in this recent case, there is indeed (in this very discussion thread) a horrible anti-Muslim bigotry asserting that "Radical Islam" is indeed TRUE Islam …
IT DOESN'T MATTER whether "radical Islam" is the "true Islam" when you're the target of a terrorist.

It doesn't matter to "radical Muslims" that other Muslims pray to the same God for that matter - if they don't adhere to the radical version of Islam, they're going to be mowed down along with everyone else.

The point is that the world is faced with a growing, and expanding, and very violent group of Muslims who are showing no signs of abating in their violence and goals of domination. I don't care whether they are "the true Islam" or not - my problem is with THEM - the radicals. I don't have a problem with my neighbor who owns the local convenience store or who is the manager at PetCo. I'm not eyeballing those guys or TPing their yard or crossing the street so I don't meet up with them. In fact, sometimes they are my guests in my house. I feel protective of them, and you know why? Because if ISIS came to these shores, they'd have their heads sawn off with pocket knives right alongside me - maybe even BEFORE me, because they're abhorrent Muslims to a radical Muslim.

The thing is, though, most of the Muslims I know who live around me (and we have a large local element of Muslims - we even have a large mosque and private school here), came to the US not to change the US, but to embrace the more liberal culture of the US. They didn't come here to establish a caliphate.

That being said, I do have to wonder why they continue to embrace Islam, when I read some of the Koran. What is this stuff about women, about infidels, etc? Do they pay any attention to those passages? Do they consider me an infidel? Because according to Islam - mainstream Islam - that's exactly what I am.

Old 11-16-2015, 06:45 AM

Quote:
One thing we must do is stop being impatient with history, which always takes time whether we like it or not …

Another thing we must do is to stop imagining that everybody else is just like us or should be just like us and/or eventually WILL be just like us if only if only we can keep on keeping on exporting Western culture …

Another thing we must do is pay attention to the PAST in order to understand the PRESENT … The current situation did not just spring into being over night or only after the ouster of Saddam or the reestablishment of The State of Israel …

Another thing we must do is get used to the current situation as the new normal … and then deal with it ...
Islam has been around for over 1300 years. Islam is stuck in the Dark Ages in many parts of the world. Radical Islam has no respect or appreciation for western culture, the Renaissance, the Age of Reason, etc.

But you know what - if people want to embrace such a backwards mindset - in backwards countries - I feel sorry for their children but I guess that's their business. What is unacceptable to me is for them to refuse to assimilate when they come to western countries. If you want Sharia Law, move to a country that practices Sharia Law. Don't try to come to western countries and insist on immunity from Western law.

Old 11-16-2015, 06:47 AM

3,038 posts, read 2,412,847 times
Quote:

But in this recent case, there is indeed (in this very discussion thread) a horrible anti-Muslim bigotry asserting that "Radical Islam" is indeed TRUE Islam …
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_true_Scotsman
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events