Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2014, 11:28 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,343,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscovite View Post
But the man, who sent tanks in 1968 was born in Ukraine. The other one, who made this in 1956 was born in Ukraine. Why are blaming us, not them?
I guess those are the drawbacks of being the official successor of the Soviet Union.

Anyhow. Pointing fingers is stupid. Especially when you are judging a whole nation by it's political leader. Who's politics are more than questionable nevertheless... But that's not the fault of the average Russian. To generalize is to be an idiot...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2014, 11:46 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
I guess those are the drawbacks of being the official successor of the Soviet Union.
Yes, a drawback not because of being the successor, but due to the lack of education and the political machines of certain countries needing to blame someone for their shortcomings.

Russia was a successor only because it was the largest republic, and contained the largest (I think majority) of the population. In exchange for this, Russia obtaining the Soviet seat on the Security Council (throw in all of the embassies as well). The most important issue in all of this was repayment of Soviet debt, in which Russia took in exchange for the Council seat and other dealings; this issue of debt was very important as some countries like Germany loaned a lot and would had the economic impact of losing such a large loan amount.

All the other Soviet republics agreed to this (Baltic states I think abstained for other reasons), and you notice just how peaceful and kind everyone was with each other after this? It is amazing how kind former Soviet republics were to Russia when the issue of Soviet debt repayment and Soviet successor issues were being played out.

But blaming Russia for every Soviet atrocity? Ridiculous. Every republic had their hands dirty, the Soviets had support from every ethnic group and nationality. Numerous leaders in the Soviet system came from every republic, ethnicity, and nation. Extend this out to the Warsaw Pact, where numerous leaders took full advantage of their position within the communist society.

Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
Anyhow. Pointing fingers is stupid. Especially when you are judging a whole nation by it's political leader. Who's politics are more than questionable nevertheless... But that's not the fault of the average Russian. To generalize is to be an idiot...
I agree, I would not judge Iranians by the nutcase leaders they have. Also it is all relative to the situation; for example if not Putin, then who? People forget that the second largest political party in Russia is the communist party and the third largest party is even worse. Too many people try to apply their own current country situation to other countries, then act all shocked and accusative when the country acts differently than their own country does.

Old 06-20-2014, 12:58 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,801,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atai J. View Post
Well, it's truthful face of european culture, isn't it? Why cultural european behave like barbarian azian while barbarian azian didn't try to insult his opponent? Or it's just because of lack of arguments and last argument is offensive language?

And yes, we all in Kyrgyzia love Russia and hate NATO.

Ukraine always was historically and mentally part of Russia and russian people. People of Donbass felt comfortable in Ukraine till then nationalists overthrew Yanukovish and started to kill prorussian citizens of Ukraine. Then they took guns in their hands.

Anyway, you can trust everything you want if you like it.
The problem with you is that you see only black and white. Ukraine isn't about NATO or anti-Russia. The Cold War is over, just deal with it and find new enemies, like Tajikistan or the Moon.

Ukraine is Ukraine and not Russia. Russia does not "own" their neighbors because of some historical reasons. And it was the separatists who started the whole thing, or do you seriously believe that Turchynov just randomly started shelling Donbass?

Old 06-20-2014, 01:11 PM

4,491 posts, read 6,343,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
The problem with you is that you see only black and white. Ukraine isn't about NATO or anti-Russia. The Cold War is over, just deal with it and find new enemies, like Tajikistan or the Moon.

Ukraine is Ukraine and not Russia. Russia does not "own" their neighbors because of some historical reasons. And it was the separatists who started the whole thing, or do you seriously believe that Turchynov just randomly started shelling Donbass?
Fascist junta!

Old 06-20-2014, 01:21 PM

847 posts, read 1,179,764 times
Quote:

Thanks, viribusunitis. Yes, perhaps those are the drawbacks of being the successor. In fact, some problems were made by the government and the policy of non-discussing some problems. For example, the Famine of 1932-1933 wasn't really discussed before late 80's . And then it were Ukrainians, who started to discuss it more actively, making it a part of their national narrative. Our historians contributed to it later.

Quote:
Ariete
The Cold War is over,
I hope, Ariete. But when one country, started a controversial war in 2003 against the will of the partners and when recently the world found that it spies for the partners...

If someone acts like this with the partners, what should a former enemy think? Can we trust?

I can say that my emotional reaction to European politicians in Kiev, supporting the protesters was one and my emotional reaction to American politicians doing the same was a little bit different. Neutral in the first case and more negative in the second one. Perhaps, that's also prejudices.

Last edited by Muscovite; 06-20-2014 at 01:47 PM..

Old 06-20-2014, 02:52 PM

5,781 posts, read 11,871,739 times
Some interesting opinion from the Russian side :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=w1hohC6kc1A

Old 06-20-2014, 03:14 PM

847 posts, read 1,179,764 times
The new president is a reasonable man. He ordered a ceasefire. Let's see that the others will do.

Old 06-20-2014, 05:38 PM

5,452 posts, read 11,249,539 times
First of all i would like to wish all scandinavian mother****ers good times who are celebrating the height of midsummer right now.

let go back in time

. ive heard many russian ppl say that they liberated Auswitch and to some extent its true , but then agaih its pretty eeay to liberated a camp where ss soldiers have left. ss took remaining convicts back before the russians put their foot back in. it was in February 1945 when ss put on death march "undesirables back to germany arbeitslager like dachau, buffenwalf and sashenhausen. at this camps most convicts died of tyfus and hunger. no gassing operations at these camps.

Last edited by Northwindsforever; 06-20-2014 at 05:52 PM..

Old 06-20-2014, 05:51 PM

26,783 posts, read 22,537,314 times
Quote:
The new president is a reasonable man. He ordered a ceasefire. Let's see that the others will do.
Right.
Except for this is what I am reading on rebel's site;

"The pseudopresident came up with yet another informational trick, announcing the ceasefire for a week.
Judging by the shelling of Artyom street that started at 00.00, "either Poroshenko don't give a damn about the rest of the world or the Ukrainian artillery can't care less about both Poroshenko AND the world" ( according to the special correspondent of "Komsomolskaya Pravda.")

There are also reports of the continuous local fighting in the area of Sverdlovsk.
A reminder; Friday Pyotr Poroshenko announced that he was putting a stop to a special operation in the South-Eastern regions for a week, up until June 27th. Usually after such informational maneuvering, Novorossya has been subjected to yet another wave of violent attacks and crimes..."

??????????? ???? ?? ?????????: ?????????? ?????? ???????? | ??????? ?????

Something is telling me it's not going to be a long- lasting event...

Old 06-20-2014, 05:59 PM

5,452 posts, read 11,249,539 times
Quote:
He's a jew.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe