Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2015, 02:27 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,873,729 times

Advertisements

Unfortunately, I think he was killed by internal actors, not Kiev. From what I have read so far, it looks like his route was known way ahead of time, so this was not some random encounter with a Kiev recon group or something, this was planned out and I do not think Kiev could in no way have the intel and ability to conduct something like this.

Well, if that is true the situation in Novorussia is still worse than I thought and Igor Strelkow has every reason to be worried.
What blows my mind is, why Putin -the so called iron man- didn't annex the DPR and DLR oblasts in the Wake of the Crimea annexation -sure, there would have been an outcry and an economical embargo, but not worse than what has been put in place anyway, and it would have spared the East Ukrainian population -we are talking of about 4 million people here!- countless suffering; my "2 cents", for what it's worth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2015, 09:23 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
Well, if that is true the situation in Novorussia is still worse than I thought and Igor Strelkow has every reason to be worried.
The situation is pretty bad, it is not because of the fighting, but the lack of the rule of law. It is kind of like a free for all, the only thing preventing it from being a disaster is the fact the majority of people there are civilized, so they go their civilized ways with or without fear of consequence from the gov.

Quote:
What blows my mind is, why Putin -the so called iron man- didn't annex the DPR and DLR oblasts in the Wake of the Crimea annexation -sure, there would have been an outcry and an economical embargo, but not worse than what has been put in place anyway, and it would have spared the East Ukrainian population -we are talking of about 4 million people here!- countless suffering; my "2 cents", for what it's worth.
As been discussed, I think Putin was surprised by this. His advisers went over there initially just to see who these people are rebelling, after all, it is on their border. Mozgovoy, like many people there, are not necessarily pro-Russian, he is the one who thought the least of the oligarchs in Ukraine and Russia "put them against the wall" as it has been stated he said.

I think Russia may have been trying to sway/control the revolt after the fact, but I do not believe for one second that Russia had anything to do with the initial revolt; these people have really never wanted to be part of Ukraine, anyone ever traveling through or residing for a length of time in the area would know this, it has been like this since 1991.

I do not think Putin wants anything to do with Novorossiya, except maybe show influence it. While everyone wants to blame Russia for cease fire violations, it shows Russia really has no control over the area. The "pro-Russia" comes from that Russia is the only people who feasibly will offer support, and most culturally/historically aligned.

Crimea is a whole other issue all together, the West even understood this one, which is why there was a lack of real response by the West. Given the majority of Ukraine's military in Crimea went over to Russia's side, I think this shows that really the majority in Crimea wanted no part of Ukraine. Crimea was once a semi-autonomous area in which Kiev abolished, so this has not sat well for a long time with the people in Crimea.

Old 05-25-2015, 09:59 AM

26,787 posts, read 22,549,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
Well I meant there are a lot of capable Russians Erasure. I don't believe that applies to any politician anywhere. Yeah. I agree he may be a victim of a power struggle.

Sad but that's the way it is.
I know what you meant and I agree with you, but I was talking about a bit different thing - that Mozgovoy with his independent left-winger stand was quite distinctive. And that's the reason he has been eliminated.

Old 05-25-2015, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Unfortunately, I think he was killed by internal actors, not Kiev. From what I have read so far, it looks like his route was known way ahead of time, so this was not some random encounter with a Kiev recon group or something, this was planned out and I do not think Kiev could in no way have the intel and ability to conduct something like this.
He was eliminated by internal actors I believe ( a lot of things point at it.)
Couple of months ago another commander has been eliminated with few of his men in LNR under very similar circumstances ( in his car as well.) Plotnitsky ( I think) took responsibility, accusing Bednov of insubordination and even "running his own prisons." In spite of some protests, this story didn't create too much wave, because "Batman" (Bednov) was not as well-known to outsiders as Mozgovoy, so people couldn't tell for sure how much of truth was in this story. Mozgovoy however was very public figure, well-known for his outspokenness, the military success of his "Prizrak" and the stand that he took against oligarchy.
Couple of days before his death, he posted an appeal on his FB wall, basically saying that the military parade in Alchevsk was going to be cancelled, in order to "save some lives." He was not talking about his own life in that case, but there were threats issued to him and he knew it. That parade went ahead with big success, but Mozgovoy has been eliminated afterwards.
I am reading his poem now "It's not too bad to die in May..."
He was a good poet and musician, not only gifted military commander; I referred to him "el commandante" before, jokingly, looking at that parade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKwBuCTn0z4

That's him singing in Ukrainian ( he was an ethnic Ukrainian after all, although preferring to consider himself a Russian)
He affected the lives of a lot of people around him, he was very much liked by the locals (from what I read) and his death ( unlike the death of "Batman") will not pass unnoticed I think.

Quote:
Well, Kiev thinks Russia is helping a lot, to the tune of thousands of troops and thousands of pieces of equipment, so someone is incorrect.
No, that's a Ukrainian myth, which many Russians wish were true.

Quote:
This goes back to what I have stated before, that Russia does not want anything to do with it and never had anything to do with it really. I think the whole Novorossiya bit caught Russia off-guard, or there are elements within the Russian government that had a hand in it, but not under the authorization of Putin and company, sort of like how many intel type agencies have gotten out of control in specific areas at some point in time. Of course if Putin admitted this than this would be admitting lack of control, but Russia really never admits even the simplest of things. All speculation on my part.
No, Kremlin was well-aware of the situation in the South-East of Ukraine I believe, ( Donetsk in particular,) but it didn't have a united stand on it, a clear path how to go about it, a definite plan. That's why Putin's public announcements regarding the situation initially were different comparably to his further actions ( "We will protect.." "We will not allow..." and so forth.) Russians still remember it very well, particularly after they saw the first dead civilians in Eastern Ukraine.

Last edited by erasure; 05-25-2015 at 10:58 AM..

Old 05-25-2015, 10:54 AM

Quote:

Because Crimea was vital for military/geopolitical purposes of Russia, Donbass was not.
Not only that, Donbass was costly in economic terms of intergration ( from Kremlin Inc point of view.) Not that Crimea was not costly, but it was worth it comparably to Donbass, because of mentioned above military/geopolitical reasons.
Now the way Putin's propaganda works now I've noticed, is that it underlines "his victory" in Crimea, yet pointing at similar acquisition of Donbass as "unreasonable push," because of "people there were not as much unanimously up in arms as Crimeans," ( which is partially true,) "because it's a part of Ukraine," and "because we are risking the WWIII because of it." (And as some Russians put it bluntly with irony "because "European partners" ( read corporations) dictate Kremlin their own terms, if "new Russians" still want to keep their accounts in Western banks.")
That kind of stuff. A lot of Russians are buying it ( particularly the "WWIII" thing,) however a lot of them are not buying it at all for the same reasons you think of.
And that in turn opens the whole new can of worms for Russia and the world.

Old 05-26-2015, 12:07 AM

750 posts, read 907,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
No, that's a Ukrainian myth
Da-da, Donetsk drunks and addicts have handed over empty bottles and neighboring iron gates on buying metal and bought from the Russian Ministry of Defence drone over 6 million. dollars

http://storage1.censor.net.ua/images...03/640x427.jpg

http://youtu.be/xIk5vaF7b30

3 days ago Dnipro-1 battalion soldiers shot down a Russian newest drone "Forpost" (assembled from Israeli components on UWCA
). Such drones armed with Russia 11 ones, left 10 of them...

Last edited by Rozenn; 05-26-2015 at 01:49 PM.. Reason: Copyright

Old 05-27-2015, 06:48 PM

238 posts, read 198,480 times
Mother of died after yesterday shelling in Gorlovka man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcWf0jOutoY

Old 05-27-2015, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadym View Post
Da-da, Donetsk drunks and addicts have handed over empty bottles and neighboring iron gates on buying metal and bought from the Russian Ministry of Defence drone over 6 million. dollars

http://storage1.censor.net.ua/images...03/640x427.jpg

http://youtu.be/xIk5vaF7b30

3 days ago Dnipro-1 battalion soldiers shot down a Russian newest drone "Forpost" (assembled from Israeli components on UWCA
). Such drones armed with Russia 11 ones, left 10 of them...
Sure-sure, it's all the "drunks and addicts" that live in Donbass, incapable of bearing arms ( too drunk you know,) so it's all Putin's army creating a havoc for brave Ukrainian soldiers. ( Or so the popular Kiev legend has it.)
Not that I am trying to change an opinion of such Ukrainian zobmi like you Wadim, but here is something for you straight from Putin's mouth. To make the long story short, what he makes here clear, is that Ukraine is his sphere of economic interests, and if "European partners" decide to take it away, it ain't going to be good.
That's why he is sending only so much of his men/equipment to participate in the conflict, that it would let it simmer as long as it's necessary for achievement of his goals. The desirable results are negotiable and can be adjusted at the round table with "European partners" with Mr. Poroshenko sitting on the extra-chair.
Putin doesn't want Donbass ( unlike Crimea.) If he would have REALLY wanted it, his troops would have been there for real, and Donbass would have been all his long time ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCvXiAybHAo

Old 05-27-2015, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selena822 View Post
Mother of died after yesterday shelling in Gorlovka man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcWf0jOutoY

That her son has been killed during this shelling is half of a problem; her granddaughter (11) has been blown apart, her 2 years old grandson is in hospital with wounds and her daughter in law ( who just gave birth to a baby girl two weeks ago) has lost her arm. I am not even sure where the baby is.
But it's Graham Phillips interviewing her.
Heart-breaking.

Old 05-28-2015, 07:04 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,873,729 times
Somebody knows what is the actual size of the liberated territories of DPR and LPR right now ? and their total population today ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe