Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2014, 02:14 PM

26,783 posts, read 22,537,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
Re: the peace talks.

Putin's alive alive alive! He seems to be interested.
As he should be by now.
On one hand - the risk of losing money of "western investors" in his pocket, on another - the very alert Russian population that doesn't like a bit what's going on in East Ukraine. And Russian nationalists breathing in Putin's neck as the result of it.
Yeah, anyone would be *interested* by now in Putin's place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2014, 02:56 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
A great way to put it. What I see is a lot of ill informed fools all over the western world when it comes to business in Russia. When I worked there regularly years ago I remember waiting in Shremetevo int airport and I would sometimes watch people while waiting. I noticed real fast there was always A LOT of Germans, Swedes, Chinese, S Koreans around. Sometimes it was hard to find Russians in the crowds.

The common people of the western world are almost totally ignorant of Russia, only rarely do you find someone who knows anything about it and it's even rarer to find someone who has been there for any length of time. Such ignorance makes people malleable.
Russia ranks 9th in the world and 7th in Europe for tourist destination. Russia is also the world's 4th largest tourism spender; hardly some fringe, underdeveloped country as some posters on here and many in the West think of Russia.

Old 06-23-2014, 01:35 AM

49 posts, read 73,950 times
If anyone wants to help Ukrainian army, you can send money to accounts indicated here:

https://www.linkedin.com/today/post/...-ukranian-army

or via online payments (webpages available only in Russian):
https://market.fidobank.ua/payments/...support/773013

https://market.fidobank.ua/payments/...rmarium/773084

Old 06-23-2014, 01:50 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,871,739 times
The common people of the western world are almost totally ignorant of Russia, only rarely do you find someone who knows anything about it and it's even rarer to find someone who has been there for any length of time. Such ignorance makes people malleable

Spot on! I've never been to Russsia (but I've white Russian family, a cousin of my mum married a Russian prince!) however I know what kwass and bortsch are, and many other things which help understand the Russian way of life (no I'm not a dourak, hate this word). When I was a child, my late mother - who was a leftist in her own right, whereas I've always been a rightist like my dad , who brought me to the Russian cathedral Rue Daru to wordhip- brought me to watch Einsenstein's movies and swarmed about Akademgorodok.

Old 06-23-2014, 03:44 AM

5,786 posts, read 4,231,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by povar81 View Post
If anyone wants to help Ukrainian army, you can send money to accounts indicated here:

https://www.linkedin.com/today/post/...-ukranian-army

or via online payments (webpages available only in Russian):
https://market.fidobank.ua/payments/...support/773013

https://market.fidobank.ua/payments/...rmarium/773084
Tell me why Poroshenko not want to talk with the leaders of the rebel republics?

Old 06-23-2014, 06:06 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,616,564 times
Re: 'Putin has no choice'

Just prior to the comment a ref to WWIi was introduced. I guess I just don't understand how Russia can continue on a belligerent road after the tremendous casualties of her population during that time. The grief, the sadness engendered among Russian families all appears to have taught nothing. It 's almost as if Russians have this awful sense of continuing the suffering. To me, lining up troops at this time should be a no-go. I don't think its necessary.

Old 06-23-2014, 06:17 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,871,739 times
Tell me why Poroshenko not want to talk with the leaders of the rebel republics?
For him and the Banderistas Sondergruppen, they are Untermeschen : one doesn't talk with subhumans, one destroys them.

Old 06-23-2014, 06:22 AM

847 posts, read 1,179,764 times
He must talk with the coal miners, with the people. Their worries for their economic future are reasonable. But I'm afraid that it's difficult to talk with some leading insurgents. They are a little bit crazy.

Old 06-23-2014, 06:29 AM

1,704 posts, read 1,837,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscovite View Post
He must talk with the coal miners, with the people. Their worries for their economic future are reasonable. But I'm afraid that it's difficult to talk with some leading insurgents. They are a little bit crazy.
Yes exactly, those separatist-terrorists are not the representatives of the people in that region. And if they want them to represent them than there is nothing to talk about.

Old 06-23-2014, 06:39 AM

1,704 posts, read 1,837,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Nope, Russia has no interest in "new Europe." It's not more important than buzzing flies. If Russia is interested in undermining the "strong Europe," she will hit at the right spot - i.e the backbone of Europe - Germany, and up to a certain degree at France.( Italy is yet another "weak chain" of "strong Europe" by the way.)
Russian-German ties go far back in history, to the times of the first Russian cities, and these are relations ( with all their ups and downs) that affect the rest of the world on a major scale.

Again - you are confusing Ukraine, that laid foundation for Russia back in history, with some other unrelated countries that Russia was using to her advantage at different times.
That CIA is twisting the truth nowadays in order to serve American geopolitical agenda and denying the truth about the direct connection between Kiev and Moscow, doesn't make things any better.

"Ukraine was the center of the first eastern Slavic state, Kyivan Rus, which during the 10th and 11th centuries was the largest and most
powerful state in Europe. Weakened by internecine quarrels and Mongol invasions, Kyivan Rus was incorporated into the Grand Duchy
of Lithuania and eventually into the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth. The cultural and religious legacy of Kyivan Rus laid the
foundation for Ukrainian nationalism through subsequent centuries. A new Ukrainian state, the Cossack Hetmanate, was established
during the mid-17th century after an uprising against the Poles. Despite continuous Muscovite pressure, the Hetmanate managed to
remain autonomous for well over 100 years. During the latter part of the 18th century, most Ukrainian ethnographic territory was
absorbed by the Russian Empire"

https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat...ntrypdf_up.pdf

Reading this you'd never figure out that the "Russian Empire" grew out of "Kievan Rus" ( it only "absorbed" Ukraine out of a blue you see, according to CIA,) but the twisting of facts will not change history, as much as someone would love to re-write it.
Our intelligence has something else to tell about that. Activities of attempts of Russian recruitment has risen heavily since 2007 in Estonia, even Lithuania's president told the German magazine Focus that Russia is trying to lure the Baltic's to turn their back to EU and NATO in exchange for cheap gas and oil. Maybe I'm paranoid but this to me shows clear interest and not the lack of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe