Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2022, 02:58 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,475,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
Who supports that? What kind of strange analogy is this?
Those who are opposed to any attempt at gun control support random mass murder in schools, places of worship, grocery stores, movie theaters, etc.

Old 08-08-2022, 03:16 AM

10,473 posts, read 4,042,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
In normal times, an inept, weak President like Biden would lead to massive midterm gains. But with the election deniers, Jan 6 defenders, and never mind abortion, votes against contraception, the GOP risks seriously underperforming the circumstances.

The Maryland Governor's race is the 1st casualty, but won't be the last. Somewhere, somehow GOP strategists need to cool the crazy that could derail what should be a huge midterm win for them.
I used to be a democrat until the democrats started to try and chip away our second amendment rights and attack the NRA. Since then it's why I stopped voting for them and started to vote for Republicans. So right now, my constitutional rights trump everything else and the democrats constant attacking the second amendment is the reason why this former democrat will no longer vote for them.

Right next to it is the democrats wanting to use the LGBT community to make it legal for men to go into women's bathroom. It's just a smokescreen in my eyes and I am glad to see the Republicans sticking up for real women's rights and fight against this nonsense.

Old 08-08-2022, 06:12 AM

8,312 posts, read 3,930,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoy64 View Post
That's wishful thinking....Abortion IS an issue in the midterms.
At this point, if they didn't have mystical thinking, they wouldn't have anything at all. These are people that really, truly believe the Big Lie. Or if they aren't that dumb, they will SAY they believe it because that's one of the key strategies of any Fascist movement. Discredit the integrity of elections to pave the way for despotism.

This really isn't a discussion forum. It's an echo chamber. It's always been that way but after the emergence of Trump in 2016, it got even more ridiculous. Even so this forum provides a valuable public service. It gives the world a good view of the danger that America's right-wing cultists really pose.

Old 08-08-2022, 06:28 AM

8,312 posts, read 3,930,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
I used to be a democrat until the democrats started to try and chip away our second amendment rights and attack the NRA. Since then it's why I stopped voting for them and started to vote for Republicans. So right now, my constitutional rights trump everything else and the democrats constant attacking the second amendment is the reason why this former democrat will no longer vote for them.

Right next to it is the democrats wanting to use the LGBT community to make it legal for men to go into women's bathroom. It's just a smokescreen in my eyes and I am glad to see the Republicans sticking up for real women's rights and fight against this nonsense.
Smokescreens? Gun rights, abortion rights, LGBT rights and bathroom "issues" are simply levers that Republicans/Trumpists use to manipulate the pawns out in the heartland. The only reason that they pretend to care about your little pop-guns is because they want your allegiance.

Old 08-08-2022, 08:27 AM

2,388 posts, read 2,342,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoy64 View Post
That's wishful thinking....Abortion IS an issue in the midterms.
It's an issue if they keep overplaying their hand. When you let the evangelical therocrats take over messaging for the party you get polls tightening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHNh7TPOcl8&t=481s

Old 08-08-2022, 09:59 AM

7,511 posts, read 4,357,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post

Awesome!!!

Myself I never was a Democrat and never will be. Welcome aboard.

Old 08-08-2022, 10:29 AM

13,461 posts, read 4,295,282 times
It's funny, Democrats accuse Trump on the "big lie" but this is the same party that tells us everyday We are NOT in a recession and then changes the definition of recession. The same party that says voting I.D. laws are "Jim Crown on steroids" and the same party that told us for over a year that taking a drug will prevent you from getting it or spreading the virus.

What do you call that? regular lie? small lie? different view? They crack me up.

Old 08-08-2022, 10:41 AM

834 posts, read 467,236 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by amil23
As far as I'm concerned TheseGoTo11 pretty well summed up today's Republican party in his OP. It's ridiculous both parties have come to such extreme positions. It really leaves many to hold their noses at the ballot box. Then your representative many times doesn't represent his/her whole district, just his/her "party". And the press encourages this insanity. Is this the best we can do? Apparently so.

I don't. He repeats the Democratic talking points. If he thinks that the only thing wrong with the Democrats is Biden and the recession which this same administration lies everyday about it and changes the definition treating us like stupid kids then you are really clueless.
I don't happen to believe these are only Democrat talking points. I'm not going to criticize Biden except to say anyone without hero-worship blinders on can see this poor guy is in advanced mental decline. Heck. They even have to have his wife on stage with him practically every event to soothe him and guide him. If anyone deserves to go to jail for elder abuse it is the people who exploit this old crook for their own gain.
I have serious doubts as to the legitimacy of the elections like a lot of people and I agree something should have been done but look at the headline actions so far. Polls closing only to reopen later, televised poll workers boarding up polling place windows to prevent observation, a SC that absolutely refused to do what it is explicitly charged with in the constitution between Texas and Pennsylvania, the never-ending show-trial in the House of what happened on Jan. 6, when a few hundred loonies with a fire extinguisher and a wooden spear rioted at the capitol... Extremists in both parties have held their fellow Dems and Repubs captive for 1 1/2 years over something that should have been prosecuted and adjucated in a D.C. municipal court in a matter of weeks.
Repubs doggedly refusing to see that abortion, as barbaric and evil as it is, still should be a personal and private choice so they outlawed what, since at least Roman times, was simply ignored. I think this was done on purpose to further divide Americans. But the party of "freedom" and the Patriot Act bely their intentions by themselves legislating to the gnats behind how we conduct our lives.
Those who control what we see and hear, are even now crowing about the latest employment numbers, passing a climate boondoggle and doubling the size of the tax department and all we can talk about is a past election, show trials, and how proud we are of the Judas Goat who, realizing as he surely does how divisive and inflammatory his presence is on the national stage should have pointed out a number of people he would like to see the Repubs run as president and bid us all farewell but the press and his ego won't allow it.
Repubs are being set up. The American people at large have the attention span of a house fly and those who run things know it. But passion has taken the field and no amount of reason will slake the thirst for political blood.

Old 08-08-2022, 10:49 AM

7,826 posts, read 2,729,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
It's an issue if they keep overplaying their hand. When you let the evangelical therocrats take over messaging for the party you get polls tightening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHNh7TPOcl8&t=481s

Interesting video....I don't see eye to eye with everything this guy is about but he is correct about both extremes in the DNC and GOP. Example "Defund the Police" was the stupidest campaign slogan ever invented...regardless of the rationale for it....that's just not going to play with everyday Americans. I live in L.A. but I grew up in KY, so I get it..and I was just shaking my head when that was being bandied about. And it hurt the Dems in 2020...they lost seats in congress. And as described the Dems are notorious for being out of step with middle America. What galvanizes people in West L.A. doesn't work in Western KY.

In regards to recent overturning of Roe and Dobbs....now it's the GOP's turn to deal with their extreme's that are out of touch with most Americans and in this case it is the over reaching militant anti-abortion evangelicals. And I know this to be a fact they are not backing down and they have the GOP by the (fill in blank). When Roe was intact this worked well for the GOP because the extreme Pro-Life voters turned out in every election. Nobody every thought the SC would actually overturn Roe Dobbs. Well they did (the dog caught the car) and that's why the Kansas vote looks like it did...it was high turnout for a pro-choice referendum. It turns out that people who consider themselves Pro-Life are actually pro-Choice...they are just opposed to the extreme left positions of the issue. Indiana just passed a very restrictive Abortion ban...and as the Kansas vote pointed out...too restrictive for the everyday American. When Roe was intact the far left positions of Abortion were put into the spotlight....now that it is overturned the spot light and the headlines are on the far right positions of this issue.

The best case scenario I see for the GOP is that this just blunts the...Wave election...they are hoping for and they take the House which is more than likely to happen. The worst case scenario is that this galvanizes a traditionally low propensity youth vote...especially women...combined with a college educated suburban vote that would normally go GOP switching to dem...making the midterms a referendum on the Supreme Court and the overreach on this issue by states that are passing overly restrictive laws.

The GOP will have to talk about this without alienating voters they are depending on. We will know how it turns out come November. But I can tell you one thing, this issue will not fade with time.

Old 08-08-2022, 11:22 AM

5,097 posts, read 2,316,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
At this point, if they didn't have mystical thinking, they wouldn't have anything at all. These are people that really, truly believe the Big Lie. Or if they aren't that dumb, they will SAY they believe it because that's one of the key strategies of any Fascist movement. Discredit the integrity of elections to pave the way for despotism.

This really isn't a discussion forum. It's an echo chamber. It's always been that way but after the emergence of Trump in 2016, it got even more ridiculous. Even so this forum provides a valuable public service. It gives the world a good view of the danger that America's right-wing cultists really pose.
Things aren't going well anywhere Democrats are in charge, bub. Things aren't going well at a national level under a Democrat administration. People are fleeing Democrat-controlled states for more Republican-leaning states en masse. Democrat-controlled cities? Let's not even get started. No mystical thinking is needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections