Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2016, 10:03 AM

148 posts, read 137,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
It is practical to understand it. It is not practical to act on it, because tomorrow you will have more resources to fight them, all because you were practical today.
Fight who... Republicans??

Old 08-18-2016, 10:04 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,682,136 times
Quote:
My comprehension is fine. I read what you said and understood it. You were saying that black people feel a sense of solidarity with other "demonized" groups. And I was replying that they are Americans and they deserve the first shot at the jobs that illegals take, and at better wages than the illegals are being paid. In order to take back what is rightfully theirs, emotion need to be replaced with practicality.
Except you are wrong...as I have pointed out several times and even provided sources for...that illegals "take jobs and suppress wages".

Old 08-18-2016, 10:04 AM

18,462 posts, read 15,244,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chayleah View Post
Fight who... Republicans??
Anyone who is working against their interests.

Old 08-18-2016, 10:10 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,353,441 times
Quote:
It is practical to understand it. It is not practical to act on it, because tomorrow you will have more resources to fight them, all because you were practical today.
What are you talking about?

Let me tell you this: As an Asian American, I definitely understand the historical perspective of what it means to be scapegoated as a group when it is politically convenient to do so. For example, the Japanese American internment in WWII. The Wen Ho Lee controversy in the 1990's (and subsequent hounding of many Asian Americans from the defense research industry then).

So it's no surprise that groups such as the JACL were among the first to call against scapegoating Muslims right in the wake of 9-11. We saw that coming.

I can't speak for African Americans as a group, but I can certainly understand why many of them would look very poorly at Trump looking to lambast Latinos. I certainly "get that". It's disappointing you don't.

Think of Pastor Martin Niemoller's words and maybe you'll better understand.

Old 08-18-2016, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Except you are wrong...as I have pointed out several times and even provided sources for...that illegals "take jobs and suppress wages".
No I'm not. I have simply asked you to use your common sense because we can both sit here googling articles back and forth all day, and none will prove to the other that they are wrong. But if you need to do that, we can.

https://www.law.umaryland.edu/marsha...cr12im2010.pdf

Quote:
Findings
1. There has been a significant rise in U.S. immigration, both legal and illegal, over the past four decades. Experts at our briefing testified that immigrant workers now make up approximately one-seventh of the American workforce, and they estimated that illegal workers account for one-third of the total immigrants now in the U.S. [Approved (4-1): Chairman Reynolds and Commissioners Gaziano, Heriot and Kirsanow voted in favor; Commissioner Yaki voted against; Commissioner Taylor did not vote.]
2. Illegal immigration to the United States in recent decades has tended to increase the supply of low-skilled, low-wage labor available in the U.S. labor market. [Approved (5-1): Chairman Reynolds and Commissioners Gaziano, Heriot, Kirsanow, and Taylor voted in favor; Commissioner Yaki voted against.]
3. About six in 10 adult black males have a high school diploma or less, and black men are disproportionately employed in the low-skilled labor market, where they are more likely to be in labor competition with immigrants. [Approved (4-1): Chairman Reynolds and Commissioners Heriot, Kirsanow and Taylor voted in favor; Commissioner Yaki voted against; Commissioner Gaziano abstained.]
4. The average worker with a high school degree or less earns less today, adjusted for inflation, than someone with a similar education earned thirty-five years ago. [Approved (5-1): Chairman Reynolds and Commissioners Gaziano, Heriot, Kirsanow, and Taylor voted in favor; Commissioner Yaki voted against.]
5. Illegal immigration to the United States in recent decades has tended to depress both wages and employment rates for low-skilled American citizens, a disproportionate number of whom are black men. Expert economic opinions concerning the negative effects range from modest to significant. Those panelists that found modest effects overall nonetheless found significant effects in industry sectors such as meatpacking and construction. [Approved (5-1): Chairman Reynolds and Commissioners Gaziano, Heriot, Kirsanow, and Taylor voted in favor; Commissioner Yaki voted against.]
6. To be sure, factors other than illegal immigration contribute to black unemployment. The problem cannot be solved without solving the problems of the high school dropout rate, high rates of family instability, and low job-retention rates. Moreover, halting illegal immigration is not a panacea even for the problem of depressed wage rates for low-skilled jobs. If upward pressure is brought to bear on low-skilled wages, increasing globalization of the economy may result in some of these jobs simply being exported to other countries. Still, the effect of illegal immigration on the wages of low-skilled workers, who are disproportionately minority members, is a piece of the puzzle that must be considered by policymakers in formulating sound immigration policy.
[Approved (5-1): Chairman Reynolds and Commissioners Gaziano, Heriot, Kirsanow, and Taylor voted in favor; Commissioner Yaki voted against.]

Old 08-18-2016, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
What are you talking about?

Let me tell you this: As an Asian American, I definitely understand the historical perspective of what it means to be scapegoated as a group when it is politically convenient to do so. For example, the Japanese American internment in WWII. The Wen Ho Lee controversy in the 1990's (and subsequent hounding of many Asian Americans from the defense research industry then).

So it's no surprise that groups such as the JACL were among the first to call against scapegoating Muslims right in the wake of 9-11. We saw that coming.

I can't speak for African Americans as a group, but I can certainly understand why many of them would look very poorly at Trump looking to lambast Latinos. I certainly "get that". It's disappointing you don't.

Think of Pastor Martin Niemoller's words and maybe you'll better understand.
I'm Jewish, you don't think I know a thing or two about scapegoating.

But I also know that without money, you have no power, and without power you have little impact on change.

Old 08-18-2016, 10:27 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,958,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~HecateWhisperCat~ View Post
I doubt it. Bernie is a very liberal Senator who had a hard time getting minorities and Democrats to rally around him. He's also not used to bare knuckle politics and wouldn't of been able to exploit Trumps bad moments.
Have you seen the latest net favorability ratings of Bernie Sanders from Democrats and minorities? He's very well liked and hardly anyone dislike him. Its not like minorities and democrats are against his "very liberal" ideas (its not really liberal, just run-of-the-mill FDR policies which has strong majority support in America).

Where is your proof of him not being able to exploit Trump's bad moments? Sounds like ignorance of Bernie Sanders to me. He's at his best calling out the nonsense of knuckleheads like Trump.

Old 08-18-2016, 10:33 AM

51,650 posts, read 25,807,433 times
Since Hillary Clinton is pounding Donald Trump soundly, why all this about whether Bernie Sanders could have beaten him?

Old 08-18-2016, 10:37 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,958,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Since Hillary Clinton is pounding Donald Trump soundly, why all this about whether Bernie Sanders could have beaten him?
She should be doing much better honestly. Some national polls lately are quite disturbing. Just today, we have a national poll with +2 margin over Trump plus a right-wing extremist Johnson at 9 points. Thats pretty shocking considering not much more than 10-15% of the population would support the extremist economic agenda of those two when presented with it.

Old 08-18-2016, 10:39 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,278,343 times
Reutars/Ipsos:

General Election Clinton 39, Trump 35, Johnson 7, Stein 2

So basically the Reuters polls have been stuck where they were before the convention for weeks. They vary from +4 to +5. None of the candidates seem to be able to budge in their polls. This is their live called poll and not their internet one btw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections