Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2014, 11:24 AM

5,786 posts, read 4,231,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuuKulgur View Post
Economies relaying on exporting resources are typical to underdeveloped countries.
And it's a lie. Exploration, production and transportation of oil - this is a very complicated process. They are much more difficult than, for example, the automobile industry or mining sprat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2014, 11:32 AM

1,704 posts, read 1,837,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post
Quality of life is higher in Russia than in Ukraine. This confirms the fact that in Russia employs about 5 million Ukrainians.
Ukraine's quality of life is higher than that of Ethiopia, does this make it a desirable place to live?

Old 06-21-2014, 11:37 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,249,539 times
Quote:
Ukraine's quality of life is higher than that of Ethiopia, does this make it a desirable place to live?
Probably not.

Old 06-21-2014, 11:42 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times
Quote:
Doesn't matter what Estonia offers but apparently it's more than Russia has to offer otherwise the local Russians would be moving back but this is not the case. Economies relaying on exporting resources are typical to underdeveloped countries.

Yes Kiev under Russian orientated presidents has caused nothing but misery, why would it be any different from now on. Again, what does one expect to get if you start to seize government buildings with weapons? But actually I think the Donbass people don't deserve anything but Russia itself.
So, who was president of Ukraine from 2005 - 2010? What happened during this period? Oh yes, things became even worse and Yanukovich was voted back into office. So much for those non-Russian influenced politicians making things better.

And why would you, or anyone, expect Ukraine to become better under yet another oligarch, who appoints other oligarchs to run the districts?

And what did Maidan protesters do? DI they no seize government buildings as well? Did they not have weapons? Of course they did.

"Economies relaying on exporting resources are typical to underdeveloped countries."

Australia, Norway, Canada...need I go on? Remove their resource exports and their economies would sink like a rock, quickly. These countries and others are able to maintain their banking, service sector, and their gov sector economies only due to the availability of resources, and in the case of the US, the US dollar being the petro-currency.

Old 06-21-2014, 11:52 AM

Quote:
All honestly, in regards to quality of life in Russia and Ukraine, it depends where you live. Having lived in Russia and had an extended stay in Ukraine with lots of trips there, the quality of life depends where a person lives.

I found Ukraine much better than areas in and around the Moscow/St. Pete area. Difficult to explain, but Ukraine was over all a better place to reside. In Russia, I found and there has been poles that has shown, the area closer to The Don and Kuban as the place with the happiest residents, along with areas out in Siberia like Barnaul area I also found these are also closer to the traditional "Slavic" ways, than around Moscow. I found this same "Slavic" ways to be in Kiev and about every where in Ukraine as well.

I also found people in Ukraine, regardless of ethnicity, easier to deal with than in the Moscow area of Russia, but getting out from Moscow everything seems to get more relaxed with more relaxed people.

So while quality of life regarding economics is easy to see on paper, Russia towers above Ukraine, it is much more difficult than that, and really depends on the individual. Just like many places, even in the US, people are many times forced to live in places due to economic opportunities, not that they like the place.

Old 06-21-2014, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Ask the Ukrainians. In reality, if a Ukrainian from the southeast will not show your passport, then no one will not distinguish him from the Russian. Language, education, behavior patterns are practically identical.

Yesterday I brought a video where militants seized the APC. In Russia, this was an active discussion of who these rebels: Russian or Ukrainian. Nobody was able to prove his point.

Old 06-21-2014, 12:02 PM

4,491 posts, read 6,343,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Australia, Norway, Canada...need I go on? Remove their resource exports and their economies would sink like a rock, quickly. These countries and others are able to maintain their banking, service sector, and their gov sector economies only due to the availability of resources, and in the case of the US, the US dollar being the petro-currency.
Well, judging by the export tree maps of Russia, Norway and Canada, Russia is clearly the most dependent on natural resources. By far.

File:Russian Export Treemap (2011).png - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
File:Norwar Exports Tree Map (2009).pdf - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
File:Canada Products Export Treemap 2012.png - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-21-2014, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
All honestly, in regards to quality of life in Russia and Ukraine, it depends where you live. Having lived in Russia and had an extended stay in Ukraine with lots of trips there, the quality of life depends where a person lives.

I found Ukraine much better than areas in and around the Moscow/St. Pete area. Difficult to explain, but Ukraine was over all a better place to reside. In Russia, I found and there has been poles that has shown, the area closer to The Don and Kuban as the place with the happiest residents, along with areas out in Siberia like Barnaul area I also found these are also closer to the traditional "Slavic" ways, than around Moscow. I found this same "Slavic" ways to be in Kiev and about every where in Ukraine as well.

I also found people in Ukraine, regardless of ethnicity, easier to deal with than in the Moscow area of Russia, but getting out from Moscow everything seems to get more relaxed with more relaxed people.

So while quality of life regarding economics is easy to see on paper, Russia towers above Ukraine, it is much more difficult than that, and really depends on the individual. Just like many places, even in the US, people are many times forced to live in places due to economic opportunities, not that they like the place.
In Moscow, the highest wages in the former Soviet space. For example, I am a programmer 1c (accounting system). My income in Moscow is $ 4300 a month ($ 21 per hour). Ukrainians get just as much, if get granted a work permit. In Kiev, the salary is much less.

Old 06-21-2014, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
It was not "who is the most dependent", it was "who is dependent".

Those countries and others are dependent on their exported natural resources, technology to extract resources, investment into resource extraction companies, etc. Also, Russia has a very diversified resource export market though oil and gas are the heavy weight in this area.

But even a cursory look at a wiki page over the Russian economy shows that it is more than just a "gas station".

Old 06-21-2014, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post
In Moscow, the highest wages in the former Soviet space. For example, I am a programmer 1c (accounting system). My income in Moscow is $ 4300 a month ($ 21 per hour). Ukrainians get just as much, if get granted a work permit. In Kiev, the salary is much less.
This is why I said economic aside, I was talking about non-economic factors regarding quality of life. But economics is the primary factor in quality of life issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe