Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Duluth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2012, 02:48 AM

49 posts, read 97,170 times

Advertisements

It's interesting that no one can keep in that location, it was Nicks Bugers Burger King a Indian restaurant a Greek restaurant and a Mexican place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2012, 02:51 AM

I thought the new Mexican restaurant would fair better since they also own both Mexico Lindos. I also read that Bass pro never intended to move to the Proctor location hope something good goes in there.

Old 08-06-2012, 02:55 AM

Also read of a new retail center going up on the old ground round place.

Old 08-06-2012, 08:31 AM

1,202 posts, read 3,452,504 times
That new retail center is the one that is suppose to include a new Starbucks, Vitamin Shoppe, Mattress Firm, and Verizon Wireless store. Part of me wonders though if they are going to take over the current Verizon space next door, or shall I say recent. I was unaware that they had picked up shop and moved away due to flood damage. Makes me think there are bigger plans for the site being that is such a high profile site. I know the owners of the building had planned a major renovation of the building for last year, but it never came to fruition. Maybe it now will be made part of the Ground Round redevelopment site!

Hobby Lobby has yet to start construction, but I am assuming they are still in the design process. Hopefully a long design process that involves quite a heavy remodel. But let's be honest, it probably won't being Hobby Lobby doesn't like to spend tons on renovating a space.

Plus, Noodles is suppose to open this Saturday. Anyone question that being the walls in the store are still exposed sheet rock and have yet to be painted? I wonder if they were set back quite a bit when construction paused.

Old 08-15-2012, 12:45 PM

1,202 posts, read 3,452,504 times
I'm curious to see what happens to the site that was going to be home to the Hampton Inn and Suites on Joshua and Maple Grove Road. Does anyone know if the rezoning when through? Doesn't that mean it would open the site up for a lot of different development configurations?

Old 08-26-2012, 06:26 PM

432 posts, read 1,121,002 times
A little sad news and a lot of good news. Grandma's Marketplace has closed and Recline & Sleep and Country Financial are no longer at the Maple Grove retail center-nothing seems to last at those spaces, humm?. Fitgers has landed four really nice and upscale looking local stores-a kitchen utensil and dish store, a food and spice store across from it(both have similar logos so they may be related), an alpaca clothing store and a pet food and supply store. All four look very upscale and promising and I'm hoping they do well-please check them out, all are on the bottom floor. Sport Clips is coming to the Napa/Erbert&Gerberts retail center by the new CVS on 46th & Grand. Sport Clips are a new concept-watch the game on flat screens while you ger your haircut and are growing like crazy here in the Cities! And site work has begun on the development between the old Woodland school and Mount Royal clinic and site work is being done for the smaller Park Point hotel. I wonder when the taller one will start?

Old 08-26-2012, 08:19 PM

The most exciting development near the waterfront lately has been the LaFarge/Pier B development. We haven’t heard much about it for a few months, but today a big step was taken. The developers started accepting construction bids. The cement tower officially will become home to a 116 room hotel and 24 condos. The rest of the development that is set to include retail, recreational, and restaurant space will cover over 116,000 square feet. The best part about this whole bid is that it finally gives a date of when construction is set to start. Officials are hoping to start no later than October 2013 with a projected opening of late 2014 or the Summer of 2015. The releasing for construction bids was made possible by a nearly $1 million dollar clean up grant that was given to the developers a few months ago. That’s good news for everyone in Duluth! Finally one of the most viewable sites in Duluth actually will get the treatment is has long deserved.

And no, Ikea is not opening on the site.

Being in close proximity to the Pier B project, I thought I’d bring up the Georgia Pacific plant closing. This clearly was big news yesterday as they announced that they would close their Duluth plant by August 31st, causing over 100 people to lose their jobs. Of course with my mind, I instantly start thinking about redevelopment of the site and what will become of the building (that truthfully is quite an eyesore) when it’s current occupants have packed up and left. It obviously is zoned industrial and is 100% surrounded by industrial area. That at first had me thinking that it never could be redeveloped into something along the retail and hospitality side of things, but then of course my mind began to wonder and my fingers began typing countless things into Google. What I found is quite interesting.

Apparently the site already has multiple developers looking at it, and they are NOT all industrial developers. The current occupants feel as if the area should stay industrial because of its easy access to the waterfront and after all, Duluth is famous for it’s ease and location of waterfront industrial zoned land. The interesting thing though is if you were to think about it as an commercially zoned site, it could be quite the site. Not only is it an extremely large and perfectly shaped site, but it also has some of the best frontage and visibility of any site in Duluth. It directly abuts 35 and would provide excellent visibility, while it also directly abuts the waterfront on the other side. Imagine the possibilities if a hotel were to be constructed on that part of the site. You’d be able to look out your window and see the huge grain towers next door (which I think would actually be a very attractive industrial view), while seeing huge boats slip in and out of the water slip, while also having a wonderful view of the Ariel Lift Bridge. It’s a win win. So with that being said, and with commercial developers already eyeing this site (cough, a Bass Pro Shop would fit wonderfully, cough), let’s keep our fingers crossed and our eyes open to see what unfolds in the next couple of months!

Old 10-14-2012, 08:48 AM

1 posts, read 1,344 times
Great Harvest has not closed, it is in the area near the Super One and Jimmy John's has moved across the street (next to Great Harvest.)

I say we need a Trader Joe's!

Old 10-15-2012, 09:18 AM

2,105 posts, read 4,602,593 times
Appears ACE is coming to the old Wallgreens at Superior Street and 13th av. E. That should be neat.

Old 10-15-2012, 05:34 PM

781 posts, read 2,629,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demtion35 View Post
Appears ACE is coming to the old Wallgreens at Superior Street and 13th av. E. That should be neat.
I'm super excited about that one. I live only a few blocks away and hate having to drive to Lakeside for Marshall hardware (plus, their hours are poor). Now if I'm working on my car, I can just walk!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Duluth