Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2022, 03:59 PM

2,367 posts, read 908,782 times

Advertisements

Here is my idea: Ukraine should condemn all the far right extremist militias. Bring key people of the nazi groups to stand trial. In addition, what has been happening in Donbass these past years should be acknowledged in the United Nations. Then we have a chance for peace talks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2022, 05:27 PM

12,406 posts, read 9,510,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgerider View Post
Good morning from USA. I have been reading this thread in the hopes of gaining a better understanding of others' perspectives as to what is going on in Russia & Ukraine. I am not too far in this thread yet - maybe a quarter thru, & hope that I will see answers to why it's happening; if the burden of blame is shared by both countries; and why or why not the USA should be involved.

I am not ashamed to admit that I really don't get any of it. Does it really come down to Russia amassing a wealth of land at any cost? If the USA was more dependent on itself for oil & gas, would the sanctions even be in place? I read often & hear on various programs that USA should stay out of it and let Ukraine defend itself. Which means I need to read up on NATO, because I thought we were part of an allied understanding and have a global obligation to help if we can.

I see the images on the news of bloodied children and destroyed buildings - whatever the future of Ukraine may be, it is heartwarming to see countrymen stepping up to volunteer to save it. But will it be enough?
Ukraine is not a NATO nation, so we are not obligated by Article 5 to defend them militarily. Russia has victimized Ukraine for centuries. One of the most horrific chapters was the Holodomor - killing nearly 3.9 million Ukrainians:
https://www.history.com/news/ukrainian-famine-stalin

Old 02-25-2022, 06:00 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,026,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Ukraine is not a NATO nation, so we are not obligated by Article 5 to defend them militarily. Russia has victimized Ukraine for centuries. One of the most horrific chapters was the Holodomor - killing nearly 3.9 million Ukrainians:
https://www.history.com/news/ukrainian-famine-stalin
Actually both Russia and Ukraine did suffer due to Stalin purges. So the Russians and Ukrainians were also victims of this. The USSR was no just Russia but a federation of Soviet Republics, supporting an communist dictatorship.

The true victims of this conflict as the Ukrainians and the dead, injured and imprisoned Russian solders in this conflict. As the number of Russian troops get killed and the longer the conflict drags on the more the Russians will be displeased by Putin.

Old 02-25-2022, 06:51 PM

26,783 posts, read 22,537,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPibbs View Post
Here is my idea: Ukraine should condemn all the far right extremist militias. Bring key people of the nazi groups to stand trial. In addition, what has been happening in Donbass these past years should be acknowledged in the United Nations. Then we have a chance for peace talks.

All this sounds nice and dandy, but this is what I hear on Russian News now ( the sequence of events)

So today (25th of February) Zelensky addressed Putin and said "the war is going all over Ukraine, let's sit down at the negotiation table, to save people's lives."
Putin's press secretary Peskov said that P. is ready to send delegation to Minsk.
Then Peskov said that Ukraine refused to participate in negotiations in Minsk, then they took pause and suggested Warsaw instead. After that Ukrainian government took pause again and then quit communicating.

During this pause ( according to Peskov) Ukrainian forces moved the rocket launchers in-between the civilian buildings in Kiev.

Putin underlined that this move was advised by American consultants, and referred to these activities as typical for the terrorists all over the world.

( Just reporting what I hear here.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21ORXz4nsU4

Old 02-25-2022, 06:53 PM

750 posts, read 907,435 times
From the beginning of the open large-scale invasion of the Russian Federation into the territory of Ukraine, the troops of the invading country suffered the following losses (approximately): up to 80 tanks, 516 armored combat vehicles of various types, 10 aircraft, 7 helicopters, 2,800 personnel
Attached Thumbnails
The future of Ukraine-20220226_035730.jpg  

Old 02-25-2022, 07:39 PM

1,361 posts, read 2,272,434 times
I cannot even imagine how President Zelenskyy feels, being Jewish with immediate family that died in the Holocaust, almost laughingly (were it not so disgusting) being accused of supporting Nazis-neo or otherwise…Not a good narrative for those twisting facts here on CD and Putin. Despite comments to the contrary, Zelenskyy is in the Ukraine tonight, sadly I doubt he will survive and from what I’ve heard he does as well. Heartbreaking…

Old 02-25-2022, 08:07 PM

1,510 posts, read 1,006,316 times
I hope the Ukrainian people kill those Russian soldiers and teach them a lesson. We have trolls (mostly Russian ones) talking about Nazis, yet they conveniently ignored the fact that Stalin and Hitler were once allies.

Russia suffers from an inferiority complex, hence why the constant threat of nuclear war. The US govt and Western countries should not back down because we know that fool in Moscow isn't that irrational to risk a nuclear war. I hate what the Ukrainian people are going through but this has finally awakened the West. We might have to endure some pain in the near and medium-term, but we need to decouple from both Russia and China.

I want to see how much leverage Russia will have when China becomes the main buyer of its natural resources.

Old 02-25-2022, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcat4 View Post
I cannot even imagine how President Zelenskyy feels, being Jewish with immediate family that died in the Holocaust, almost laughingly (were it not so disgusting) being accused of supporting Nazis-neo or otherwise…Not a good narrative for those twisting facts here on CD and Putin. Despite comments to the contrary, Zelenskyy is in the Ukraine tonight, sadly I doubt he will survive and from what I’ve heard he does as well. Heartbreaking…

It's only "not a good narrative" for those who are unfamiliar with the subject.
For those of us who watched closely everything that took place in Ukraine from 2014, it's not a mystery at all.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/62937472-post250.html

Old 02-25-2022, 08:50 PM

2,367 posts, read 908,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcat4 View Post
Zelensky being Jewish has nothing to do with this. Hitler himself is likely Jewish from DNA analysis. And nazism is not just defined by anti-Jew. It is also anti-Russian among other things. In any case, poor Zelensky, I really don't think he is any nazi. But he can be accused of failing to control the nazis. I think he's just a TV actor who has never been in control what's going on around him. He's following the directors' instructions, which is what actors do. In that sense it matters little whether he is Jewish.

Old 02-25-2022, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullandre View Post
I hope the Ukrainian people kill those Russian soldiers and teach them a lesson. We have trolls (mostly Russian ones) talking about Nazis, yet they conveniently ignored the fact that Stalin and Hitler were once allies.

Russia suffers from an inferiority complex, hence why the constant threat of nuclear war. The US govt and Western countries should not back down because we know that fool in Moscow isn't that irrational to risk a nuclear war. I hate what the Ukrainian people are going through but this has finally awakened the West. We might have to endure some pain in the near and medium-term, but we need to decouple from both Russia and China.

I want to see how much leverage Russia will have when China becomes the main buyer of its natural resources.

They can't.

As it is, they are signing papers obligating them to not to fight against Russia and then they are free to go home.

No more "killing" as you would like to see.

"For you, guys, the war is over.

You are alive and well thank lord, sign the paper and go home."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88QmCZEEXv4
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe