Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2022, 01:54 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,420,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turist View Post
Well, okay, okay))
And as for hugs, they are and will be much more.the society of Ukraine is under strong oppression and fear. in recent years.it wouldn't be safe to just walk through the city with the wrong T-shirt.And now it is quite possible to get a bullet or be beaten. Because there will always be a couple of idiots shouting Glory to Ukraine ! and they are very aggressive. so dissent, especially open dissent, is not safe yet.

Wait a little bit, and all the Nazi **** pops up. a lot of people will pretend to be very surprised.
Sounds like you're describing Moscow. I know several African Americans who visited. Some of them were also LGBTQ+. Why just here, in this forum, a video was discredited because one of the people in the video had pink hair and was described as "woke" i.e. fake news.

Laughing out loud at your hypocrisy. Didn't Putin outlaw sharing of this photo?

https://www.city-data.com/forum/62971147-post765.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2022, 01:54 PM

8,496 posts, read 3,337,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfb View Post
No, I said (and I quote): "What did Russia expect - that Ukraine was going to welcome them with open arms?"
Putin had his ideas. This from 2014. “Novorossiya”

Quote:
On April 17, Vladimir Putin introduced a dangerously expansive new concept into the Ukraine crisis. During his four-hour question and answer session on Russian TV that day he pointedly mentioned “Novorossiya” – a large swath of territory conquered by Imperial Russia during the 18th century from a declining Ottoman Empire. This historic Novorossiya covered roughly a third of what is now Ukraine (including Crimea).

Subsequent comments and actions by Putin and his surrogates have made it clear that the Kremlin’s goal is once again to establish its dominance over the lands once called Novorossiya. Furthermore, it is clear that Putin hopes to push his control well beyond this region’s historic boundaries to include other contiguous provinces with large Russian-speaking populations.
https://www.fpri.org/article/2014/05...nt-of-ukraine/

Mikhail Khodarenok refers to Putin's Novorossiya plan in his analysis I mentioned above.

Quote:
Let’s start with the last. To assert that no one in Ukraine will defend the regime signifies practically a complete lack of knowledge about the military-political situation and moods of the broad masses in the neighboring state. And the degree of hatred (which, as is well-known, is the most effective fuel for armed conflict) in the neighboring republic toward Moscow is plainly underestimated. No one in Ukraine will meet the Russian army with bread, salt and flowers.

It seems events in south-east Ukraine in 2014 didn’t teach anyone anything. Then they also figured that the entire left-bank Ukraine in one fell swoop and ticked-off seconds would turn into Novorossiya. They already drew the maps, thought out the personnel contingent for the future city and regional administrations, worked out state flags.

But even the Russian-speaking population of this part of Ukraine (including also cities like Kharkov, Zaporozhe, Dnepropetrovsk, Mariupol) didn’t support similar thoughts by a huge majority. The “Novorossiya” project somehow imperceptibly deflated and quietly died.
https://russiandefpolicy.com/2022/02...ke-on-ukraine/
He is the former head of the Main Operational Directorate of the Russian Armed Forces’ General Staff and the editor of an influential military journal. Khodarenok has strong ties with active-duty senior officers. Apparently other Russians. Other retired Russian military officers published warnings to the many senior political officials in Moscow, deriding their notion Russia could conquer Ukraine in short order.
https://slate.com/news-and-politics/...pposition.html

Old 03-06-2022, 01:59 PM

2,216 posts, read 1,020,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Sounds like you're describing Moscow. I know several African Americans who visited. Some of them were also LGBTQ+. Why just here, in this forum, a video was discredited because one of the people in the video had pink hair and was described as "woke" i.e. fake news.

Laughing out loud at your hypocrisy. Didn't Putin outlaw sharing of this photo?
No, I'm not describing Moscow, but Ukraine. I don't understand what this LGBT activist has to do with it at all? Well. if he decided to walk down the street in his..um ammunition and still behave defiantly at the same time. What. a couple of bruises may well provide him. Because this behavior is deeply toxic.

Old 03-06-2022, 02:01 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,420,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turist View Post
No, I'm not describing Moscow, but Ukraine. I don't understand what this LGBT activist has to do with it at all? Well. if he decided to walk down the street in his..um ammunition and still behave defiantly at the same time. What. a couple of bruises may well provide him. Because this behavior is deeply toxic.
Thank you for confirming my point. Fish in a barrel.

Old 03-06-2022, 02:06 PM

26,777 posts, read 22,529,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
Can you tell me why the Crimean Peninsula of Ukraine didn't ever really resist with the annexation back in 2014?

I think the answer is obvious - they were the Russians that didn't want to be forcibly "Ukranianicized" by the Nationalists.

They didn't want to be murdered while resisting this process, they didn't want to speak the backward dialect instead of their native Russian language, they didn't want to become part of the backward culture, and they didn't want to become part of the American/NATO-backed territory.

When I am arguing the whole case of Ukraine, I am not looking necessarily at it from Putin's point of view. ( At least not until recently.)
I put myself in the shoes of the population of the South Eastern Ukraine, and I'd be LIVID if forced to go through this process of "Ukrainianization" pushed by the Nationalists.

So I really-really felt for them because of everything I saw happening over there.

Quote:

2014, 2015 actually feels quite peaceful compared to 2022... Even if you are ethnic Russian in Crimea, I am really quite surprised. I thought that side was one of the most Ukranian things in the entire country with the sea resorts. Any conflict honestly postponed almost one decade later with 7 to 9 years.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/euro...l#post63029294
https://www.city-data.com/forum/euro...l#post63029640
Those years could only "feel quite peaceful" to people deprived of the information.

In reality, those years in Ukraine were anything but "peaceful."
The only place that remained peaceful from 2014, was Crimea after the Russian takeover.

Old 03-06-2022, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
EveryLady...
No one in the Russian government in the right mind ( not to mention general Russian population) was expecting Ukraine "to meet Russian army with flowers."
This could be a case back in 2014, but both Russian gov. and Russian public realize what happened within the last 8 years, since unlike Western public, they could see with their own eyes ( and hear with their own ears) what was going on in Ukraine, once the Nationalists took over.

The Ukrainian former military guy whose blog I follow, devoted one of his last dispatches on explanation how the Russian government is planning to deal with this hatred, and what policies it pursues now in the overtaken territories.

The rest of your post - sorry, there are so many fakes "made in Ukraine" circulating now in the Social media, that I am not sure whether it's even worth to look into it.
IDK. The fakes are mentioned. The reason this one is gaining more traction is described. Instead of dismissing or accepting content I tend to judge probabilities by who first publishes then who is willing to retweet. I saw it thru Alexander Vindman, who has been criticized for being a bit too accepting.

Content that could be criticized as either bad analysis or incorrect is noted. That I passed on. You spend a lot of time looking at on-line videos providing what you think is on-point. This is being widely circulated. So at a minimum shows what others think happening.

That there are some unhappy FSB analysts is far from unbelievable with reports of contacts between the FSB and Ukrainians, for example regarding possible assassination attempts. Maybe true, maybe not.

Old 03-06-2022, 02:12 PM

26,777 posts, read 22,529,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
IDK. The fakes are mentioned. The reason this one is gaining more traction is described. Instead of dismissing or accepting content I tend to judge probabilities by who first publishes then who is willing to retweet. I saw it thru Alexander Vindman, who has been criticized for being a bit too accepting.

Content that could be criticized as either bad analysis or incorrect is noted. That I passed on. You spend a lot of time looking at on-line videos providing what you think describes what's going on. This is being widely circulated. So at a minimum shows what others think happening.

That there are some unhappy FSB analysts is far from unbelievable with reports of contacts between the FSB and Ukrainians, for example regarding possible assassination attempts. Maybe true, maybe not.

Alexander Windman is of Ukrainian background, so there is a reason why he is "a bit too accepting."

Old 03-06-2022, 02:13 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
Quote:
I think the answer is obvious - they were the Russians that didn't want to be forcibly "Ukranianicized" by the Nationalists.

They didn't want to be murdered while resisting this process, they didn't want to speak the backward dialect instead of their native Russian language, they didn't want to become part of the backward culture, and they didn't want to become part of the American/NATO-backed territory.

When I am arguing the whole case of Ukraine, I am not looking necessarily at it from Putin's point of view. ( At least not until recently.)
I put myself in the shoes of the population of the South Eastern Ukraine, and I'd be LIVID if forced to go through this process of "Ukrainianization" pushed by the Nationalists.

So I really-really felt for them because of everything I saw happening over there.

Those years could only "feel quite peaceful" to people deprived of the information.

In reality, those years in Ukraine were anything but "peaceful."
The only place that remained peaceful from 2014, was Crimea after the Russian takeover.
"Backward dialect," eh? I've met people like you.

My grandfather was a refugee from Crimea after the Revolution.

Old 03-06-2022, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Alexander Windman is of Ukrainian background, so there is a reason why he is "a bit too accepting."
Sure, but like I said he got criticized a couple of times for being too fast to accept. Fingers burned once? There is a difference between cherry-picking content and ignoring an obvious fake. From tweets, he also has an interest in maintaining a reputation as a credible analyst. Not being a shill. Trashing the reputation he got for speaking "truth" earlier on Ukraine.

Like when trying to figure out whether an antique is real, the provenance or chain of transmission is helpful. At minimum, its a potential point of view.

Time will tell. All this is are ideas and thoughts, that could be part of a puzzle: WHY IN THE WORLD DID PUTIN INVADE AND HOW DID HE THINK HE COULD PULL IT OFF?

Old 03-06-2022, 02:19 PM

2,216 posts, read 1,020,797 times
https://strangesounds.org/2022/02/us...-they-are.html

It seems that there is something very, very illegal.And oddly enough, it is in these places that there are strong fighting. Just a coincidence?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe