Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2022, 05:50 AM

61,685 posts, read 87,077,794 times

Advertisements

Welcome! Just please pay attention to members status - "Not a member" usually means a troll or a spammer. Their opinion isn't worth to be considered...
There is another thread worth your attention to get a bigger picture:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/euro...questions.html
(Sorry, both are too huge for cleanup.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2022, 07:32 AM

6,791 posts, read 4,236,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgerider View Post
Good morning from USA. I have been reading this thread in the hopes of gaining a better understanding of others' perspectives as to what is going on in Russia & Ukraine. I am not too far in this thread yet - maybe a quarter thru, & hope that I will see answers to why it's happening; if the burden of blame is shared by both countries; and why or why not the USA should be involved.

I am not ashamed to admit that I really don't get any of it. Does it really come down to Russia amassing a wealth of land at any cost? If the USA was more dependent on itself for oil & gas, would the sanctions even be in place? I read often & hear on various programs that USA should stay out of it and let Ukraine defend itself. Which means I need to read up on NATO, because I thought we were part of an allied understanding and have a global obligation to help if we can.

I see the images on the news of bloodied children and destroyed buildings - whatever the future of Ukraine may be, it is heartwarming to see countrymen stepping up to volunteer to save it. But will it be enough?

The Ukraine isn't part of NATO and therefore there is no U.S. obligation toward them. I think a big reason for why Russia made their move is their desire to keep it that way.

Old 02-25-2022, 07:55 AM

17,614 posts, read 17,656,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
I'm from eastern europe, more or less bordering Ukraine (depends...), but I guess you know about the matter so enlighten me? And how is supporting freedom being "Hitler"...either you're drunk or worse. It makes no different for me if it's Tatarstan, Taiwan or Eastern Ukraine - until someone shows me evidence that the referendums are fake I'm not going to support america/russia blindly like people like you.
Had the opportunity to visit Varna Bulgaria and Odessa Ukraine in 1995. Hate to imagine the progress made being reduced to rubble by advancing Russian troops.

Old 02-25-2022, 08:01 AM

7 posts, read 4,217 times
isn't decades ago kennedy threaten nuclear war if soviet union provide missiles to cuba?

why the west/ nato give false hope to ukrainians if they are not accepting Ukraine as nato member..

and how stupid is zelenski believes other countries will send soldiers to fight russia if there is an invasion, politicians will only benefit from wars, they don't care the average ppl suffer.

Old 02-25-2022, 08:05 AM

5,214 posts, read 4,019,409 times
Quote:

It's easy to blame both parties and clearly some of the Russian soldiers will be guilty for killing civilians, yet since it's a war and there should be a winner - it should be Russia.

Morally so because in the West it is forgotten the grotesque story of how ukrainian soldier was eating literally heart of a russian and mind you this is just the tip of the iceberg - for many years the ukrainian "army" is torturing people who have democratically voted to leave Ukraine, a referendum even verified by the UN and many others, ultimately rejected because western politicians didn't like the reality of America becoming irrelevant in eastern europe (yeah as if covid and loosing to China wasn't enough for america...).

Last news seem optimistic though, godspeed - Ukraine has agreed to remain neutral towards the joke called "nato" and if this is really true and not fake news it will be one of the most successful operations in military history:

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe...al-2022-02-25/

Old 02-25-2022, 08:26 AM

3,454 posts, read 2,779,135 times
Quote:
Good morning from USA. I have been reading this thread in the hopes of gaining a better understanding of others' perspectives as to what is going on in Russia & Ukraine. I am not too far in this thread yet - maybe a quarter thru, & hope that I will see answers to why it's happening; if the burden of blame is shared by both countries; and why or why not the USA should be involved.

I am not ashamed to admit that I really don't get any of it. Does it really come down to Russia amassing a wealth of land at any cost? If the USA was more dependent on itself for oil & gas, would the sanctions even be in place? I read often & hear on various programs that USA should stay out of it and let Ukraine defend itself. Which means I need to read up on NATO, because I thought we were part of an allied understanding and have a global obligation to help if we can.

I see the images on the news of bloodied children and destroyed buildings - whatever the future of Ukraine may be, it is heartwarming to see countrymen stepping up to volunteer to save it. But will it be enough?
Instead of bringing you closer to the truth, reading this thread will leave you more confused. And give you a big headache.

Old 02-25-2022, 09:41 AM

26,783 posts, read 22,537,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
It's part of the Russian false flag narrative. Only Khuylo supporters and fools will fall for that rhetoric.

Putin using false 'Nazi' narrative to justify Russia's attack on Ukraine, experts say

And that's precisely the expletive I was referring to yesterday, when I've said that during his speech on "decommunisation of Ukraine" I saw that Putin was up to something, judging by his face expression.
This is precisely the expletive that the Ukrainian Nazi were always taunting him with..

So...

Kaa; "And they ( the monkeys) called me a worm?"

Bagira; "Yes-yes."
Kaa; "And they called me a big yellow fish?"
Bagira; "Yes-yes, and they called you a frog too."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_XmxT3lsGE&t=17s

And then came THIS; (It happened to be so, that the "Banderlogs" that Kaa is addressing here, is a nick name for the Bandera followers, the Ukrainian Nazi.)

"Come closer, Banderlogs...
Do you see me well?
Do you hear me well?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-s0N5EYtjQ&t=8s

( And of course the link that you posted here from NBC or whatever is usual propaganda drivel.)

Old 02-25-2022, 10:01 AM

3,454 posts, read 2,779,135 times
There’s some absurdity mixed with this tragedy.

Old 02-25-2022, 10:24 AM

10,072 posts, read 14,952,774 times
Just for the record, the Ukranian community in the Dominican Republic made it known they are against this war.

Las Terrenas, Samaná

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HR9eov8Bmf8

Also, the President of the Dominican Republic officially reproaches Putin's invasion and show support for the Ukraine in a declaration asking for the war to end. This is one of the first declarations in support of the Ukraine in Latin America.

https://mobile.twitter.com/luisabina...715393/photo/1

Dominican Republic knows what is like to be invaded and defend the country, because it has been invaded many times during the 19th and 20th centuries.

Support for the Ukraine!!

Last edited by AntonioR; 02-25-2022 at 10:33 AM..

Old 02-25-2022, 03:20 PM

26,783 posts, read 22,537,314 times
First indications of the peace talks between Ukraine and Russia.

Zelensky asked for it, and Russia declined it initially, but then a bit later they've said that they don't exclude such possibility to revive Minsk negotiations, now Minsk-3.

Lukashenko is ready to host it.

Putin is not going there, but ready to send delegation of the high-ranking officials.

His conditions are the demilitarization and denazification of Ukraine.

No more glorification of Bandera ( and the rest of the Nazi collaborators during WWII,) no prohibition of Russian language and change of the external politics of Ukraine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oet8otVe0Gk

Keeping in mind the danger of the situation - i.e. the civilians trapped inside the big cities and the readiness of the Nationalists to use them as a live shield, that's a good development.

Last edited by erasure; 02-25-2022 at 03:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe