Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2022, 06:41 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,485,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Why would the Russian economy take a huge hit? It’s a natural resources economy. Germany will buy all the natural gas the Russians can pump to them. The west will buy any and all oil they produce and all the minerals they dig out of the ground. The west doesn’t have the political will to send troops. The United States will only deploy military where they have overwhelming superiority. US troops in the Ukraine is a political impossibility.

So I think Putin will grab as much of the Ukraine as he can get away with, what’s left of the Ukraine will be forced to sign a sham “peace treaty”, and it will be business as usual a year from now.

Roughly 70% of their exports go to the West. 50% to Europe alone. They heavily depend on Europe. They mainly use pipelines to export their oil and gas. Even if they found new customers for their gas/oil, the pipelines would take years to build. The largest liquified gas exporters are Qatar and the U.S. They can fill the gap. If they can't sell their gas, you will see an economic collapse worse than what you saw after 1990.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2022, 06:52 AM

5,214 posts, read 4,017,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
Not even your PM is backing Russia anymore.

Eastern European politicians are just puppets installed by the west, no politician "supporting" russia will be allowed by washington/brusells since 1989.

Old 02-26-2022, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
"5 Million Russian Citizens Left Russia Under Putin: Young, well-educated Russians are seeking a better life abroad".. and polls show that far more young Russians want to leave, especially those with better education. Why would so many young and well-educated Russians desire to leave the Great and Glorious Republic of Putinstan - the land of milk, honey and freedom? I wonder how many Americans and Europeans immigrate to Russia?

https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2021/...r-putin-a75246

Looks like these people aren't so well educated if they go to a country which is against freedom, aren't they?

Old 02-26-2022, 07:07 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,301,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Why would the Russian economy take a huge hit? It’s a natural resources economy. Germany will buy all the natural gas the Russians can pump to them. The west will buy any and all oil they produce and all the minerals they dig out of the ground. The west doesn’t have the political will to send troops. The United States will only deploy military where they have overwhelming superiority. US troops in the Ukraine is a political impossibility.

So I think Putin will grab as much of the Ukraine as he can get away with, what’s left of the Ukraine will be forced to sign a sham “peace treaty”, and it will be business as usual a year from now.

I am gaining the impression that the Russians will maintain close control over the eastern border, the southern littoral, and possibly the entire Dnieper valley up to Belarus, including Kiev, perhaps in the framework of a peace treaty and new federal constitution, sham or not, while the western half centered around Lviv will come into the western fold supervised closely by Poland and the US, with some help from Hungary and Slovakia; German businesses will operate, but the Germans won’t be allowed to make any foreign policy and military decisions.

And therein will lie a Cold Peace/War. So, yes, on that basis, business as usual a year from now.

Just an impression, I really don’t know.

Old 02-26-2022, 07:12 AM

602 posts, read 495,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
I am gaining the impression that the Russians will maintain close control over the eastern border, the southern littoral, and possibly the entire Dnieper valley up to Belarus, including Kiev, perhaps in the framework of a peace treaty and new federal constitution, sham or not, while the western half centered around Lviv will come into the western fold supervised closely by Poland and the US, with some help from Hungary and Slovakia; German businesses will operate, but the Germans won’t be allowed to make any foreign policy and military decisions.

And therein will lie a Cold Peace/War. So, yes, on that basis, business as usual a year from now.

Just an impression, I really don’t know.
I can gurantee you that the Polish will not be part of of any "Ribbentrop Molotov"-like pact.
I mean wtf have you been smoking?

If the Ukranians don't manage to repel the Russians, then I am sure the Polish along with its neighbours will support rebels until Ukraine is completely free again.

Old 02-26-2022, 07:17 AM

17,604 posts, read 17,642,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
Looks like these people aren't so well educated if they go to a country which is against freedom, aren't they?
You really believe Putin’s government is more free than other nations?

Old 02-26-2022, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
You really believe Putin’s government is more free than other nations?

At least you can say what you think, dress they way you want and avoid the death penalty, it's no North Korea.

Old 02-26-2022, 07:29 AM

1,348 posts, read 624,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDentist View Post
I can gurantee you that the Polish will not be part of of any "Ribbentrop Molotov"-like pact.
I mean wtf have you been smoking?

If the Ukranians don't manage to repel the Russians, then I am sure the Polish along with its neighbours will support rebels until Ukraine is completely free again.
It's funny..

Poles sleep and see how to grab a piece of Ukraine around Lviv.. Have you ever heard of "East Kresy"?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kresy

Old 02-26-2022, 07:36 AM

61,660 posts, read 87,041,175 times
All my saved live webcams showing border crossings are not working now. Webcams showing cities in Ukraine are off too.
Here is one showing the border with Ukraine at Budomierz.
The cars you see are on Polish site waiting to pickup families, friends and anyone crossing the border to Poland. Little earlier there were several busses, now I can see just one left.
https://lookcam.pl/budomierz-przejsc...strony-polski/
Google Ukraine map to see the traffic on the roads to Poland.
Russia has blocked Twitter and threatened to do the same with Facebook.
Circumvention for those in Russia is currently possible using VPN services, which can work around government-imposed restrictions.

Old 02-26-2022, 07:47 AM

So are they gonna talk or not...it's confusing:

"
Ukraine open to talks but not Russian ultimatums, Zellensky’s advisor says

Kyiv has denied suggestions from the Kremlin that it is refusing to negotiate a ceasefire with Russia, but says it is not ready to accept ultimatums or unacceptable conditions.
Mykhailo Podolyak, an adviser to Zelenkskyy, told the Reuters news agency that Ukraine has prepared a negotiating position but was being confronted with impractical negotiating conditions from Moscow.
“It was yesterday that the aggressive actions of the armed forces of the Russian Federation escalated, up to evening and night mass air and missile strikes on Ukrainian cities,” he said. “We consider such actions only an attempt to break Ukraine and force it to accept categorically unacceptable conditions.”"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe