Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2015, 10:47 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,898,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPolo View Post
In regard to Ukraine, I don't see what Putin could have done differently.

How do you know that Poroshenko did not order Nemtsev's Death ?
How about Putin and his minions staying home where they belong, instead of invading and doing their best to destroy a peaceful sovereign country, contrary to all treaties, agreements, and generally civilized behavior?

How do YOU know that Putin did not order Nemtsev's death? Just look at the record of what happened to many of his past opponents. This terrible event is very much in line with previous Russian political assassinations and is certainly not out of character for your hero Putin.

KGB background will out.

By the way, how's the weather outside that not-so-mysterious building full of computers in St Petersburg? Say hello to your fellow workers in the (T) factory...hope they're paying you well, with the ruble tanking more and more each day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2015, 10:47 AM

26,787 posts, read 22,549,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPolo View Post
The chess player in me thinks that Nemtsev is worth more as a martyr. Killing of Nemtsev seems more like a move against Putin, then a move by Putin.
I am familiar enough with Nemtsov (and what he was all about, together with "Parnas.") Not because I was interested in him in particular, but because I was watching "Yabloko" people and Yavlinsky, and RPR-Parnas was their competitor. Out of all potential" leaders of opposition" Alexey Navalny was probably the most successful one, even because he was from younger generation and had no ties to the nineties, unlike Nemtsov. No matter what Nemtsov did, no matter how much he "exposed Putin's corruption" - in the eyes of Russians, anyone having ties to the government of the nineties was part of that corruption himself. So Nemtsov didn't have a chance as political figure and Putin didn't have any interest in ordering his killing.
It's another thing that in today's political atmosphere in Russia, plenty of people would like to pull the trigger in the light of Ukrainian events, thinking that this way they do their part in preventing any slight possibility of "Maidan."

Old 03-01-2015, 10:54 AM

5,940 posts, read 3,571,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Yes, because the current regime is doing so well. Checked out the Russian economy lately? How about the secret burials of the thousands of conscripts killed in Ukraine? All due to Putin's megalomania.

I agree with the rest of your post, other than the bolded statement. The mistakes which were and continue to be made begin with the election of Putin to the office of highest power, and the lack of checks and balances, lethal threats to any significant opposition, lack of openness, non-partisanship and honesty in the Russian media, lack of transparency in general, and of course, the illegal invasion and attempted destruction and annexation of Ukraine, a sovereign country, by Russia. All of which have contributed to the current economic crisis and increasing isolation of Russia.

If the Russian people knew the whole truth, there is no way they would continue to support Putin and his policies. It is very encouraging to see an estimated 70,000 Russian people marching in Moscow today, to honor the memory of the assassinated Boris Nemtsov, and to know that similar gatherings are taking place in St Petersburg, Kyiv, London, and elsewhere around the world.

Slava Ukraine. Slava Nemtsov.
Sounds like Propaganda to me. If what your claiming is so true, then one has to wonder why Russia did not get involved with arms until "Armed" Thugs took over the Government by force. One also has to wonder why the Ukrainians on the Russian Border, let all those Russians in and welcomed them with open arms. They asked Russia for help, not like what your trying to sell, as Russia coming in guns blazing killing all in their way. Even the Army and Navy that was there joined the Russian backed people.

If you want to talks about "Illegal" why not talks about the Illegal take over of a elected Government by armed Terrorists. That's illegal by any standard. Where are your "checks and balances" there?

The truth is, the self installed Government is getting its butt kicked because they don't have the full support of the people, and thousands have joined the people who do not accept and Armed tajeover of their Government.

Putin did exactly what any Intelligent Leader would have done in the same situation. There is no way any Russian Leader with any brains would have given up Crimea to a self installed Government hostile to Russia. We would have done exactly the same, and do it all the time in other Countries where we have a Dog in the Race.

Old 03-01-2015, 10:55 AM

2,761 posts, read 3,427,433 times
Quote:
How about Putin and his minions staying home where they belong, instead of invading and doing their best to destroy a peaceful sovereign country, contrary to all treaties, agreements, and generally civilized behavior?

How do YOU know that Putin did not order Nemtsev's death? Just look at the record of what happened to many of his past opponents. This terrible event is very much in line with previous Russian political assassinations and is certainly not out of character for your hero Putin.

KGB background will out.

By the way, how's the weather outside that not-so-mysterious building full of computers in St Petersburg? Say hello to your fellow workers in the (T) factory...hope they're paying you well, with the ruble tanking more and more each day.
ok, so if he does not agree with you, you accuse him of being a paid Russian propagandist. We have seen this before. The mind is so brainwashed that it comes up with per-conditioned responses.

Putin protected Russian interests in Ukraine. US has done similarly on many occasions. I can not acuse Putin of something when my own country does the same.

The reality of the situation is that the problems in Ukraine are your own doing. Neither US nor Russia are to blame. It's your salo.

Old 03-01-2015, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
I am familiar enough with Nemtsov (and what he was all about, together with "Parnas.") Not because I was interested in him in particular, but because I was watching "Yabloko" people and Yavlinsky, and RPR-Parnas was their competitor. Out of all potential" leaders of opposition" Alexey Navalny was probably the most successful one, even because he was from younger generation and had no ties to the nineties, unlike Nemtsov. No matter what Nemtsov did, no matter how much he "exposed Putin's corruption" - in the eyes of Russians, anyone having ties to the government of the nineties was part of that corruption himself. So Nemtsov didn't have a chance as political figure and Putin didn't have any interest in ordering his killing.
It's another thing that in today's political atmosphere in Russia, plenty of people would like to pull the trigger in the light of Ukrainian events, thinking that this way they do their part in preventing any slight possibility of "Maidan."
If you say so.

Old 03-01-2015, 11:05 AM

5,940 posts, read 3,571,697 times
Quote:
How about we stay home and let other Countries decide their own fate.

Where is this "peaceful sovereign country," Your talking about?? Are you talking about the Country where armed thugs started riots, killed citizens opposed to their armed take over of a legitimate elected Government? Is that the Country?

Isn't an "Armed Takeover" of an elected Government contrary to all treaties, agreements, and generally civilized behavior?

Your a trip...

Old 03-01-2015, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Yes, because the current regime is doing so well. Checked out the Russian economy lately? How about the secret burials of the thousands of conscripts killed in Ukraine? All due to Putin's megalomania.

I agree with the rest of your post, other than the bolded statement. The mistakes which were and continue to be made begin with the election of Putin to the office of highest power, and the lack of checks and balances, lethal threats to any significant opposition, lack of openness, non-partisanship and honesty in the Russian media, lack of transparency in general, and of course, the illegal invasion and attempted destruction and annexation of Ukraine, a sovereign country, by Russia. All of which have contributed to the current economic crisis and increasing isolation of Russia.

If the Russian people knew the whole truth, there is no way they would continue to support Putin and his policies. It is very encouraging to see an estimated 70,000 Russian people marching in Moscow today, to honor the memory of the assassinated Boris Nemtsov, and to know that similar gatherings are taking place in St Petersburg, Kyiv, London, and elsewhere around the world.

Slava Ukraine. Slava Nemtsov.
And what is the "whole truth?"
Are you holding a patent to it?

Old 03-01-2015, 11:15 AM

9,511 posts, read 5,442,089 times
The whole question of changing the government of the RF to me would be would the next group of leaders really have the interests of Russia and Russian people at heart. What is happening in Ukraine at the moment is predictable, the country is being looted as the people root through garbage cans for food.

Unacceptable.

Old 03-01-2015, 11:18 AM

How can I run for president of Ukraine ? I have an American mentality to business so I will do my best to secure a future for Ukraine!

But I don't know anything about running a country though and I am bad at playing politics, I hate playing politics.

Old 03-01-2015, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
The whole question of changing the government of the RF to me would be would the next group of leaders really have the interests of Russia and Russian people at heart. What is happening in Ukraine at the moment is predictable, the country is being looted as the people root through garbage cans for food.

Unacceptable.
And what do you think are interests of Russian people?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe