Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2021, 12:47 PM

26,783 posts, read 22,537,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Either way, it is alarming when a supposedly intelligent person like Merkel makes such gross mistakes when evaluating situations and people...

What mistakes EXACTLY are you talking about Neuling?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2021, 12:49 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,738,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
What mistakes EXACTLY are you talking about Neuling?
The things you listed that she supposedly only realized too late.

I don't know if it was the case. Frankly, she may hold a PhD, but in my view she is rather stupid in political terms. Like a little, ideologically blinded groupie that always sucked up the US. And of course she sucks at long-term vision, typically German.

Old 08-31-2021, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
The things you listed that she supposedly only realized too late.

I don't know if it was the case. Frankly, she may hold a PhD, but in my view she is rather stupid in political terms. Like a little, ideologically blinded groupie that always sucked up the US. And of course she sucks at long-term vision, typically German.

Initially ( when it comes to the whole situation with Ukraine) - she did, no doubt about it.

She went along with the prescribed by US scenario of breaking Ukraine away from Russia, with this whole arrangement under Obama's administration, as all "liberal" European politicians traditionally follow and support the American "left."

But with time, she realized that if she keeps on following this rout, it will hit Germany economically/financially ( and with it - the whole EU,) and will hit it hard.
( And that's what I was pointing at already for long time. That if Russia would ever crumble for real, (as American "left" envisioned/planned it back in the 90ies,) Germany would be hit and destroyed next.

Not only that, Merkel was receiving more and more news about Ukraine - the Nazi, the corruption, the complaints of Zelensky that "Merkel is not doing enough" for his government.

And in case of Zelensky - it was not just Merkel that was fooled by him. The Ukrainians ( and Russians actually, Kremlin including) were taken by surprise to realize that the man that 75% of people voted for ( in order to dismiss Poroshenko,) decided to double down on Poroshenko's policies, and became the worst reincarnation of Poroshenko actually.

No way Merkel could predict this as well.
So as I've said, with time she re-evaluated situation, and proceeded with the lesser of two evils.

( I.e. Nord Stream 2, and continued ties with Russia.)

Old 08-31-2021, 02:35 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,437,689 times
I don't think for a minute Zelensky is his own man and only the president of Ukraine as a figure, he holds no real power. It's the mafia style group around him that is calling the shots and he was given a choice. Do as you're are told and you can be wealthy and have some power in the end or end up a corpse.

I guess a delegation is is in Washington as we speak or set to arrive soon. They expect billions in support apparently but I sure as heck do not know how it will go. Biden was directly involved in this mess and Americans attitudes towards him currently is not good. One the other hand the MIC needs to make profits and Ukraine is a great money laundering opportunity to replace Afghanistan as a cash cow.

Old 08-31-2021, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
I don't think for a minute Zelensky is his own man and only the president of Ukraine as a figure, he holds no real power. It's the mafia style group around him that is calling the shots and he was given a choice. Do as you're are told and you can be wealthy and have some power in the end or end up a corpse.

I guess a delegation is is in Washington as we speak or set to arrive soon. They expect billions in support apparently but I sure as heck do not know how it will go. Biden was directly involved in this mess and Americans attitudes towards him currently is not good. One the other hand the MIC needs to make profits and Ukraine is a great money laundering opportunity to replace Afghanistan as a cash cow.

Yes he is already in Washington ( both Russian and Ukrainian news are reporting on his visit,) and yes, ironically enough - this is the worst timing to deal/negotiate with Biden ANYTHING for obvious reasons. ( Hence this visit was postponed/rescheduled already three times at least, starting from July.)

Old 09-01-2021, 12:43 PM

1,503 posts, read 607,118 times
Quote:
Yes he is already in Washington ( both Russian and Ukrainian news are reporting on his visit,) and yes, ironically enough - this is the worst timing to deal/negotiate with Biden ANYTHING for obvious reasons. ( Hence this visit was postponed/rescheduled already three times at least, starting from July.)
C-SPAN channel referred to that clown as "president Lewinsky" in the subtitles when reporting this "event"

Well, everybody knew about that role of Ze already, but to admit this officially....

Old 09-01-2021, 03:31 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 6 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,916,376 times
Quote:
What are you talking about - "stable enough," "redeemable" ( whatever it means.)

Things are going nuts there.

Some Belorussian national is found hanged in the park in the center of Kiev, yet another bozo is entering with a hand grenade into their government building. ( Anything and everything is connected to the ATO "veterans" I am sure ( read the nationalist battalions and Avakov's resignation.)

Judging by the escalating rhetorics, Ukraine is at the brink of war with Russia. ( May be that's why Biden wants to "check out" from there now speedy quick, before anything else happens.)

Zelensky can't shut up about how much he loves Crimea with all his "memories from the younger years" ( Russians can't possibly love it as much as he does - yeah..
And if that's not enough, he ( Zelensky that is) made a statement on Ukrainian TV that all those people that live in Donbass and consider it historically part of Russia and Russians culture, should pack their things and leave for Russia.
And this is on a program specifically created ( and targeting) the "reconciliation with Donbass."
And if this is not enough, the Ukrainian forces shelled the DNR today yet again, from the weapons prohibited by the Minsk agreement.

So tell me again how "stable" and "redeemable" Ukraine is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izaIYWuES4Q&t=19s
Well, in relative situation. Compared to 2014, 2015.

Hopefully, original Russia ethnic heritage isn't ever eroding or overriding what might really be there objectively. Of course, subjective emotions does simultaneously matter a lot. Equal amount. And tons of Russians will think of Ukraine very differently. I don't blame them. However, since 2015, not really any overwhelming attacks outside of Crimean peninsula, far East such as in Odessa, Kiev, Lviv. I don't think so. That is the best of Ukraine representation. Tons of foreigners are going to enjoy visits to those three places without any deep regret. If any. And quite vast big Ukrainian major cities.

Let's encourage and stimulate peace stability redeeming tourism for Ukraine to significantly reduce the issues. Same with tourism in Russia. Otherwise, that sounds like too much of a double standard. There is a much higher possibility to calm down the tension.

I want to visit Ukraine within one to two years later, 2021/2022/2023, after Turkey, UAE, Jordan, Russia, Thailand, some other Asian, Middle East, Europe ones. Fun to compare contrast Romania(Technically my own ethnic heritage first) with Ukraine(Some older not really known relatives on my own Mother's side).

I wouldn't be surprised if Odessa is winning over Constanta for Black Sea cities. Kiev actually an even bigger city than Bucharest, and Lviv a secret treasure compared to Brasov, Timisoara, Sibiu, Cluj Napoca. Even if I select Romania before Ukraine. A lot to just enough respectful opinions.

Nice video in the post. Youtube is an excellent source to use.

Old 09-02-2021, 08:52 AM

2,289 posts, read 1,567,115 times
A quick take on the Biden/Zelendky meeting from the Atlantic Council......... No link.

Quote:
Everything you need to know about the first Biden-Zelenskyy meeting

JUST IN: A friend in need is a friend indeed. Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy made his long-awaited first visit to the White House on Wednesday to meet with US President Joe Biden, and both leaders can say they walked away with victories. Zelenskyy—whose country is in its eighth year of war following Russia’s invasion of eastern Ukraine—received a renewed US commitment to help boost Ukrainian security. For Biden, the meeting was a chance to prove the United States is a good partner amid sharp criticism of the way the US withdrew from Afghanistan. What message does the get-together send to Moscow? What further hurdles must these allies overcome? Our expert breakdown is below.

TODAY'S EXPERT RAPID REACTION COURTESY OF:

john-herbst1.png

John E. Herbst (@JohnEdHerbst): Director of the Atlantic Council’s Eurasia Center and former US ambassador to Ukraine

melinda-haring.png

Melinda Haring (@melindaharing): Deputy director of the Eurasia Center

oleh-shamshur.png

Oleh Shamshur (@Shamshur_O): Nonresident senior fellow at the Eurasia Center and former Ukrainian ambassador to the United States

WHAT ZELENSKYY GETS
Much of the Ukrainian political establishment was rattled by Biden’s decision to lift US opposition to the controversial Nord Stream 2 pipeline from Russia to Germany—a move seen in Kyiv and by many in Congress as paving the way for Moscow’s weaponization of energy. And the US pullout from Afghanistan, combined with Russian upcoming military exercises with Belarus, may have Zelenskyy worried that Russian President Vladimir Putin is preparing to escalate his war in Ukraine.

But the visit’s parting gifts could help allay those fears. Ukraine gets an extra $60 million in US security assistance—bringing the total this year to more than $400 million—plus the revival of the Strategic Partnership Commission, a mechanism for US and Ukrainian officials to coordinate on security, trade, and energy challenges that hasn’t met in three years. “The results of this visit are a clear signal to Moscow not to escalate in Ukraine. This is exactly what Zelenskyy wanted,” John says.

Melinda points out that while Ukraine needs the boost in support, it’s not enough: “$60 million is a drop in the bucket,” she says.

And while the leaders’ joint statement mentioned that the US will send additional Javelin missiles, Oleh also wants to see an expansion of the types of weapons provided to Ukraine and “more attention paid to the development of Ukrainian air force, air defense, and naval capabilities.”

Still, Melinda adds, there’s also a benefit to Kyiv that you can’t put a price on: “For Zelenskyy, the fact that the White House is paying attention to something other than Afghanistan and China is a real win.”

WHAT BIDEN GETS
An Oval Office sit-down with the Ukrainian president might not generate wall-to-wall cable news coverage to drown out the latest from Kabul. But it does represent a “foreign-policy win,” in John’s eyes, as Russia and China seize on the Afghanistan withdrawal “to sow doubts about the reliability of the US as a partner and ally.”

For both leaders, Melinda says, it’s also “a chance to clear the air and move beyond the taint and tarnish of the Trump era,” during which the Kyiv-Washington partnership descended into toxic political intrigue.

WHERE THEY FELL SHORT
Despite these wins, certain sticking points in the relationship will remain, including Nord Stream 2 and widespread corruption in Ukraine, which is still struggling to clean up its judicial system.

As a result, expect both leaders to continue pushing one another, Melinda advises: Zelenskyy for a clear US guarantee of NATO membership for his country, and Biden for meaningful domestic reforms that would help Kyiv finally shake off the shackles of endemic graft. “There’s a reason why Ukraine’s [foreign direct investment] is zero,” she says, “and blaming Russian aggression only goes so far.”

Ultimately, Oleh argues, the meeting “produced no breakthroughs.” He points out that “most of the agreements signed refurbish, enhance, or resuscitate previous arrangements.” They’ll require substantial follow-up and work to implement the measures. If that doesn’t happen, he warns, they risk becoming “those wishful documents that migrate from one summit to the other.”

Old 09-02-2021, 08:41 PM

3,454 posts, read 2,779,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
Interesting history behind that word Surzhyk.
Make Surzhyk Great Again!

Old 09-04-2021, 09:10 AM

9,511 posts, read 5,437,689 times
Still playing games in the Donbas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bua-KjdEAzc

ukraine is going to be one of the next money laundering opportunities for the corrupt in the west.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe