Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2008, 08:22 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,394,464 times

Advertisements

Good morning everyone. I am new here and I thought all of you could help me stay motivated. I have been a yo yo dieter for about 25 years.

I don't "need" to lose a lot but I would like to lose about 10 pounds and "keep it off". My dh and have been really busy building our own house so I've gotten some exercise but eating has been quick and not so healthy fixes.

Now we are moved into the house, although it is not done, and I need to get serious. So here I am. I'm looking forward to hearing your eating and workout ideas. I really need to start a workout program but I am so not into it at the moment. Maybe I should try walking(hiking) to our mailbox each day. That would probably take an hour, no joke.

Gotta go. It's time to paint or something like that.

Lisa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2008, 10:38 AM

2,091 posts, read 9,048,239 times
welcome to the buddy forum Younglisa! Glad to have you joining us!
That hike to your mailbox sounds like it would be a terrific workout. One you could absolutly mix up too. Brisk walk one day, skipping along the next, jogging, lunge walks, you name it....could be fun. Mathguy has got the great exersize tips for those who are serious about it, and making some great lifestyle changes. He's doing awesome and is motivation just by reading about how he's doing!!!
Me, Im not very.....dedicated I guess you could say? I definatly want to firm up and slim down, but my style is more around the house/in the car/fit it in where you can stuff. Not as effective Im sure, but its slowly starting to pay off. And i think most of us here are all trying portion control. Which is hard, but everyones made improvement somewhere. So, you'll have a great mix to pull thoughts/ideas/tips/etc. from.
Me, personally, I am thrilled!!! I just got my first compliment yesterday!!! One of the parents in a class I teach says to me "Tiffany, youve lost weight, havent you!" OMG!!!!!! i hugged her.

Old 11-06-2008, 12:43 PM

3,131 posts, read 11,648,036 times
welcome young lisa! and great job tiff. thanks for saying that about someone's comments. I forgot, someone said that to me the other day too! I guess when you know you have over eaten the junk, you forget about the positive feedback. we have crappy weather here today, so no outside stuff for me. doing some things with my 13 yo son today..parent/teacher conf, shopping and out to lunch with grandma!

Old 11-06-2008, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffela74 View Post
welcome to the buddy forum Younglisa! Glad to have you joining us!
That hike to your mailbox sounds like it would be a terrific workout. One you could absolutly mix up too. Brisk walk one day, skipping along the next, jogging, lunge walks, you name it....could be fun. Mathguy has got the great exersize tips for those who are serious about it, and making some great lifestyle changes. He's doing awesome and is motivation just by reading about how he's doing!!!
Me, Im not very.....dedicated I guess you could say? I definatly want to firm up and slim down, but my style is more around the house/in the car/fit it in where you can stuff. Not as effective Im sure, but its slowly starting to pay off. And i think most of us here are all trying portion control. Which is hard, but everyones made improvement somewhere. So, you'll have a great mix to pull thoughts/ideas/tips/etc. from.
Me, personally, I am thrilled!!! I just got my first compliment yesterday!!! One of the parents in a class I teach says to me "Tiffany, youve lost weight, havent you!" OMG!!!!!! i hugged her.
Congratulations on the compliment. It feels good doesn't it? About that walk to the mailbox, I don't think I can skip I might kill myself, LOL. And if I tried lunges that would be Ok on the way down but the way back up I might have a heart attack. Just to the barn is about 1/2-3/4 mile and from there to the mailbox is another 1/2 mile. I didn't go today but I did go on top of the mountain to take a picture.

My driveway

The hill behind the house.

Thank you for the tips. I've seen some of Mathguy's posts and he "is" determined. I hope to get there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgresident View Post
welcome young lisa! and great job tiff. thanks for saying that about someone's comments. I forgot, someone said that to me the other day too! I guess when you know you have over eaten the junk, you forget about the positive feedback. we have crappy weather here today, so no outside stuff for me. doing some things with my 13 yo son today..parent/teacher conf, shopping and out to lunch with grandma!

Thank you for welcoming me.

Lisa

Old 11-06-2008, 08:02 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,048,239 times
HOLY SMOKES!!!!! Cool yard/driveway! Id come be your walking buddy if I could. What a dream come true for you guys to be building your home there. What a view!
well hey, start w/the walks, and go from there.
btw, totally off thread, but i gotta ask...what the heck is the flat building by your windmills? Looks like a dancing platform! LOL You could totally use it for one!!! LOL!!

Hey SG, How cool is that, that someone said it to you too?!?!?! Hoorrooooo!! Love it when others notice!

Old 11-06-2008, 08:28 PM

Quote:
HOLY SMOKES!!!!! Cool yard/driveway! Id come be your walking buddy if I could. What a dream come true for you guys to be building your home there. What a view!
well hey, start w/the walks, and go from there.
btw, totally off thread, but i gotta ask...what the heck is the flat building by your windmills? Looks like a dancing platform! LOL You could totally use it for one!!! LOL!!

Hey SG, How cool is that, that someone said it to you too?!?!?! Hoorrooooo!! Love it when others notice!

As strange as it sounds that's the roof on our house. We built an off grid, solar and wind generated, berm house for efficiency. So it looks kind of strange but it is awesome. If you want to see our story you can go to:

//www.city-data.com/forum/tenne...tennessee.html

Lisa

Old 11-07-2008, 07:52 AM

3,131 posts, read 11,648,036 times
what a view! you are right, just the walk to the mailbox will get the blood pumping!

Old 11-07-2008, 12:31 PM

78,408 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
YOU GO GIRL!

Old 11-07-2008, 12:39 PM

78,408 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Good morning everyone. I am new here and I thought all of you could help me stay motivated.
Welcome!

First off, what motivates you? Why do you want to lose weight? What do you want to acheive? Answering these questions is a start.

Second, you are already in the midst of a lifestyle change. If you make healthy changes NOW they will become habits in sync with your new lifestyle. It will no longer be *effort* just the way you live. THIS should be everyone's goal as it is PERMANENT.

A miscellaneous thought:
Nature is awesome, find something you enjoy that is also strenuous or that combines work you HAVE to do with exercise. What about cutting or hauling\stacking wood if you use a fireplace? Gardening? Bird watching or dog walking etc etc.

Old 11-07-2008, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Welcome!

First off, what motivates you? Why do you want to lose weight? What do you want to acheive? Answering these questions is a start.

Motivation right now is really hard because I am exhausted. I feel like I need 2 days in a row off and I could get back on track. I want to lose 5-10 pounds because I always feel better at that weight. Five is good but 10 gives me a little leeway.

Second, you are already in the midst of a lifestyle change. If you make healthy changes NOW they will become habits in sync with your new lifestyle. It will no longer be *effort* just the way you live. THIS should be everyone's goal as it is PERMANENT.

I want it to be permanent and that is always the tough part. Over the years I do great anywhere from 1 week to 1 year and then I fall off the band wagon.

A miscellaneous thought:
Nature is awesome, find something you enjoy that is also strenuous or that combines work you HAVE to do with exercise. What about cutting or hauling\stacking wood if you use a fireplace? Gardening? Bird watching or dog walking etc etc.
Our work is always exercise. Yesterday, today, and tomorrow we will finish installing fence. Usually we are digging poles in, shoveling, raking, picking up rocks. Oh I could go on and on. But it still doesn't seem like enough even though I am tired. Gardening will have to wait until spring. I love the outdoors and will most likely do a lot of hiking on our property.

Thank you for the advice.

Lisa
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss