Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2014, 08:25 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,801,188 times

Advertisements

Finland
Estonia
Latvia
Lithuania
Poland
Czech Republic
Slovakia
Hungary

What does all these countries have in common? Yes, they've been a part of Russia and hated it. Does it hurt? It would hurt me. When you'll think about it, it's quite funny that those nations who actually have been a part of Russia seems to hate it, while others, like France or Spain don't.

Yeah, Russia and russianism didn't bring anything but misery to the regions that aren't Russia. "What have we done?", might a Russian ask. Well, you attempted to destroy us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2014, 08:28 AM

26,783 posts, read 22,537,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albion View Post
Merkel is right, Putin is living on another planet,his answers during the press conference proved that. The Russians should have him committed before he does any further damage.

But do the Russians have the balls to do that? I seriously doubt it.
You might not like to see the result of those changes. If Putin DOESN"T act adequately ( adequately according to Russian understanding,) in case of Donbass, and don't give hand to local population there, that might bring the Nationalists to power ( you don't think that only Ukrainians have them, now do you?)
Then we'll be talking about "the other planet" and whether you are ready to move to live there or not, after the Russian nationalists will take over the government.

Old 06-21-2014, 09:14 AM

1,704 posts, read 1,837,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
They themselves were the ones storming government buildings, police stations etc. screaming rassija rassija! The Dumbass region had it coming. Savages are given a taste of their own medicine.

Maybe. Still it doesn't answer my question : after all that bad blood on both sides, explain to me how they can still live in the same country in the future ? never heard of the Israelian-Palestinian conflict ? there are similarities here.
I've told many times in this thread if they can't/won't live in Ukraine anymore, they should move to Russia. Ukraine has every right to defend its territories from being taken over by Russia just because the people say "we won't leave our homes". If they can't accept that Ukraine's course is towards Europe now, OUT! But it seems moving to Russia or another "non-fascist" country isn't an option so what else is there to do. Right now they are begging to be killed.

Old 06-21-2014, 09:20 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,801,188 times
Tell me KuuKulgur, what would you do if the "eternal Russian" would arrive on your doorstep once again?

Old 06-21-2014, 09:31 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Finland
Estonia
Latvia
Lithuania
Poland
Czech Republic
Slovakia
Hungary

What does all these countries have in common? Yes, they've been a part of Russia and hated it. Does it hurt? It would hurt me. When you'll think about it, it's quite funny that those nations who actually have been a part of Russia seems to hate it, while others, like France or Spain don't.

Yeah, Russia and russianism didn't bring anything but misery to the regions that aren't Russia. "What have we done?", might a Russian ask. Well, you attempted to destroy us.
Same can be said for numerous countries; The French, British, Spanish Empires, the US, Germany, Sweden, India, China, etc; all have had significant numbers of people wanting to break away from them. Your own Finland did not want to be part of Sweden either. Even Scotland right now is in the middle of the debate whether to stay part of the UK or not.

Old 06-21-2014, 09:34 AM

I'd do the same as most Estonians, take up arms and prepare for the worst.

Old 06-21-2014, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Tell me KuuKulgur, what would you do if the "eternal Russian" would arrive on your doorstep once again?
It would depend what side he was on. Even many people in Finland during the Finnish Civil War welcomed Soviet assistance, just as many Finns welcomed Germany assistance. Outside assistance during internal conflicts is common. If Sweden invaded Estonia to recapture its former empire and Russia offered assistance, would Estonia refuse this assistance and be taken over by Sweden? Or what if Poland wanted to reclaim part of Estonia under a new Polish-Lithuanian commonwealth, would Estonia accept Russian assistance to repel the invaders?

Old 06-21-2014, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuuKulgur View Post
They themselves were the ones storming government buildings, police stations etc. screaming rassija rassija! The Dumbass region had it coming. Savages are given a taste of their own medicine.
Actually, the area is completely peaceful except for Kiev blasting away at it. But you know this of course, you just like stating elementary school things out there because that is your warped mentality.

Fact is, there would be zero violence if not for Kiev launching an offensive.

By the way, do you support Estonian independence? Tell me, at what point in history before 1918 was Estonia an independent country? And tell me why you think Estonia is entitled to its own self determination whereas the people of Donbas are not? And tell me why you think it is ok for Kiev to launch an offensive to reclaim Donbas, but you think it is not ok for the Soviets to launch on offensive on Estonia to reclaim what was lost because of the Russian Revolution?

Please, take your time, I know it will be difficult for you to explain why Estonia should be independent, yet Donbas should not be.

Old 06-21-2014, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
It would depend what side he was on. Even many people in Finland during the Finnish Civil War welcomed Soviet assistance, just as many Finns welcomed Germany assistance. Outside assistance during internal conflicts is common. If Sweden invaded Estonia to recapture its former empire and Russia offered assistance, would Estonia refuse this assistance and be taken over by Sweden? Or what if Poland wanted to reclaim part of Estonia under a new Polish-Lithuanian commonwealth, would Estonia accept Russian assistance to repel the invaders?
Russia is our only imperialist neighbour, that poses a real threat. The others grew out of this stage, but Russia got stuck there.

Old 06-21-2014, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuuKulgur View Post
Russia is our only imperialist neighbour, that poses a real threat. The others grew out of this stage, but Russia got stuck there.
You state Russia is an imperialist neighbor, how is that? What really has Russia done?

They occupied Crimea, I will give you that (and I disagree with the occupation), but anyone would have to give a degree of understanding of the situation in its entirety to understand the issues surrounding it. This is why even the West and Ukraine itself is not up in arms much about it like they were when Iraq invaded Kuwait. The national security aspect of Crimea is understood as well as the fact numerous people in Crimea side more with Russia than with Ukraine. Go to Crimea sometime and you will see the difference than in Kiev.

Issue is; global powers decades/centuries ago did all their annexing to preserve the national security status of their state, now will do anything to keep from anyone else doing this. While everyone will state "this is the modern age now", it is easy to state this under the development of states who annexed and suppressed populations to get to this stage. It is easy to build your castle, then proclaim no one else can after you are done with it.

As I stated before, these border issues should have been solved with the break-up of the USSR, but they were never addressed. The borders do not reflect the reality on the ground. The borders were drawn by Soviet leaders with the USSR concerns in mind, not individual republics and people. The border issues now are the same issues the Middle East and Africa has, which continue to cause conflict. This issue also is in Central Asia as shown with the constant Kyrgyz-Uzbek problems for example.

If Russia was truly imperialist, it would have annexed Ossetia and Abakhazia, and it would have annexed Georgia as well, none of this happened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe