Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2016, 08:18 AM

13,754 posts, read 8,009,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsuleneo View Post
The US presidential election is not a basketball game. No modern candidate who has trailed behind his opponent for weeks after the conventions has gone on to win the presidency.
Maybe but this election has been anything but conventional.

Old 09-13-2016, 08:20 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,938,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsuleneo View Post
The US presidential election is not a basketball game. No modern candidate who has trailed behind his opponent for weeks after the conventions has gone on to win the presidency.
And if there was ever a first time for that to happen IT IS NOW and Hillary IS the candidate for it to happen to. She's not your typical low baggage healthy candidate that can nurse a lead. DNC is in panic mode right now and Hillary supporters think it's a business as usual election - funny really.

Old 09-13-2016, 08:26 AM

22,190 posts, read 19,470,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Trump is like a basketball team that just cut a 20 point lead to 2 with 3 minutes left on the clock. He has the momentum on his side and his opponent continues to collapse (literally) and do the wrong thing at every opportunity (basket of deplorables).
Trump picked up momentum and cut into the lwad. However, it has also stabalized over the last two weeks as Clinton's chances as per the three 538 models have been within a few points of 70% range.

Old 09-13-2016, 08:34 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,026,245 times
I'm sorry but the media would not be reporting a two way match up if Hillary Clinton didn't look better than Trump in the make believe two way race rather than the actual 4 way.

I'm not sure if the pollsters are in the tank for Clinton. I don't think they are. I think they report results based on two poll questions (with and without Stein/Johnson) so they can choose which one makes them look more accurate the day after Election Day. I call that "cheating" for the purpose of making more money and getting more publicity not cheating to make Clinton look better.

But what's the media's excuse for making a fictitious two way contest more important in their news story. Yes, the real race is between Clinton and Trump but it should be reported only with the 4 candidates because Johnson and Stein do have an impact on the Clinton vs Trump numbers.

Old 09-13-2016, 08:42 AM

11,988 posts, read 5,295,922 times
Stu Rothnberg: "Clinton's Narrow Lead Bigger Than It Looks"

We live in partisan times where relatively few swing voters are up for grabs. That's the gist of the article. Here's the percentage of the vote that the D nominee has won in the last 4 elections in swing states.

Florida: 48.8%, 47.1%, 50%, 51% (spread of 3.9%)
Ohio: 46.5%, 48.7%, 51.5%, 50.7% (5 point spread)
PA: 50.6%, 50.9%, 54.5%. 52% (3.9% spread)

Quote:
"But being ‘close’ isn’t the same thing as saying a state is a ‘toss up’ or both candidates have the same chance of winning it.”

“And because of that, the Clinton-Trump race can be both ‘competitive’ and even ‘close’ in a state and nationally, but at the same time clearly favor one nominee – in this case Clinton.” ."
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ng-on-clinton/

Old 09-13-2016, 08:56 AM

22,190 posts, read 19,470,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I'm sorry but the media would not be reporting a two way match up if Hillary Clinton didn't look better than Trump in the make believe two way race rather than the actual 4 way.

I'm not sure if the pollsters are in the tank for Clinton. I don't think they are. I think they report results based on two poll questions (with and without Stein/Johnson) so they can choose which one makes them look more accurate the day after Election Day. I call that "cheating" for the purpose of making more money and getting more publicity not cheating to make Clinton look better.

But what's the media's excuse for making a fictitious two way contest more important in their news story. Yes, the real race is between Clinton and Trump but it should be reported only with the 4 candidates because Johnson and Stein do have an impact on the Clinton vs Trump numbers.

I think one of the factors regarding the two way abd four way polling is third party candidates have typically polled better than Election Day results so it might be to protect against that. Also Stein isn't on the ballot in every state, Johnson is.

Old 09-13-2016, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
I think one of the factors regarding the two way abd four way polling is third party candidates have typically polled better than Election Day results so it might be to protect against that. Also Stein isn't on the ballot in every state, Johnson is.
I believe someone earlier touched on Silver commenting that by this time in the race, 3rd parties won't be dropping much from where they're currently polling.

Old 09-13-2016, 09:12 AM

3,079 posts, read 3,122,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
Stu Rothnberg: "Clinton's Narrow Lead Bigger Than It Looks"

We live in partisan times where relatively few swing voters are up for grabs. That's the gist of the article. Here's the percentage of the vote that the D nominee has won in the last 4 elections in swing states.

Florida: 48.8%, 47.1%, 50%, 51% (spread of 3.9%)
Ohio: 46.5%, 48.7%, 51.5%, 50.7% (5 point spread)
PA: 50.6%, 50.9%, 54.5%. 52% (3.9% spread)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ng-on-clinton/
I would prefer a landslide election result in her favor but if its close, Trump has ZERO ground game. He has no GOTV operation in any of the toss-up states. He is running his campaign ground game like his private business model and unfortunately for him and his supporters claiming bankruptcy won't win him the White House.

Old 09-13-2016, 09:16 AM

4,120 posts, read 6,611,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtodd View Post
I would prefer a landslide election result in her favor but if its close, Trump has ZERO ground game. He has no GOTV operation in any of the toss-up states. He is running his campaign ground game like his private business model and unfortunately for him and his supporters claiming bankruptcy won't win him the White House.
Ground game is worth about 2 points in the poll. A lot of her money isn't being spent on ads like Trumps, instead it is going to local campaign staffs and the ground game. These staffers register people to vote and arrange for them to have transportation to vote and make sure they are reminded to vote.

I would go in and honestly add 2 points to her poll numbers in states because Trump has no ground game to speak of.

Old 09-13-2016, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
Ground game is worth about 2 points in the poll. A lot of her money isn't being spent on ads like Trumps, instead it is going to local campaign staffs and the ground game. These staffers register people to vote and arrange for them to have transportation to vote and make sure they are reminded to vote.

I would go in and honestly add 2 points to her poll numbers in states because Trump has no ground game to speak of.
Hahahaha - a spin on "the polls are rigged" that Trump supporters have been bashed for. Hillary has the silent 2% to combat Trump's silent 4%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections