Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2016, 11:41 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,936,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~HecateWhisperCat~ View Post
I didn't say President. The fundamentals are still the same though. You don't need to be a politician or a professional to win political office. Has nothing to do with that and everything to do with likability. Ronald Reagan was an entertainer and people laughed at him for wanting to run for CA the governor. He was able to connect with the broader electorate though. Trump can connect with a portion of it but he seems to be stuck getting past that. Just like Clinton has her core support and isn't making much in the way of gains elsewhere. These two are just deeply unliked. And it doesn't bode well for either of their chances or Presidencies either.
Totally different. Running for president means your every word and move is under the spotlight. Forums, blogs, Twitter, Facebook, 5+ 24/7 news channels, newspapers, magazines, etc. Anything you say or don't say will become national news within a few hours. Most people probably can't even name their governor or senator - therefore the margin for error is far greater simply due to people not keeping up with those races.

Old 09-18-2016, 11:58 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,281,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Totally different. Running for president means your every word and move is under the spotlight. Forums, blogs, Twitter, Facebook, 5+ 24/7 news channels, newspapers, magazines, etc. Anything you say or don't say will become national news within a few hours. Most people probably can't even name their governor or senator - therefore the margin for error is far greater simply due to people not keeping up with those races.
Yeah, no. Not different at all in fundamentals. If Trump came off as Presidential he could easily still maintain some aspect of being bombastic Trump. He spent most of the election season acting like a toddler in the midst of a tantrum though. "I will be Americans greatest cheerleader." <----Bombastic yet framed well enough for people to find him appealing.

"Never met but never liked dopey Robert Gates. Look at the mess the U.S. is in. Always speaks badly of his many bosses, including Obama." <------ Bombastic and makes him look like a 3 year old. Has nothing to do with him being polished and everything to do with him being a gigantic jackass.

Old 09-18-2016, 12:14 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Quote:
Yeah, no. Not different at all in fundamentals. If Trump came off as Presidential he could easily still maintain some aspect of being bombastic Trump. He spent most of the election season acting like a toddler in the midst of a tantrum though. "I will be Americans greatest cheerleader." <----Bombastic yet framed well enough for people to find him appealing.

"Never met but never liked dopey Robert Gates. Look at the mess the U.S. is in. Always speaks badly of his many bosses, including Obama." <------ Bombastic and makes him look like a 3 year old. Has nothing to do with him being polished and everything to do with him being a gigantic jackass.
That is not the worst of it. He kept it going last night (another fatal Trump flaw) with this at his CO rally:

Quote:
"We had a clown today, an absolute clown, Robert Gates," Trump told a crowd. "He's supposed to be an expert. He's been there forever ... he goes out and he says negative things about me. I never met him. I never talked to him. Believe me, I am so much better at what he's doing than he is."

Old 09-18-2016, 12:21 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,936,246 times
Quote:

Like I said, name me the last non-politician that ran for president. Surely you can name one.

Two things can be fundamentally the same while still being world's apart. For example, little league is fundamentally the same as playing baseball for the Yankees, but in reality it's two completely different things. Having some sort of experience in politics makes one wise to political-speak and when to speak and not speak.

Old 09-18-2016, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Like I said, name me the last non-politician that ran for president. Surely you can name one.

Two things can be fundamentally the same while still being world's apart. For example, little league is fundamentally the same as playing baseball for the Yankees, but in reality it's two completely different things. Having some sort of experience in politics makes one wise to political-speak and when to speak and not speak.
Oh stop it. You are embarrassing yourself. It is not a lack of political experience that leads one to call a former CIA Director, President of Texas A&M, and 5 year Secretary of Defense in two adminstrations, not to mention a member of your own party, "a clown".

Old 09-18-2016, 12:32 PM

Quote:

Eddie if you want to believe that people don't like Trump because he is just folks, then more power to you. It doesn't change the fact that his popularity is in the sub zero regions the same as hers. In the end it doesn't matter who wins because neither of them is them will be serving more than one term.

Old 09-18-2016, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Oh stop it. You are embarrassing yourself. It is not a lack of political experience that leads one to call a former CIA Director, President of Texas A&M, and 5 year Secretary of Defense in two adminstrations, not to mention a member of your own party, "a clown".
I don't even buy that one because he has had professional politicians try to work with him and alter his image. He seems set on ignoring pretty much anything that he doesn't want to hear though.

Old 09-18-2016, 12:51 PM

Quote:
2/3 think he isn't qualified yet he's tied in the polls. What does that say about Hillary? She's liked about as well as a raging case of herpes?
About the same 2/3 think she IS qualified. Both she and Trump are viewed unfavorably. So it comes down to here are two candidates I don't like. One of them is qualified and the other is not. One of them will be president. Don't like but qualified versus don't and not qualified. It's a pretty easy decision.

Old 09-18-2016, 01:06 PM

784 posts, read 923,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
If Gates is your kind of supposed "Expert" you may want to rethink your definition of an "Expert".

Gates is just another bumbling insider who wants to continue his gravy train of talking about things of which he failed miserably at......sorry but nobody is listening to your so called "Expert" anymore.

Old 09-18-2016, 01:16 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,628,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Yeah. I can see why women wouldn't go that direction. I'm so heavily biased against Hillary that I can't see why any breathing human being would support her, other than a protest vote against Trump and the belief that a vote for Johnson is "a wasted vote".

But back in '92 I couldn't see why Clinton attracted all the women voters, when he was a known womanizer. The, when his reputation got worse, they supported him again in '96.
He never did get 50% of the popular vote.
There's an enormous difference between Bill Clinton and Donald Trump - as loathsome as Clinton was, he was still a charmer, with the natural ability to talk a bird down out of a tree and into the mouth of a cat. Trump, on the other hand, is a crude, revolting, buffoonish oaf, fat and puffy, with a clownish mop of orange hair elaborately swept and piled like a cotton candy cone to hide his bald head. All he needs is a leisure suit and a neck chain.

Ponderosa's got an excellent point - every woman old enough to vote has had at least one creepy, oily buffoon like Trump come up to her in a bar and drive her to the edge of vomiting. Sure, some women are going to vote for him, but most women of voting age long ago developed an instinct to spot creeps like Trump and avoid them like the plague. They've got a radar for men like Trump. A lot of women who haven't seen anything but brief clips of him on the news over the last few months will be watching him for hours at a time in the debates, and they're going to see how he handles himself, how he speaks, how he communicates and presents himself. I think his numbers among women may drop considerably over the next few weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections