Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2015, 07:49 AM

75 posts, read 72,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post
newjobfashion, can you tell me why Russians must annexing Baltic States (Latvia, Lithuania, Estonia)? I understand when people talk about annexation of Ukraine or Belarus (although it also has no relation to reality). Russians perceive these countries as native to them. But annexing sprats? This is stupid. Why need Russians do that?
Annexation of Belarus? Last I read, Belarus were good friends with Russian, even conducting intelligence gathering missions together and such. Annexation of Belarus just doesn't make sense to me, they were great friends since two decades before now, if I recall correctly. I may have missed something important though, as I haven't done any research, just random stuff I've read throughout the years...

As for Russians annexing Baltic states (particularly Latvia and Lithuania), I think because Lithuania and Latvia are so much like Russia. There's a lot of blockhouses there (google maps is your friend), there's a lot of Russian-speakers, a lot of people don't even speak Lithuanian/Latvian. Some time ago in Latvia they even tried to pass a law to make Russian a second language. There's a lot of people who love Russia, a lot of people who miss it, especially those who didn't move out due to bad living conditions and low salaries - older people - a lot of them miss "the soviet times, back when there was order." Quoting here, by the way. There's a high amount of people who don't want that of course, but it's probably about 50/50 when you think about it. And the way I see it, there wouldn't be much worse for either of those countries. Latvia doesn't have much to show for last I checked, and Lithuania is trying to pretend like it does to attract attention, so that the president could keep her spot, even though it doesn't. If you read the news of those countries (use Google Translator - that's what I use), they have pro-Lithuania or pro-Latvian propaganda of their own, and they're bashing Russia's pro-Russian propaganda.

I'm not for Russia nor for Lithuania nor for Latvia, nor for against any of them. I don't care about the countries. I just have an opinion about the whole situation based on various information I've gathered throughout the years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2015, 08:04 AM

5,786 posts, read 4,234,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newjobfashion View Post
Annexation of Belarus? Last I read, Belarus were good friends with Russian, even conducting intelligence gathering missions together and such. Annexation of Belarus just doesn't make sense to me, they were great friends since two decades before now, if I recall correctly. I may have missed something important though, as I haven't done any research, just random stuff I've read throughout the years...
I wrote about the discussion of annexation. In reality, Russians and Belarusians do not want annexation. Several years ago Union State was discussed, but it will not be created in the coming years.

Quote:
As for Russians annexing Baltic states (particularly Latvia and Lithuania), I think because Lithuania and Latvia are so much like Russia. There's a lot of blockhouses there (google maps is your friend), there's a lot of Russian-speakers, a lot of people don't even speak Lithuanian/Latvian. Some time ago in Latvia they even tried to pass a law to make Russian a second language. There's a lot of people who love Russia, a lot of people who miss it, especially those who didn't move out due to bad living conditions and low salaries - older people - a lot of them miss "the soviet times, back when there was order." Quoting here, by the way. There's a high amount of people who don't want that of course, but it's probably about 50/50 when you think about it. And the way I see it, there wouldn't be much worse for either of those countries. Latvia doesn't have much to show for last I checked, and Lithuania is trying to pretend like it does to attract attention, so that the president could keep her spot, even though it doesn't. If you read the news of those countries (use Google Translator - that's what I use), they have pro-Lithuania or pro-Latvian propaganda of their own, and they're bashing Russia's pro-Russian propaganda.

I'm not for Russia nor for Lithuania nor for Latvia, nor for against any of them. I don't care about the countries. I just have an opinion about the whole situation based on various information I've gathered throughout the years.
Russians could return to Russia from these countries. Russians in Russia will not support idea of joining the Baltic states to Federal budget.

Old 05-29-2015, 08:50 AM

Quote:
I wrote about the discussion of annexation. In reality, Russians and Belarusians do not want annexation. Several years ago Union State was discussed, but it will not be created in the coming years.

Russians could return to Russia from these countries. Russians in Russia will not support idea of joining the Baltic states to Federal budget.
Outta curiosity, why not?

Hmm. Arguably it will allow for economy growth in the sense of new territory and possibilities, but that's not something I believe in.

Old 05-29-2015, 11:59 AM

5,786 posts, read 4,234,324 times
Quote:
Outta curiosity, why not?

Hmm. Arguably it will allow for economy growth in the sense of new territory and possibilities, but that's not something I believe in.
No. Russia will not repeat mistakes of the Soviet Union. Russia will no longer sponsor the union republics.

Old 05-29-2015, 08:02 PM

Quote:
No. Russia will not repeat mistakes of the Soviet Union. Russia will no longer sponsor the union republics.
Why do you think all of this started, the thing with Ukraine, in the first place? Not implying anything by the way, just asking in a direct manner.

Old 05-29-2015, 09:09 PM

238 posts, read 198,480 times
About "Russian army" in Ukraine. Video from the show was deleted from youtube, but I've found this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biJDDaEr6Cg

Old 05-30-2015, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selena822 View Post
About "Russian army" in Ukraine. Video from the show was deleted from youtube, but I've found this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biJDDaEr6Cg
Can you translate it?

Old 05-30-2015, 01:13 PM

26,787 posts, read 22,549,184 times
Quote:
"Civilized world" will not allow to enter Russian troops to Donbass.
"Not allow" as in what? It will bring ground troops to Donbass, send the nuclear missiles, what?

Quote:
Russia is not ready to fight with whole world.
You mean African troops are rushing to Donbass too? Because this would be included into the definition of "the whole world." Who else is riuhing troops there to "fight with Russia?" Or you are talking only about the "civilized world" in this case after all?

Quote:
Furthermore, Ukraine will completely destroyed in this war.
And you want it to be destroyed "not completely?" Just partially? How much exactly?

Old 05-30-2015, 01:46 PM

26,787 posts, read 22,549,184 times
Quote:
Can you translate it?
Well as far as I followed the story ( since it was all over Russian FB yesterday,) it took place during one of the particularly notorious anti-Russian shows, ( I've heard about it, but I don't watch it, since I don't watch anything with the letters UA ( Ukraine) under it, because it's all kind of garbage of yellow press quality. The only Ukrainian journalist I follow is the person who made this clip; he lives somewhere in Europe ( since he is banned from Ukraine) and he actually understands the concept of "journalism," exposing all kind of fakes (mostly produced by Ukrainians, but in recent case it were DNR people most likely who created a fake, and he exposed it too.)
So back to the story - during this particular show the ( very popular) facilitator was interviewing *someone* (from Russian military) who supposedly knew those two captured "soldiers of the regular Russian army ( Ukrainians are obsesses with catching them you know, ) and this person was going on and on about his connection to them, what he knew about these "Russian soldiers" and so on ( with people in the audience nodding to each and every word,) until at the end this person said; "and by the way, you've let me on the air without checking any of my credentials, didn't you?" And basically told to the facilitator to "f... off."
Quite telling about the quality of Ukrainian media overall.

Last edited by erasure; 05-30-2015 at 02:57 PM..

Old 05-30-2015, 03:07 PM

238 posts, read 198,480 times
Well Erasure told everything right. This man in fact pranker, the same who communicated with Kolomoisky, on behalf of Pavel Gubarev. He told that he is colleague of captured "russian officers". People working on the show had a week to verify the information he gave them, but they preferred just to bring him on the air and there's result.
Erasure, what fake are you talking about? I hope you are talking about video with excecution of opolchenets and his pregnant wife. I still want to believe that it was just a fake
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe