Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2022, 09:44 AM

5,214 posts, read 4,021,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turist View Post
Why?

Because...supply and demand. At times of war supply is steep you know...no one cares anymore about get-rich-quick ways like buying tesla stock or bitcoin, everyone wants to know if oil, aluminum, copper etc will be available and sellers know it and...you get it...my point still stands: some people such as weapon manufacturers are making a 'killing' literally and figuratively speaking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2022, 09:47 AM

9,367 posts, read 14,309,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
I don't read American Conservative or Pat Buchanan often but . . . . Bale002, they see it's the same publicity too.

https://www.theamericanconservative....rvatives-2022/

Can you please translate that babble into plain English? Better still, summarize it, in five words or less, please.

On second thought, **** it, it’s not worth it.

I remember back in 1991 (not 2003), when CNN was in its infancy, Bernard Shaw announcing, “Baghdad has been illuminated!” I remember seeing images of US cruise missiles slam into stuff.

I just saw this morning a similar image on YouTube.

Anyway, the predicted start date was only a week late.

Some 15,803 frames later, what is the future of Ukraine now?

Or maybe they will be the uKRAINS with several capitals?

Old 02-24-2022, 11:06 AM

827 posts, read 631,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
Zelensky, Poroshenko it doesn't matter they should've recognized democracy years ago. Like I said, Biden and co wouldn't shut up about "democracy" but why aren't they supporting independence of Donbas the way they supported independence of Kosovo? Give freedom or feel the consequences, plain and simple.

Like russia with tartastan or chechenya?

Old 02-24-2022, 11:28 AM

1,007 posts, read 415,407 times
LONG LIVE FREE UKRAINE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8Hq...l=AlexKarpenko

Old 02-24-2022, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citoyen View Post
Like russia with tartastan or chechenya?

Yes, Russia was wrong there, happy now? I don't care about your country, nor about Russia. All I care is that people in eastern ukraine voted for freedom and nor France neither Russia can tell if this is right or wrong, truth is above any country.

Old 02-24-2022, 11:40 AM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turist View Post
This was undoubtedly sanctioned, and as always, by our Western partners.

It's pretty clear that a lot of it was due to terrible mismanagement. Going away from that and into modern times, it's probably difficult for someone being on the inside to understand just how terribly mismanaged Russia looks. There are large Russian communities and often with those who fled being highly educated that look at Russia and see a particularly bad kleptocracy. No place is going to be perfect, but Russia does seem like it's terribly mismanaged overall. Of course, the most comfortable way to deal with that is to blame everyone else.

Old 02-24-2022, 11:50 AM

7,347 posts, read 4,134,790 times
The equivalent of Ukraine/Tartastan/Chechenya in the USA is the American Civil War.

Quote:
The United States prevented other powers from recognizing the Confederacy, which counted heavily on Britain and France to enter the war on its side to maintain their supply of cotton and to weaken a growing opponent. Every nation was officially neutral throughout the war, and none formally recognized the Confederacy.

The major nations all recognized that the Confederacy had certain rights as an organized belligerent.

British leaders had some sympathy for the Confederacy, but were never willing to risk war with the Union. France was even more sympathetic to the Confederacy, but it was threatened by Prussia and would not make a move without full British cooperation.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diplom...ican_Civil_War

The USA should have stayed out of Ukraine and let Russia/minorities deal with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
No place is going to be perfect, but Russia does seem like it's terribly mismanaged overall. Of course, the most comfortable way to deal with that is to blame everyone else.
The US is a bigger mess with industrial military complex running diplomacy.

Old 02-24-2022, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
The equivalent of Ukraine/Tartastan/Chechenya in the USA is the American Civil War.

The comparison escapes me...from the little I know the American civil war was about human rights in which case I'd rather support the Union given the liberation of black people and so on. With Tatarstand and so it's actually the conservative side who wants to split (the Muslims) yet while being part of Russia they still retain everything, unless Putin can come up with a strange proof that once separated the muslims will be like Saudi Arabia then you can't excuse Russia for not giving them freedom on that occasion.

Old 02-24-2022, 12:21 PM

325 posts, read 368,797 times
We’ll soon be hearing of Swan Lake playing on a continuous loop on Russian TV.

Old 02-24-2022, 12:29 PM

[Mod cut: this post has been deleted]

I'm from eastern europe, more or less bordering Ukraine (depends...), but I guess you know about the matter so enlighten me? And how is supporting freedom being "Hitler"...either you're drunk or worse. It makes no different for me if it's Tatarstan, Taiwan or Eastern Ukraine - until someone shows me evidence that the referendums are fake I'm not going to support america/russia blindly like people like you.

Last edited by elnina; 02-26-2022 at 05:07 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe