Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2022, 07:20 PM

7,826 posts, read 2,729,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJuanStar View Post
So is the millions of immigrants trying cross here and I don't see your party bringing it up. So is our drug epidemic and homeless crisis. Crickets from the Democrat party but the #1 issue is ECONOMY/RECESSION. That's THE ISSUE.
Those are issues and now the Republicans are running away from talking about abortion rights...post Kansas.

Old 08-06-2022, 07:20 PM

13,694 posts, read 9,011,664 times
Quote:
^^^^^^ more TDS. Trump is not on the ballot but RECESSION is, which Democrats wants to tell Americans that the economy is doing great and change the definition. That should be an insult to any American. That's like a mechanic telling you your car is fine pay the bill but you know is not. Would you keep that mechanic?

Abortion isn't an issue and it shouldn't be an issue because over 40 states it's legal and NO changes and the 10 states or less that are RED, the people will decide separately and not turn the state red to blue under a recession. The S.C. return abortions to the states, why would they want Congress to decide this?

Democrats are lying about abortions like they are lying about recession. Your post is about your wishful thinking not reality.
Why, you are simply making up numbers.

As of now, 20 states plus DC will keep abortion rights.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...alization-roe/

As for 'recession', the National Bureau of Economic Research has the responsibility for declaring a 'recession'

They have not done so. Why? Because while the latest report indicate a 0.9 percent contraction of the economy, such figures are usually revised. Hence, the NBER will wait until revisions have been taken into account.

Indeed, as per Forbes:

" A recession is a significant decline in economic activity that lasts for months or even years. Experts declare a recession when a nation’s economy experiences negative gross domestic product (GDP), rising levels of unemployment, falling retail sales, and contracting measures of income and manufacturing for an extended period of time."

https://www.forbes.com/advisor/inves...s-a-recession/

Note the 'significant' decline language, as well as 'rising levels of unemployment'.

I submit that the contraction, in the last quarter, of 0.9 percent, is not 'significant', especially since it may be upgraded in the next report (or, of course, downgraded), while unemployment has fallen (see latest figure of 3.5 percent).

Inflation? A concern without a doubt. But the last inflationary figures were based on prices two months ago. Since then, gasoline prices have fallen quite a bit. Indeed, if you look at oil futures, then prices will fall more in the next two months.

Note: I have oil royalty income, so I watch the future prices. In short, when you see that West Texas crude is selling for $ per barrel, that is for delivery in two months. During the past month, the price of West Texas crude has fallen significantly, for delivery in October.

I will add that beef prices are falling. Why? Because of the drought affecting Texas and states north. Simply put, when there is no water for cattle, ranchers will rather sell the cattle and so cut their loses, rather than watch the cattle die of lack of water. A friend in south Texas told me, a month ago, that he and other ranchers were selling their cattle. That due to the splurge in cattle at auction, beef prices will plummet. That after the several months of plunging prices, the supply will run out, and beef prices will again head up in a drastic fashion.

So, right before the mid-terms, beefs prices will be very low.

My advice: if you eat beef, stock up your freezer. For by Christmas the prices will be well up.

Old 08-06-2022, 10:42 PM

78,432 posts, read 60,628,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
Biden missed that opportunity I agree but he is doing what every President has done during inflationary times or recession. Blame someone else, when in reality inflation and recession aren't caused by the actions of any specific Administration - nor can they be solved by it. If we could point the finger at one specific culprit for this round of inflation it is Mother Nature. She's the one that brought us Covid.
...and yet he and his administration demonized companies like Kroger for having a 2% profit margin.

Sorry. You don't get to scream "anti-science" for 2 years and then try to shrug off blaming Kroger for inflation, or putin, or gas stations etc.

Basically to sum up your moves, it's:

1) Blast the opposing party for making excuses.
2) Excuse the party you like because the other party made excuses.

P.S. We already have posters citing "record profits" ugh, sweet baby J they must not work in any serious analytical job because *that* type of garbage would get me fired....or put on disability for dementia.

Old 08-06-2022, 10:53 PM

78,432 posts, read 60,628,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoy64 View Post
Those are issues and now the Republicans are running away from talking about abortion rights...post Kansas.
The difference between Kansas and California is that at least in Kansas, the voters can separate issues from party. Kinda embarrassing for CA frankly.

KS can see nuances and while they may overall support a R platform they can consider abortion separately.

Um, that's almost well....liberal thinking in its classical form....crazy huh?

Shows the flaw in the whole red v blue state thing but that was designed to simplify things for the 65% of the country near the top of the bell curve or to the left of the downslope of the peak. Or just uneducated or too young to have any historical knowledge.

Old 08-07-2022, 12:44 AM

7,542 posts, read 11,578,218 times
The will

Taking away abortions

Not supporting more gun control after the Uvalde mass shooting

Making it harder to vote which they believe there was mass voter after they got spanked in the 2020 election

Supporting Trump acting like he is the 2nd coming of Jesus two times over

These things will kill them in the mid term election they can not lie their way away from these things

Old 08-07-2022, 01:30 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 25 days ago)

29,560 posts, read 16,548,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
The difference between Kansas and California is that at least in Kansas, the voters can separate issues from party. Kinda embarrassing for CA frankly.

KS can see nuances and while they may overall support a R platform they can consider abortion separately.

Um, that's almost well....liberal thinking in its classical form....crazy huh?

Shows the flaw in the whole red v blue state thing but that was designed to simplify things for the 65% of the country near the top of the bell curve or to the left of the downslope of the peak. Or just uneducated or too young to have any historical knowledge.
Except, they didnt separate the issues from the party philosophically, they literally decoupled it and put it on the ballot separately.

While that is indeed liberalism, thats not something Republicans can be proud of, or the people of Kansas, it proves they vote against their best interest based on fear mongering by the GOP.

Every state has unique issues, California's tends to be Housing costs because everyone wants to live in the same 8 cities. property taxes and even state income taxes are not high relative to the rest of the nation, income and property values are simply high compared to the rest of the nation.

California's property tax is 34th out of 50

Income tax rate for median household(78K) in California is 8%, 6% if you file separately , or are jsut single, LOL. that puts them at about 12th out of 50

(The top tax rate in the state is the one most conservatives talk about, but it starts at 1.250 million.

You are going to pay more in taxes at the same income level in states like Idaho( which a lot of people claim they left california for, LOL)

Most of the California hate isnt logical or at the least, doesnt look at context

Old 08-07-2022, 01:47 AM

13,461 posts, read 4,295,282 times
California has the highest state sales tax rate (7.25%) in the nation

The top 8 highest income tax states (or legal jurisdictions) for 2021 are:
  • California 13.3%
  • Hawaii 11%
  • New Jersey 10.75%
  • Oregon 9.9%
  • Minnesota 9.85%
  • District of Columbia 8.95%
  • New York 8.82%
  • Vermont 8.75%
New Jersey has the highest property tax:
  • Essex County, New Jersey 16.86%
  • Passaic County, New Jersey 14.62%
  • Union County, New Jersey 12.70%
The top five states with the highest state and local tax combinations are:
  • New York 12.7%
  • Connecticut 12.6%
  • New Jersey 12.2%
  • Illinois 11.0%
  • California and Wisconsin 11.0%
What do all these states have in common? hmmm tough one.

Old 08-07-2022, 10:21 AM

9,173 posts, read 13,256,248 times
Default The GOP Could Blow this Election

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
In normal times, an inept, weak President like Biden would lead to massive midterm gains. But with the election deniers, Jan 6 defenders, and never mind abortion, votes against contraception, the GOP risks seriously underperforming the circumstances.

The Maryland Governor's race is the 1st casualty, but won't be the last. Somewhere, somehow GOP strategists need to cool the crazy that could derail what should be a huge midterm win for them.
Indeed, normally Biden and his Democrats should be punished and punished severely.

But today we learn that the Senate Republicans are on the side of the Big Pharma and tried to stop an attempt to put cost control on the price of insulin. I don't have diabeties but I do have asthma and I have seen the cost of asthma medicines skyrocket by pure greedy companies (until Trump got some generics approved) so I can understand how diabetics feel.

It is blind stupidity like this that costs Republicans elections.

Old 08-07-2022, 11:02 AM

8,943 posts, read 2,966,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Indeed, normally Biden and his Democrats should be punished and punished severely.

But today we learn that the Senate Republicans are on the side of the Big Pharma and tried to stop an attempt to put cost control on the price of insulin. I don't have diabeties but I do have asthma and I have seen the cost of asthma medicines skyrocket by pure greedy companies (until Trump got some generics approved) so I can understand how diabetics feel.

It is blind stupidity like this that costs Republicans elections.
What is "cost control" and when has the government EVER made anything "cheaper?"

Surely if you're a republican you understand that "greed" is nonsense. The market either supports, or does not support a certain price level. If it is possible to produce the product for a profit at a lower produce, SOMEONE WILL, because of competition.

Old 08-07-2022, 11:30 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,474,011 times
Quote:
the KKK was founded by the Democrat party and if you don't support fully the 2nd amendment then yes, you are a RINO.
I don`t support crazy people having the ability to slaughter a room full of 4th graders or people shopping for groceries. I`m a what?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections