Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2022, 03:47 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,586,174 times

Advertisements

https://web.archive.org/web/20220226...775162336.html

The Text is in Russian.

Russian media was preparing for a speedy victory and pre-published accolades for wisdom of der Putin.

To summarize article, # 1 Russian objective in Ukraine is Putin writing his name in history as a uniter of "Russian" lands. Every other reason Russians toyed with is just bs. Vlad wants his name in history, Vlad wants complete subjugation of Ukraine followed by creation of Belarus II, a "nation" of subjugated, colonized by Russia people without identity, culture, language, historical memories. That's pure nazism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2022, 03:51 PM

1,651 posts, read 864,339 times
Well, thanking this will all be over soon. It's becoming clear that Russia will not be able to achieve its objectives without sustaining massive casualties. Read the U.S. is sending more anti-aircraft missiles. While people call Putin crazy, I doubt those directly under him will allow him to go nuclear or perform a genocide on the city.

Old 02-27-2022, 04:49 PM

Below is a speech of Hitler right before invading Poland. Compare it to Putin' speech before invading Ukraine, so many similarities, yet Russians say they are not nazis. If you sound like a nazi, act like a nazi, you are a nazi.

I have also tried to solve the problem of Danzig, the Corridor, etc., by proposing a peaceful discussion... In my talks with Polish statesmen I discussed the ideas which you recognize from my last speech to the Reichstag... there is nothing more modest or loyal than these proposals... These proposals have been refused. Not only were they answered first with mobilization, but with increased terror and pressure against our German compatriots... Poland was not prepared to settle the Corridor question in a reasonable way... I made one more final effort to accept a proposal for mediation... For two whole days I sat with my Government and waited to see whether it was convenient for the Polish Government to send a plenipotentiary or not... Deputies, if the German Government and its Leader patiently endured such treatment Germany would deserve only to disappear from the political stage. But I am wrongly judged if my love of peace and my patience are mistaken for weakness or even cowardice... These proposals for mediation have failed...

Old 02-27-2022, 04:55 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,776,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
It's not their fault! The only way they could stop it would be to make concessions, which would only invite Putin to do it again, and to take more of their territory. At a certain point, they needed to say "enough". Russia was devouring Ukraine, bite by bite. Now, Putin has decided to eat the whole thing all at once. But Ukraine wasn't the aggressor before, and they aren't the aggressor now, this is all Russia's doing. It's not Ukraine's army in Russia, each time it's been the Russian army, in Ukraine.
Russia is already the biggest country on earth. Why is that murderous thug Putin so greedy?

Old 02-27-2022, 05:10 PM

401 posts, read 534,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Russia is already the biggest country on earth. Why is that murderous thug Putin so greedy?
He and his mob buddies are milking the cash cow. And he is not afraid of Nato, but his own people. He has nightmares of what happened to Saddaam.

Hopefully the Russians will remember 1917..

Old 02-27-2022, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I think this is the most misinformed post out of all 1600 or so in this thread
Stalin' USSR was absolutely culpable in nursing Hitler military might and starting WWII, it is not a surprise that many WWII archives are still designated "top secret" by Putin' regime. Entire russian war mythology must be resting on that secrecy.

Old 02-27-2022, 05:41 PM

10,067 posts, read 14,935,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Not to defend Russia, much less Putin and certainly not justifying the invasion at all (in fact, I'm very much against it), but few parts of gigantic Russia are as far south as the Ukraine (with the much better weather that entails).

Not much use if a country is huge and much of that land is a tundra, sort of speak. I'm sure Canada understands.

I hope Putin doesn't get the idea that Russia needs coconut palms studded beaches. The tropics everywhere would be under threat! lol

Old 02-27-2022, 05:42 PM

12,384 posts, read 9,483,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
Of course, I do. I know all about the German-Soviet Nonaggression Pact, in which the two countries agreed to take no military action against each other for the next 10 years. I doubt Russia was prepared for a war and it brought them a little bit of time.

Germany alone began WWII. With or without the nonaggression pact, Germany would have began WWII.

There was no Russians fighting along Germany.
HOWEVER, they did split Poland between themselves in the end of September 1939. It's a slight distinction, but a valid/important one.

Countries don't have to be "friends" to be useful allies. In war: "my enemy's enemy is my friend." This is how "war makes strange bedfellows."

I would never say Russia and US were friends.

Russia didn't not double cross the Allies. Unfortunately, FDR handed those countries to Stalin.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Territ...r_World_War_II

My family had always been a Polish minority in the Ukraine. After WWII, the Ukrainian committed genocide of Poles. My relatives had a choice. One or two stayed in the Ukraine. Most thought it was safer to leave. They were given two hours to pack two suitcases and were shipped to western Poland for their own protection.

The Allies forces were worried about another genocide. Fast forward to 2014.

Many Eastern Europeans were shocked at how the boundaries were drawn. The land to the east of Krakow had always been considered Poland's but it was given to the Ukraine. Many people on both the west and east of the Ukraine were unhappy.
Germany went first, but Russia attacked Poland from the east while Germany attacked them from the west. "September 17, 1939: Soviet Union invades Poland"
https://www.history.com/this-day-in-...invades-poland

I don't understand how, despite everything they have done, you can find no fault whatsover with Russia. When I say that Russia subjugated eastern Europe for 40 years, you say oh, that's FDR's fault! FDR didn't tell Russia to do that! And then you launch into complaining about injustices from Ukraine. You say you're Polish - Poland suffered under Soviet rule for all this time, and they were the first nation as I recall, to have a serious movement inside (Solidarity) to break away from Russia and Communist rule. Would you like to see Russia invade and annex Poland, to return to those "good old days"? I can tell you that from everything I have seen, Poland is trying to establish a vigorous military, and it's not to defend against Ukraine, or even Germany, it's to defend against Russia. So I think few people in Poland want it to be ruled by Putin, outside of maybe you and your family.

P.S. I am not Polish, but I have had some good friends who are Polish immigrants, and funny enough, they don't speak fondly of Russia. You are this strange outlier, but then, you're also far more critical of the USA than you are of Russia, and you also claim to be American.

Last edited by OutdoorLover; 02-27-2022 at 06:07 PM..

Old 02-27-2022, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Not to defend Russia, much less Putin and certainly not justifying the invasion at all (in fact, I'm very much against it), but few parts of gigantic Russia are as far south as the Ukraine (with the much better weather that entails).

Not much use if a country is huge and much of that land is a tundra, sort of speak. I'm sure Canada understands.

I hope Putin doesn't get the idea that Russia needs coconut palms studded beaches. The tropics everywhere would be under threat! lol
Climate change is real. Ukrainian climate changes to the worse. Relatively mild, snow less winters, (super) hot, dry summers. Much of the most productive Ukrainian soils require or will require irrigation. Russian landmass will benefit much more of the climate change. It is not about living space, it is about glory of Vlad the Re-uniter of former imperial lands and enforcer of unity as Russian nazis see it, it is about his place in history books. I follow some Russian sources and it's a widely shared sentiment, Ukrainians are tossing aside their russification and move away from the Russian narrative, russian nazis fear that this process will become irreversible soon and they must hurry and pay whatever price. They do intend to cleanse Ukraine of ukrainian identity. They talk about it openly, just label it all "de-nazification" and do whatever it takes, that's the plan. Russian invading forces include a good chunk of special police detachments notorious from the days of Chechen wars for their human rights abuses in the course of anti-guerilla war. Russians do not want to waste any time and start cleansing the area of Ukrainian element right after the regular troops defeating Ukrainian army.

Last edited by RememberMee; 02-27-2022 at 06:07 PM..

Old 02-28-2022, 12:08 AM

61,658 posts, read 87,023,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
This is why their government needed to stop their civil war before it came to this point.

Unfortunately, their president was a former actor and comedian with no prior political experience. Basically, the Ukrainian Donald Trump. It's bad enough, but their president has no business experience and no experience negotiating anything. So he's worse than Trump.
Well, we had Reagan - a Hollywood cowboy...

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky and his courageous nation have already done more to transform the West's policy toward Russia than 30 years of post-Cold War summits.
The Ukrainian leader's defiance has inspired and shamed the United States and the European Union into going far further -- and far faster -- in turning Russia into a pariah state than it appeared they were ready to go.
https://edition.cnn.com/2022/02/28/p...sia/index.html

No, he is not Donald Trump.

Not sure who will be a part of Ukrainian negotiators, most likely not just the president (if even) but a delegation.
"Ukrainian and Russian peace negotiators agreed to meet near the Belarusian border on Sunday"
https://www.politico.eu/article/ukra...y-putin-hague/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe