Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2016, 08:13 AM

33,568 posts, read 18,150,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
There is not a single study that I am aware of that supports the assertion that there is a "trickle down" economic benefit to a mass deportation of illegal immigrants. The only benefit they tend to show is the potential savings for what they estimate illegal immigrants currently cost local, state and federal governments. Study after study after study has proven that amnesty and legalization is a net benefit to the economy.

I was not making a point about grammar, I was making a point about attitude. The "us" vs. "them" attitude is still alive and well in the Republican party.

It's also a little disingenuous to ignore the fact that voter id laws became a central plank of the national Republican legislative agenda after the 2010 mid-term elections. With the exception of Rhode Island ALL voter id laws have been proposed by Republican-majority legislatures.

Yes, these votes are enacted and legislated at the state level. Yes, Trump has nothing to do with this personally, other than his tacit support for it. However, the Republican party itself is certainly the entity most vigorously pursuing it. It is also reasonable that a Republican president would instruct the DOJ to provide clearance for the laws in states that must have their actions precleared under Seciton 5 of the Voting Rights Act.

I've stated my position on illegal immigration a million times now. I have no problem with a wall if it can be proven effective. However, legalization of the 11 million people already here is the only realistic approach to the issue.

As for the "vetting"...what other religious groups and political affiliates are going to need to be vetted? You are painting all Muslims with a broad brush. I know many Muslims that are far more respecting of women and gays than most evangelical Christians are. I could also very well argue that absent any real plan on how to conduct such vetting, why couldn't people who want to cause us harm, just lie?

The Republican party has been off-message with black voters since the 1930's.

You really hold black people in low regard don't you? Do you think black people are mindless sheep that aren't smart enough to weigh the issues and messages and make an informed choice about which candidate and party best represents their individual interests?

On a per capita basis there are more blacks on social services programs. However, whites far and away outnumber blacks when it comes to total consumption of social services. Most people on welfare are white and live in "red states".

Desegregation of the military and schools. Passing of the Civil Rights Act of 1964. The elimination of Jim Crow Laws. The Voting Rights Act of 1965. Since 1965 no Republican has ever garnered more than 15% of the black vote.

LBJ got 94% of the black vote in 1964, a record that even Obama didn't break. Hillary may just do it.

Well, the poll data purporting that swing was already shown to be incorrect.

Yes, Hillary and Bill supported the "enhanced policing" efforts that were en vogue in both parties in the 90's. The Democratic party and Hillary have evolved and moved on from that position after recognizing its failures. Republicans want to double down on it despite better options being available.
The democrats founded the KKK and the Jim Crow laws, and the dixiecrats was for segregation.. they did not join the Republican party.. Only one dixiecrat become a Republcan and his name was Strom Thrumond.

It was the Republican party that was for civil rights..When finally the democrats gave in to civil rights with the pressure from the Republicans and society to change, the democrats finally gave up and voted for the civil rights act.. they were the evil racist party from the beginning.. then they are so evil , they lied about their past and blacks believed them. Same today. .. they believe the wrong party.. the party that wants to divide us in shades of color and race. Now they play the race card for power in the opposite direction... with lies , , giving lip service while shipping black peoples jobs to other countries leaving them in ghettos far from their elitist neighborhoods.. One day blacks will wake up .. hopefully soon .

Old 08-18-2016, 08:14 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,276,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
It's a shame Bernie couldn't get enough primary votes....he'd be wiping the floor with Trump right now.
I doubt it. Bernie is a very liberal Senator who had a hard time getting minorities and Democrats to rally around him. He's also not used to bare knuckle politics and wouldn't of been able to exploit Trumps bad moments.

Old 08-18-2016, 08:33 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,263,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
There...I highlighted the Republican parties problem with minorities for you.
I hear "white people" all the time and nobody bats an eye. So we can't say them, they, those, people, black... How should "they" be addressed?

Old 08-18-2016, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
I like when he says I'll be your voice, speaking about African Americans to a bunch of white people. Whose voice, Donald?
He wasn't talking just to the room. He was on national TV. I watched the whole thing and never knew who was in the audience or the demographic of the town. It's the press who obsess with it.

Old 08-18-2016, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
No way in hell will Trump get 15% if the AA vote. It just ain't gonna happen folks.
Whos is "AA?" You man "they"?

Old 08-18-2016, 08:38 AM

18,460 posts, read 15,240,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chayleah View Post
Thank you for actually answering the question. I think it's an interesting concept that removing illegal immigrants will result in more jobs for black people. This may be true of construction jobs but what other industries? Also most people aren't one issue voters so in the face of other Republican policies that harm minority communities you will not get most people to switch based on this one policy.

Another hurdle Republicans face is the empathy factor. Black people in this country have been demonized for centuries. Shifting the focus to Muslims and Hispanics just reminds that the right is prone to "othering" folks and black people are still on that list.
But this is business, and if there is one thing I have learned in my years of business dealings it is that you never let emotions govern them. If you do, you will lose every time. Build yourself up first, and then you will be in a much better position to help the people you want to help. I have a lot more empathy for the poor people that belong here than the ones who cheated their way into the system. The whole reason to have a country in the first place is to protect the welfare of it's citizens.

If you believe we need to share our wealth with the billions of poor people around the world out of some sort of solidarity, that is nice in theory, but it is not very practical. Before long, everybody would be poor except for a handful of people who already have a controlling interests.

Old 08-18-2016, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Well, if Trump really wanted to do effective outreach to African Americans, it would make more sense for him to go to an area or venue where there are more black people. Such as a Black church. Hold it in Milwaukee.
Milwaukee? The place is on fire. Besides, SS has a lot to say where he can or cannot go. Even if he went there, you'd find something to complain about. Like why is he speaking so far from the riot scene? Why is he not at the gas station that was torched?

Old 08-18-2016, 08:42 AM

7,685 posts, read 6,193,560 times
In response to the thread title: Trump needs no "bump" to be ahead as he's always been ahead (as I've been told) way way way ahead of "her" from the results of all the independent polls. It's "she" that needs A LOT of bumps to even be in the same high vote count stratosphere as what Trump currently has.

Old 08-18-2016, 08:43 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,675,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
The democrats founded the KKK and the Jim Crow laws, and the dixiecrats was for segregation.. they did not join the Republican party.. Only one dixiecrat become a Republcan and his name was Strom Thrumond.

It was the Republican party that was for civil rights..When finally the democrats gave in to civil rights with the pressure from the Republicans and society to change, the democrats finally gave up and voted for the civil rights act.. they were the evil racist party from the beginning.. then they are so evil , they lied about their past and blacks believed them. Same today. .. they believe the wrong party.. the party that wants to divide us in shades of color and race. Now they play the race card for power in the opposite direction... with lies , , giving lip service while shipping black peoples jobs to other countries leaving them in ghettos far from their elitist neighborhoods.. One day blacks will wake up .. hopefully soon .
Ah, yes, once again spewing the "poor black children" rhetoric of Republicans. "They don't know what's good for them, they don't see through the lies being told, they don't realize who really has their interests at heart."

Here's a history lesson for you...

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...f-civil-rights

Quote:
In this case, it becomes clear that Democrats in the north and the south were more likely to vote for the bill than Republicans in the north and south respectively. This difference in both houses is statistically significant with over 95% confidence. It just so happened southerners made up a larger percentage of the Democratic than Republican caucus, which created the initial impression than Republicans were more in favor of the act.

Nearly 100% of Union state Democrats supported the 1964 Civil Rights Act compared to 85% of Republicans. None of the southern Republicans voted for the bill, while a small percentage of southern Democrats did.

That's why Strom Thurmond left the Democratic party soon after the Civil Right Act passed. He recognized that of the two parties, it was the Republican party that was more hospitable to his message. The Republican candidate for president in 1964, Barry Goldwater, was one of the few non-Confederate state senators to vote against the bill. He carried his home state of Arizona and swept the deep southern states – a first for a Republican ever.

Now, it wasn't that the Civil Rights Act was what turned the South against the Democrats or minorities against Republicans. Those patterns, as Trende showed, had been developing for a while. It was, however, a manifestation of these growing coalitions. The South gradually became home to the conservative party, while the north became home to the liberal party.

Thus, it seems to me that minorities have a pretty good idea of what they are doing when joining the Democratic party. They recognize that the Democratic party of today looks and sounds a lot more like the Democratic party of the North that with near unity passed the Civil Rights Bill of 1964 than the southern Democrats of the era who blocked it, and today would, like Strom Thurmond, likely be Republicans.

Old 08-18-2016, 08:45 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,644,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lol-its-good4U View Post
In response to the thread title: Trump needs no "bump" to be ahead as he's always been ahead (as I've been told) way way way ahead of "her" from the results of all the independent polls. It's "she" that needs A LOT of bumps to even be in the same high vote count stratosphere as what Trump currently has.
Crooked Hillary couldn't get any more bumps if she had small pox and still won't win. She is toxic !!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections