Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2014, 02:28 AM

5,786 posts, read 4,230,293 times

Advertisements

Good analytics if you know Russian language..

Colonel Cassad -
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2014, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
No, looks like Putin didn't approve the "peace plan" suggested by Poroshenko, but I'll be looking for more details.

P.S. OK, this is what I read here more or less...

"Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs denied that it gave the approval to Poroshenko's "peace plan."

"We were surprised to learn the commentaries made by Ukrainian ministry regarding this conversation, that state that the ministers support the plan of Ukrainian president, making stress on "effective control of Ukrainian border." First of all, it doesn't correlate to reality of things; it's difficult to support something that doesn't yet exist.

Also, the Russian Ministry underlined that during the telephone conversation with his Ukrainian colleague, Lavrov called on Kiev to "negotiate with those, who really control situation in the South-East of the country."

?????????? ??? ???????? ??????????? ?????????? ??????? ? ????????? «???????» ????? ????????? | ??????? ?????
Cunning plan is that the first item is "To ensure the safety of all participants in the negotiations." But Poroshenko says that he does not think the leaders of the rebel republics legitimate and he will not negotiate with them. In fact, this plan is an ultimatum. Rebels are given a chance to lay down their arms and surrender. At the same time, Ukraine actively regroup forces.

Old 06-21-2014, 02:56 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,871,003 times
Reading this thread, I came to realize that most writers (erasure, movingwiththewind, the Slowak guy, Muscovite, Maxim Frolov, etc.) either are from Russia/Ukraine (which seems pretty logical) or neighbouring Eastern European countries.
I would like here to give another maybe more objective (?) opinion from Western Europe, far away from the troubled region. Maybe the distance helps see things more clearly.
Historically what is striking is the whole of East-Central Europe always changed borders , even "recently" (the Sévres and Trianon treaties in 1919); there are no delimitations (Limes)going back to the Roman Empire like the Hadrian Wall in northern England. Denmark for instance is the most ancient kingdom , not only of Europe, but of the world. The borders between Portugal and Spain and France and Spain (Pyrenees Peace ending the thirty years war in the 17th century) didn't move since the Middle Ages.
But east of the Prut river there you have, a gigantic plain , where invasions and Völkerwanderungen (Attila, Gengis Khan) happened throughout history. Those plains remind me of the American Midwest where the borders between the (geometrical) states follow the meridian lines. It's not very different after all from the Russian -Ukrainian borders in the Donbass. On side of a bit corn (or is it sunflower?) field is on the Ukrainian side, the other on the Russian side. What I mean, it's arbitrary. No natural borders here.
Thus we have to realize that what's important here is not the territory but the population.
If the people of the Donetsk-in its majority- feel that they can't go on living prisoners of completely artificial borders-so be it. I believe the well-being and welfare of people are more important than the (systematically violated anyway since decolonization and "desovietization")"religious" dogma of the inchangability of established borders. Human reality must take precedence over dogma. We should know better in the 21st century.

Old 06-21-2014, 03:27 AM

If you think that people of Donbass are afraid Russians mercenaries, see the story of the Ukrainian TV (Russian language)

Refugees in Kharkov say they accuse Ukraine of murders, that their husbands are fighting there and they want to turn the Donbass in Russia. Ukrainian reporter accuses them, that they have arrived in Kharkiv. According to her, they had to go to Russia.

Old 06-21-2014, 04:03 AM

to put everything in perspective here : I live in a small town close to Paris (how many miles from Ukraine? it's far, but not that far, 3 hours flight maybe).
The main street is adorned with Brazilian flags. At the bakery, the baker is dressed in a yellowgreen uniform with cap (the colors of Brazilian supporters). I believe that if I were to question people in the street, most of them, in spite of Internet and cable tv, wouldn't even know there is a war raging on in Eastern Ukraine. We could as well be in Brazil (or in Portugal, there many Portuguese flags too since there are many Portuguese immigrants here).
Talk of "Europe"! what a sham...

Old 06-21-2014, 05:09 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,799,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
to put everything in perspective here : I live in a small town close to Paris (how many miles from Ukraine? it's far, but not that far, 3 hours flight maybe).
The main street is adorned with Brazilian flags. At the bakery, the baker is dressed in a yellowgreen uniform with cap (the colors of Brazilian supporters). I believe that if I were to question people in the street, most of them, in spite of Internet and cable tv, wouldn't even know there is a war raging on in Eastern Ukraine. We could as well be in Brazil (or in Portugal, there many Portuguese flags too since there are many Portuguese immigrants here).
Talk of "Europe"! what a sham...
Well what would you like to see? The hammer and sickle all around the place? Lenin statues?

Old 06-21-2014, 06:39 AM

Well what would you like to see? The hammer and sickle all around the place? Lenin statues?
No, of course. That's not what I'm saying. What I'm saying that the "europe" in whose name people are slaughtered in the Donbass right now doesn't even exist in the mind of people here. The Portuguese here , even, are the grandchildren of the workers who came here en masse in the sixties, when Portugal was a (benign) dictatorship and not even a member of the EU.
Fifty years later although they have the French nationality, who are they supporting ? the Portuguese team. They don't feel full-fledged French. And France never bombed Portugal and has never been at war with Portugal since Napoleon I (it was a long time ago). And you believe one minute that the people of the Donbass will ever feel Ukrainian after what Ukraine has done to them? they would be masochistic then.

Old 06-21-2014, 06:47 AM

1,704 posts, read 1,837,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
No, of course. That's not what I'm saying. What I'm saying that the "europe" in whose name people are slaughtered in the Donbass right now doesn't even exist in the mind of people here. The Portuguese here , even, are the grandchildren of the workers who came here en masse in the sixties, when Portugal was a (benign) dictatorship and not even a member of the EU.
Fifty years later although they have the French nationality, who are they supporting ? the Portuguese team. They don't feel full-fledged French. And France never bombed Portugal and has never been at war with Portugal since Napoleon I (it was a long time ago). And you believe one minute that the people of the Donbass will ever feel Ukrainian after what Ukraine has done to them? they would be masochistic then.

They themselves were the ones storming government buildings, police stations etc. screaming rassija rassija! The Dumbass region had it coming. Savages are given a taste of their own medicine.

Old 06-21-2014, 06:54 AM

They themselves were the ones storming government buildings, police stations etc. screaming rassija rassija! The Dumbass region had it coming. Savages are given a taste of their own medicine.

Maybe. Still it doesn't answer my question : after all that bad blood on both sides, explain to me how they can still live in the same country in the future ? never heard of the Israelian-Palestinian conflict ? there are similarities here.

Old 06-21-2014, 08:07 AM

1,028 posts, read 1,121,780 times
The facts you need to know about Kiev regime

https://vk.com/ygfront?z=video-68494...224ed3602350b7
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe