Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2014, 08:46 AM

25 posts, read 20,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post
Why are you so afraid of Putin? What did he do to you? He really enjoys the support of most of the electorate, especially now, when the example of Ukraine see everything. Gays and other nonsense he thwarts, than further enhances the reputation of the people. And most importantly, he does not prevent people to live, does not climb into their privacy.
You are always talking about it, how about some villain. But 15 years ago, he prevented the collapse of Russia's, economy picked up, improved quality of life.
I'm watching on Russia, Belarus, etc to know how the alternative of Europe looks like. In my opinion it is looks ugly.
Some people say that for some nations a dictator or tzar is needed. As we can see Russians are among these nations. But Ukrainians are not. That is why I'm angry about Yanukovich's decision to make close union with Russia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2014, 08:56 AM

1,863 posts, read 5,150,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freader View Post
I'm watching on Russia, Belarus, etc to know how the alternative of Europe looks like. In my opinion it is looks ugly.
Some people say that for some nations a dictator or tzar is needed. As we can see Russians are among these nations. But Ukrainians are not. That is why I'm angry about Yanukovich's decision to make close union with Russia.
Yes, ugly and scary.

But I'm sure, lots of people in those countries like things as they are and are very happy. I'm sure, they have their reasons for that.

It seems to me that Yanukovich had this agenda long before he "decided" not to sign the agreement with the EU.

Last edited by movingwiththewind; 02-21-2014 at 09:05 AM..

Old 02-21-2014, 08:59 AM

847 posts, read 1,180,370 times
Quote:
Putin IS a monster.
He may be not ideal. But a "dictator" and "monster"? If you care about freedom of speech, I can assume you that journalists were killed in the the nineteenths. And not only them.

Old 02-21-2014, 09:06 AM

1,863 posts, read 5,150,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscovite View Post
He may be not ideal. But a "dictator" and "monster"? If you care about freedom of speech, I can assume you that journalists were killed in the the nineteenths. And not only them.
Muscovite, I'm sorry but what are you trying to say?

Old 02-21-2014, 09:08 AM

25 posts, read 20,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingwiththewind View Post
It seems to me that Yanukovich had this agenda long before he "decided" not to sign the agreement with the EU.
Absolutely right! I was surprised when he began to talk about agreement with EU and I thought - is he stupid ? Europeans will press him for "human rights", "democracy", "fair election", why he need this ? It is much better for him to choise union with "dictator's club" Russia's customs union.

Old 02-21-2014, 10:15 AM

26,790 posts, read 22,561,271 times
Quote:
I don't give a damn about Russia.
Then why do you keep on bringing Russia into discussion?

Quote:
I wish Russian people all the best and the leader they want and deserve who will make Russia even a better place to live, if this is what they want. I also strongly believe that Russia will continue to play an important role in the world affairs.
Truth to be told, Russians can't get the leader that they deserve, because there is too much threat of foreign involvement in the country, plus Russia is not without a danger of certain inner circles siding with foreign interests ( that the nineties clearly showed.) And the only reason of these foreign involvements ( as long as someone like Stalin isn't there,) is precisely that - that the West would love to see Russia not playing that "important role" in the world affairs any longer. Unfortunately for Russians, they can't sort their internal affairs and become democratic country ( or whatever they want to be,) because of that external pressure and oh - those natural resources that are so coveted by the West. That's why they choose the lesser of two evils and accept a dictator, as long as he keeps the country together. So Russians are not in the same situation as the Westerners, that are completely free to manage their own affairs. ( That is if we don't count the skirmishes between Europe and the US here and there.)

Quote:
As for the Ukraine, which is the focus of this thread, I wish it to become a part of the European community one day.
As I've said before - Europe is a club. If Ukraine is admitted to the club ( which will happen obviously only for a reason of pocking a stick into Russia's eye,) that doesn't mean that Ukrainians are going to be treated as equal. ( Just look at Poles or Balts as example.) The situation is sort of like in the US, where people of color are admitted, but not accepted as equal. When someone like NATO's Van Rompuy is announcing that "Ukraine belongs with Europe," it makes me chuckle. Yeah, Ukraine belongs to Europe, with all its seven millions of Russians; what, Europeans don't have enough of Russians among them by now? Rotflmao, particularly if anyone can explain to me how Russians living in Eastern Ukraine differ from Ukrainians exactly.
Quote:
In spite of strong ties with Russia in the past, I think, it should keep distance from Russia and remain an independent country.
It has been independent country for the last twenty years - was it not? Putin definitely didn't want it ( that would cost him too much money,) so what seems to be the problem?

Quote:
In the light of newest developments in the Ukraine, I think, Yanukovitch should bow to the wish of the majority of the Ukrainian people (yes, I believe, it is the wish of the majority of Ukrainians) and sign the Free Trade Agreement with the EU, which he supposed to do in the first place.
Why was he "supposed to do it" in the first place?
He was clearly shopping for a better deal economy wise; had EU offered him something better to begin with, why would he sign the deal with Russia? Did you pay attention at pitiful state of Ukrainian economy? Because that's what it's all primarily about. Psst, I'll tell you a secret - particularly if you are an American - "freedom and democracy" have direct connection with money and history of private property in the country - the laws, the protection of it on the lower echelon of the country - that kind of thing.

Quote:
After that, he and Putin can go to hell, as far as I'm concerned.
Well, if the world is spinning around according to your understanding and concerns, then to hell they both go, but if not, then sorry...

Last edited by erasure; 02-21-2014 at 10:33 AM..

Old 02-21-2014, 10:21 AM

5,786 posts, read 4,236,535 times
Quote:
Contradicting yourself a little?
No. Prohibited propaganda. At home you can do what you want.

Old 02-21-2014, 10:24 AM

Quote:
It's not "they" who came to this consensus.

It's Yanukovitch who was forced to allow it to happen under the pressure of the international community.

No, it's "they."
Because not only Yanukovitch has been forced to accept the conditions, but the brave revolutionaries were forced to hold their horses with their immediate demands, whatever they were. ( Particularly if you take in consideration that there were nationalists among them.)
I've pointed at the previous fistfights in Ukrainian Parliament for a reason.
That's what's happening there when there is no international community around to step in.

Old 02-21-2014, 10:25 AM

5,786 posts, read 4,236,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freader View Post
Some people say that for some nations a dictator or tzar is needed. As we can see Russians are among these nations.
Maybe you're right. Russia is too big and diverse country.

Old 02-21-2014, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post
Maybe you're right. Russia is too big and diverse country.
Not only that. Throughout history she has been under the constant threat of foreign interventions; a feature that she shares with third world countries by the way, particularly if they are rich in natural resources.
So Russia in this respect is a unique case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe