Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2022, 11:57 AM

12,393 posts, read 9,493,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgerider View Post
Thank you! Why does Ukraine still not have NATO membership? And who within NATO decides which countries get in and which do not? Even those 2 questions, when searched online, do not really get answered without a long drawn-out opinion piece. I much prefer a succinct response - and appreciate the one you gave above on my previous question.
Ukraine has also asked for EU membership, and that has not yet been granted either. It is difficult for me to to give a full answer as to why they've not yet been admitted to either.

I think part of it certainly, has been some amount of instability in Ukraine and ongoing difficulties with corruption, and weakness in their economy - the EU prefers members that can clearly pay their own way... there have been some issues already with that from some existing EU nations, e.g. Greece.

And when it comes to NATO, it's been clear for years now that Russia doesn't want Ukraine to be a free, indpendent and democratic state, and I think part of it is that NATO isn't necessarily keen about taking on the increased risk of having Ukraine as a member - if any member is attacked, the others are bound to defend it. Russia is a nuclear state, and a shooting war with NATO could turn into World War III, which could literally be the war to end all wars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2022, 12:04 PM

26,778 posts, read 22,529,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Ukraine has also asked for EU membership, and that has not yet been granted either. It is difficult for me to to give a full answer as to why they've not yet been admitted to either.

I think part of it certainly, has been some amount of instability in Ukraine and ongoing difficulties with corruption, and weakness in their economy - the EU prefers members that can clearly pay their own way... there have been some issues already with that from some existing EU nations, e.g. Greece.

And when it comes to NATO, it's been clear for years now that Russia doesn't want Ukraine to be a free, indpendent and democratic state, and I think part of it is that NATO isn't necessarily keen about taking on the increased risk of having Ukraine as a member - if any member is attacked, the others are bound to defend it. Russia is a nuclear state, and a shooting war with NATO could turn into World War III, which could literally be the war to end all wars.

A lot of these dimwits on Maidan Square were rioting back in 2014, because they decided that Yahukovich refused to sign the agreement, ADMITTING UKRAINE IN EU.

All while Yanukovich was reading the fine print of economic proposal made by EU on that "EU ASSOCIATION" paper, realizing what a trap it was, and refused to get into this trap - understandably so.

By now these Ukrainian dimwits ( who are STILL not in EU - surprise-surprise,) are successfully turned into the cannon fodder to fight the Russians.

Isn't it a diabolical plan in action, or what?

Old 02-27-2022, 12:11 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,586,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
Such a well thoughtful response to my post. Really!

Well, you are just so witty! LOL.
Ok, nice to know. Russians supplied conspiracysphere with tonnes of infotainment, carry on. Your posts paraphrasing russian propaganda deserve no response, just laughter.

Old 02-27-2022, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
Ok, nice to know. Russians supplied conspiracysphere with tonnes of infotainment, carry on. Your posts paraphrasing russian propaganda deserve no response, just laughter.

A lot of us already know by now, that whatever is not supporting the politically-correct, officially promoted point of view, must be "Russian propaganda."

Which is amazingly reminiscent of Russia circa Soviet times, when anything that was not supporting state propaganda was deemed as the "Machinations of the enemies from the capitalist West"

Old 02-27-2022, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
A lot of us already know by now, that whatever is not supporting the politically-correct, officially promoted point of view, must be "Russian propaganda."

Which is amazingly reminiscent of Russia circa Soviet times, when anything that was not supporting state propaganda was deemed as the "Machinations of the enemies from the capitalist West"
Sturmbannführer Erasure, Vlad info troopers supplly enormous amount of infotainment for conspiracy nuts, far right and far left. Numerous talking heads and writing pens are on russian payroll.The poster I replied to obviously does not have knowledge, education or brain power to sort through all that info garbage to find a few grains of truth in it. Carry on your faithful service to the Russian motherland. Heil Vlad.

Old 02-27-2022, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
Sturmbannführer Erasure, Vlad info troopers supplly enormous amount of infotainment for conspiracy nuts, far right and far left. Numerous talking heads and writing pens are on russian payroll.The poster I replied to obviously does not have knowledge, education or brain power to sort through all that info garbage to find a few grains of truth in it. Carry on your faithful service to the Russian motherland. Heil Vlad.

Jawohl, but fortunately, the Youtube supplies bloggers, youtubbers and plenty of news coming from the witnesses from all over the place.
Thousands of them.

Like right now for example I am watching a guy living in Kharkov and what he has to say about the situation.

Can you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoXu34dFliE

Old 02-27-2022, 12:41 PM

5,214 posts, read 4,017,586 times
Quote:

I like this one, despite the "heated exchange" it goes to show it's not like in the movies where Nazis are shooting schmeisers and screaming "scheissseee"...:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFH9wb5RrAc

Old 02-27-2022, 12:46 PM

These captured russian storm troopers have a message for you sturmbannführer Erasure, starting 30th second or so.
https://youtu.be/u1QcRmKIUa0

Old 02-27-2022, 12:48 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
Quote:
No it was very "foreseeable" indeed - I am talking about the specific situation during the WWII, and yes, million people ended up dead, because of this territorial dispute.

Siege of Leningrad.

( Someone on another thread brought that subject of the *innocent Finland,* and "savage Russia," that's why I am referring to it now.)

It's not about "saving few people in Eastern Ukraine," really.
The nuclear war meter goes up as soon as the US/NATO countries decide to install the hostile puppet regime on the Russian border.

So at this point, when Putin realized that the problem is only mushrooming and ballooning ( instead of dissipating as he was hoping initially) here comes his delayed reaction.

If he'd REALLY cared about "saving lives in the Eastern Ukraine" (not "few", but thousands of them actually,) then he'd taken over the Russian speaking South-East at the same time as he took over Crimea.

But now he is solving the geopolitical problem of his state, a viable threat to it, using these people as an excuse.

That's not my statement, that's how one of the Russians/Ukrainians described it on-line, and I think he is correct.

Then clearly in order to end this territorial dispute, and save the lives of billions of people, following your reasoning, nuclear weapons should be aimed at the Kremlin. Save the many at the expense of the few.

Old 02-27-2022, 12:51 PM

2,418 posts, read 2,035,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Thanks again. In the back of my mind, I sort of suspected this, but that's a worrisome premise, as I could see Putin flexing the nuclear muscle with or without Ukraine in NATO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe