Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Duluth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2012, 10:04 PM

243 posts, read 594,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbtrips View Post
Nope, it's the lot that CMRASELLS.com has on its site:

http://www.cmrasells.com/documents/S...OfferFlyer.pdf
Looks like they're just expanding the parking lot for Residence Inn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2012, 01:17 PM

432 posts, read 1,121,002 times
Quote:
Looks like they're just expanding the parking lot for Residence Inn.
I still don't get why that lot and the ones across the street around Texas Roadhouse have not been developed yet. Those are the most prime commercial lots in the city and they would be perfect for many of the businesses that are on many Duluthian's wish list. Also, didn't Midas close earlier this year? That would be another perfect spot for a new retail store or restaurant. I also wonder if the other proposed retail areas(Greendale, land next to Sam's)are dead? If not, what's taking so long?

Old 11-11-2012, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateduluthnative View Post
I still don't get why that lot and the ones across the street around Texas Roadhouse have not been developed yet. Those are the most prime commercial lots in the city and they would be perfect for many of the businesses that are on many Duluthian's wish list. Also, didn't Midas close earlier this year? That would be another perfect spot for a new retail store or restaurant. I also wonder if the other proposed retail areas(Greendale, land next to Sam's)are dead? If not, what's taking so long?
I don't get it either! When I saw them clearing land next to Residence Inn, I thought "finally, someone is taking that spot". Then when I saw they were just expanding the Residence Inn parking lot into that space, I shook my head. It's an incredible spot! Could have put a Chipotle, Dunkin Donuts, or Panera if it fit. Just such a bummer. I'm wondering the same about Greendale and the land next to Sam's as well. Those would have been perfect for Dick's Sporting Goods, a new Best Buy, etc. I don't think I'll ever understand lol

Old 11-12-2012, 09:16 AM

1,202 posts, read 3,452,504 times
The lot for Residence Inn very well could be a temporary placement for the site. It could just be until they actually have a signed deal for a new retailer or restaurant to construct on the site. I think the Residence Inn was adamant on having a restaurant on the site.

Greendale as far as last year was still searching for a retailers but was for sure set back due to the economy. I'm not sure what the status is now for the development, however it would not surprise me if it was dead.

Old 11-13-2012, 07:25 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,681,074 times
Stores? Retail Stores?

I understand the excitement of this thread, but this should be more about getting industry jobs in Duluth. High-skilled, mid-to-high paying jobs. Jobs that require some training. Jobs that will support families. Jobs that a community feeds off of. Duluth is a microcosm of the United States. Once an economy dependent of manufacturing and industry which is shrinking, and becoming more dependent on low-skill, low-paying jobs.

Are there any special interest groups, coucils, advocacy groups in Duluth that promote Economic Development? Any bi-weekly meetings between local business owners to promote and encourage each other's success.

Old 11-13-2012, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
Stores? Retail Stores?

I understand the excitement of this thread, but this should be more about getting industry jobs in Duluth. High-skilled, mid-to-high paying jobs. Jobs that require some training. Jobs that will support families. Jobs that a community feeds off of. Duluth is a microcosm of the United States. Once an economy dependent of manufacturing and industry which is shrinking, and becoming more dependent on low-skill, low-paying jobs.

Are there any special interest groups, coucils, advocacy groups in Duluth that promote Economic Development? Any bi-weekly meetings between local business owners to promote and encourage each other's success.
You can definitely start a thread for what you are looking for, but this one is dedicated to retail and restaurant news in the Duluth area. I agree, another thread for business development would be great!

Old 11-16-2012, 09:17 PM

129 posts, read 248,769 times
So a few little things I have noticed the past few days. First, in regards to Residence Inn. The lot that is there still has a sign up for sale so I would think they are just making a little extra room for now. I know they have allot of FEMA people still staying there. Second, there has been much activity at Hobby Lobby the past week with a sign even being posted in the corner of the lot by Grandmas Saying Opening Soon. Will they open before Christmas ??? Who knows. I feel like I had one more thing but now can't remember. Maybe another post later.:-)

Old 11-18-2012, 08:07 AM

3,971 posts, read 9,681,074 times
Quote:
You can definitely start a thread for what you are looking for, but this one is dedicated to retail and restaurant news in the Duluth area. I agree, another thread for business development would be great!
No need for a thread, I just hope that all this excitement for new retail shops and low-paying jobs is matched when talking about economic development.

I've always said that Duluth is 2 or 3 MAJOR employers away from becoming Minnesota's second and only other major metro

Old 12-01-2012, 11:46 PM

129 posts, read 248,769 times
Hobby Lobby is well under way. They have in the past few days taken down the big awning which is a nice sight. Hopefully they will make the front of that building a little more updated.

Old 12-02-2012, 07:32 AM

I see that in the comprehensive plan for BlueStone Commons (Woodland Middle School site), they have a schematic showing LA Fitness. Does anyone know if there has actually been talk about bringing an LA Fitness to Duluth, or if that was just a drawing of something that could potentially be on the site?

http://www.duluthmn.gov/planning/sta...hments_091.pdf

I would literally freak out if we had a large fitness center like this in Duluth! I'm really hoping this is true - it's many pages down in the document - possibly the last few pages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Duluth