Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2022, 04:59 PM

25,559 posts, read 17,267,108 times

Advertisements

Most people do not know that Ukraine has discovered 39 trillion of gas reserves. Russia would very much like to own that.
Meanwhile, Russia is paying billions in fees to send natural gas through Ukraine.

Some of the gas in beneath the Black Sea. That makes holding on to Crimea critical for Russia, and Ukraine has turned off the fresh water. Water reservoir is at 7% of capacity in Crimea.

Putin may settle for winning the area of Ukraine along the Black Sea - that is, all the coast line - but time will tell whether he'll get anything at all. A land locked Ukraine with Russia claiming the entire coast would make Putin very happy.

Here's my reference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=If61...l=RealLifeLore
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2022, 05:05 PM

12,386 posts, read 9,493,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
That graph is a bit misleading since China has a much larger population. It’s a lot easier to have fast economic growth when you start from the bottom of the barrel. That being said Russia could be doing considerably better and the Ukraine crisis since 2014 has been stagnating Russia’s economy, Putin is following similar foot steps to Brezhnev.
Oh? In the late 1980s, Russia had a larger GDP. Who has the larger GDP today, by far? China is now a major economic power. Russia has lots of weapons, but they don't have lots of roubles. Many advanced nations have facilities for manufacturing in China, and China has their own rising industries in numerous areas, including R&D services, pharmaceuticals, automobiles, consumer electronics and many more sectors. In 2021, China exported $2.7 Trillion in goods and services, while Russia exported $0.4 Trillion - and most of that was oil and gas. Remind me again where Russia is making an impact, besides their negative impacts on Ukraine?

Old 02-28-2022, 06:08 PM

• Oil companies Shell, BP and Equinor have announced that they are exiting projects that they have been conducting with Russia's Gazprom. Those companies will take a significant financial hit themselves for these commitments.
  • Soccer organizations FIFA and UEFA have suspended Russian teams from international competition, and this season’s Champions League final will now be held in Paris instead of Russia.
  • The International Olympic Committee has called for Russia to be excluded from international events.

There is a lot of support for Ukraine in their darkest hour. And I think that most European nations understand that if they don't punish Russia for this aggression, they could be the next victims.

Old 02-28-2022, 06:15 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,354,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
  • Oil companies Shell, BP and Equinor have announced that they are exiting projects that they have been conducting with Russia's Gazprom. Those companies will take a significant financial hit themselves for these commitments.
  • Soccer organizations FIFA and UEFA have suspended Russian teams from international competition, and this season’s Champions League final will now be held in Paris instead of Russia.
  • The International Olympic Committee has called for Russia to be excluded from international events.

There is a lot of support for Ukraine in their darkest hour. And I think that most European nations understand that if they don't punish Russia for this aggression, they could be the next victims.
Not to mention:
  • Switzerland abandoned its long-standing neutrality to apply sanctions to Russia for its war on Ukraine.
  • Turkey closed off access for Russian military ships exiting the Black Sea due to the Russian war on Ukraine.
  • The International Criminal Court in Hague prosecutor has said there are reasons to "believe that both alleged war crimes and crimes against humanity have been committed in Ukraine" as they prepare to open investigations into Russian war crimes.
  • Russia's stock market remains closed, the Ruble continues to plummet internationally, businesses are de-investing in Russia, interest rates have risen to 20%, and a run on the banks continues. I truly feel bad for the pain felt by average Russian citizens due to sanctions as a result of this unnecessary attack on a neighboring country.

Old 02-28-2022, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfb View Post
Not to mention:
  • Switzerland abandoned its long-standing neutrality to apply sanctions to Russia for its war on Ukraine.
  • Turkey closed off access for Russian military ships exiting the Black Sea due to the Russian war on Ukraine.
  • The International Criminal Court in Hague prosecutor has said there are reasons to "believe that both alleged war crimes and crimes against humanity have been committed in Ukraine" as they prepare to open investigations into Russian war crimes.
  • Russia's stock market remains closed, the Ruble continues to plummet internationally, businesses are de-investing in Russia, interest rates have risen to 20%, and a run on the banks continues. I truly feel bad for the pain felt by average Russian citizens due to sanctions as a result of this unnecessary attack on a neighboring country.
Yes, even Switzerland is doing *something* - that is amazing.

Old 02-28-2022, 06:46 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,466,576 times
Sounds like a great place.

- 12,000 Neo Nazi members in it's official Neo Nazi army unit
- Denying Black people from evacuating war zones while allowing White Ukrainians to leave

https://www.globalcitizen.org/en/con...ople-of-color/
https://worldbulletin.dunyabulteni.n...sh-h13138.html

Old 02-28-2022, 06:58 PM
rfb

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post

- Denying Black people from evacuating war zones while allowing White Ukrainians to leave

You are basing Neo-Nazi comments based on an obsure 2007 article? Seriously? With Ukraine having a Jewish president? Really?

I agree that countries around Ukraine need to do better with accepting people of color as refugees, especially those fleeing the Russian invasion of Ukraine. I don't see how that reflects on Ukraine, but it does reflect poorly on Europe as a whole.

Old 02-28-2022, 07:04 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post

Yes, it's terrible. But your first link is actually about the Poles not allowing blacks to cross into Poland. It's not about Ukraine.

Your second link is about 150 Ukraine skinheads some years old. I'm not sure which country, Poland or Ukraine you are criticizing.

Old 02-28-2022, 07:06 PM
rfb

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Yes, it's terrible. But your first link is actually about the Poles not allowing blacks to cross into Poland. It's not about Ukraine.

Your second link is about 150 Ukrainian skinheads some years old. I'm not sure which country, Poland or Ukrainian you are criticizing.
They aren't my links - I guess I thought the person who posted them was talking about Ukraine. But, yes, what does Poland have to do with Ukraine? His/her post is really confusing.

Old 02-28-2022, 10:30 PM

26,777 posts, read 22,529,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
I like this one, despite the "heated exchange" it goes to show it's not like in the movies where Nazis are shooting schmeisers and screaming "scheissseee"...:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFH9wb5RrAc

Sorry I missed it.

There was really no "heated exchange" - otherwise they wouldn't be joking and laughing.
The whole exchange sounded rather interesting.
The man was not particularly happy to see Russian soldiers there, but the way he addressed them, sent the signal right away that he was no Ukrainian nationalist, but a Russian speaker (who probably served in the Soviet army himself many years ago.)

I think it might reflect the lukewarm temperature from the Russian-speaking part of Ukrainians, who might be glad to get rid of Ukrainian nationalists, but who are not thrilled with perspective to be run from Moscow.

So it all depends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe