Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2017, 04:04 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,808,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
We aren't discussing Russia. We're discussion the bastion of freedom called Ukraine and it's valiant struggle against Mordor.

Try harder. You look foolish. Especially when you can't sddress the subject.
I don't speak Slav, so I can't understand anything from your links.

My point was that Ukraine's press freedom wasn't that good even to begin with. The only European countries doing worse are Russia and Belarus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2017, 06:56 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,496,448 times
Quote:
I can't believe you are missing the big point in this. Ukraine is devided. Right now one group want to go to the west, the other to Russia. Ukraine does not belong to the people of Ukraine, it belongs to who ever can best manage the chaos of a devided nation. The real solution is to simply divide the country down the Dneipr river. East and West Ukraine.
The problem with that logic is that you are dividing a country on political ideology. What about Eastern Ukrainians who share Western ideology and vice-versa? Do they need to migrate?

Quote:
We aren't discussing Russia. We're discussion the bastion of freedom called Ukraine and it's valiant struggle against Mordor.

Try harder. You look foolish. Especially when you can't sddress the subject.
Why compare Russia to Mordor? Mordor represents the ultimate bastion of evil in the LOTR, one whose influence is purely negative. Nothing good comes out of Mordor as the conflict present in those stories is entirely black and white. Real life is far more complicated.

I may criticize Russia on a lot of fronts, but even I would never label the country as pure evil.

Old 09-24-2017, 09:36 PM

26,787 posts, read 22,549,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post

"Police are warning participants that the rally has not been agreed with authorities, therefore participation in the event can lead to administrative penalties, fines up to RUB 20,000. At the moment, no one has been detained."

Read more on UNIAN: https://www.unian.info/world/2151896...h-ukraine.html

Amazing how much Putin and Co don't care about the right wing opposition, and how much they are afraid of the left.
Or may be not.

This is the detention of S. Udaltsov, who was released from jail literally few weeks ago..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1C56O6p7PQ

Old 09-24-2017, 10:04 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,928,100 times
Quote:
I can't believe you are missing the big point in this. Ukraine is devided. Right now one group want to go to the west, the other to Russia. Ukraine does not belong to the people of Ukraine, it belongs to who ever can best manage the chaos of a devided nation. The real solution is to simply divide the country down the Dneipr river. East and West Ukraine.
I'm aware, of what you are talking about, but just because a nation is politically divided, doesn't mean it needs to be split apart, other wise the US should be split between urban democratic states and rural/suburban red states. Also it's not a good idea because of psychological phenomena called group polarization. When a group of like minded people who individually have moderate views get together they end up having very extreme views. The only way to stop this is to have people in the group who have different, if not opposite views. If eastern Ukraine leaves, then the western part will have an even more extreme ideology. And like wise with eastern Ukraine too. Ukraine should just have a nation wide referendum and people either vote to join EU or Eurasian Union. And again Ukraine can still do business with Russia even if it joins the EU , Russia trades more with the EU and China than it does with Ukraine.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ners_of_Russia

and although Russia used to be Ukraine's biggest trading partner, now the EU has replaced Russia.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_Ukraine#Trade

Old 09-24-2017, 11:12 PM

26,787 posts, read 22,549,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
I'm aware, of what you are talking about, but just because a nation is politically divided, doesn't mean it needs to be split apart, other wise the US should be split between urban democratic states and rural/suburban red states. Also it's not a good idea because of psychological phenomena called group polarization. When a group of like minded people who individually have moderate views get together they end up having very extreme views. The only way to stop this is to have people in the group who have different, if not opposite views. If eastern Ukraine leaves, then the western part will have an even more extreme ideology. And like wise with eastern Ukraine too. Ukraine should just have a nation wide referendum and people either vote to join EU or Eurasian Union. And again Ukraine can still do business with Russia even if it joins the EU , Russia trades more with the EU and China than it does with Ukraine.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ners_of_Russia

and although Russia used to be Ukraine's biggest trading partner, now the EU has replaced Russia.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_Ukraine#Trade
As the Russian proverb goes - "Too late to drink Borjomi when your kidneys already failed."
They COULD of have had that "nation wide referendum" BEFORE the coup staged by the Western part of the country.

Old 09-25-2017, 01:48 AM

5,699 posts, read 4,928,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
As the Russian proverb goes - "Too late to drink Borjomi when your kidneys already failed."
They COULD of have had that "nation wide referendum" BEFORE the coup staged by the Western part of the country.
Well either way Ukraine's opinion of the Eurasian Union has decreased substantially since 2014.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eurasi...pinion_polling

2012 57%
2013 50%
2014 31%

Old 09-25-2017, 02:32 AM

400 posts, read 292,773 times
Quote:
"Police are warning participants that the rally has not been agreed with authorities, therefore participation in the event can lead to administrative penalties, fines up to RUB 20,000. At the moment, no one has been detained."

Read more on UNIAN: https://www.unian.info/world/2151896...h-ukraine.html

Amazing how much Putin and Co don't care about the right wing opposition, and how much they are afraid of the left.
Or may be not.

This is the detention of S. Udaltsov, who was released from jail literally few weeks ago..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1C56O6p7PQ
This is not about Ukraine, but do you think Russia is a democratic country? I mean according to my theory, Turkey is not democratic enough because the population is not educated enough. However Russian population is I think more educated than Turkey. But Russia doesn't seem democratic like other countries with similar education levels. Why?

Old 09-25-2017, 07:48 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,808,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selen View Post
This is not about Ukraine, but do you think Russia is a democratic country? I mean according to my theory, Turkey is not democratic enough because the population is not educated enough. However Russian population is I think more educated than Turkey. But Russia doesn't seem democratic like other countries with similar education levels. Why?
Easy. Russia has no democratic tradition. It was an absolute monarchy until 1905, had serfdom until 1861, and from 1918 to 1991 it was a totalitarian dictatorship. When the USSR collapsed, the country went into chaos. And many Russian thought that democracy is like that (which it of course isn't), but decided that they want that.

You're probably better at Turkish history than I am, but at least the Kemalists embraced republicanism wholeheartedly when in Russia in the 90's the only aim was to make as much money as possible and not give a sh*t about democratic institutions.

But I think that with the rise of social media the groundroots democratic movement will get stronger year after year.

Old 09-25-2017, 08:29 AM

5,786 posts, read 4,234,324 times
Quote:
Or may be not.

This is the detention of S. Udaltsov, who was released from jail literally few weeks ago.
The left or the nazbols are stronger guys than hamsters with Ukrainian flags.

Old 09-25-2017, 08:30 AM

400 posts, read 292,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Easy. Russia has no democratic tradition. It was an absolute monarchy until 1905, had serfdom until 1861, and from 1918 to 1991 it was a totalitarian dictatorship. When the USSR collapsed, the country went into chaos. And many Russian thought that democracy is like that (which it of course isn't), but decided that they want that.

You're probably better at Turkish history than I am, but at least the Kemalists embraced republicanism wholeheartedly when in Russia in the 90's the only aim was to make as much money as possible and not give a sh*t about democratic institutions.

But I think that with the rise of social media the groundroots democratic movement will get stronger year after year.
Yes may be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe