Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2014, 12:51 PM

8,864 posts, read 8,438,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint. View Post
Unless the EU waives admission criteria it is highly unlikely Ukraine will ever be admitted. Why would the EU want to admit Ukraine? The goal is to install NATO or U.S. (not much difference) military bases in the country. Beyond ensuring austerity to repay IMF loans, economic issues or improvements of any other kind are not important. Ask Saudi citizens how important 'freedom' and 'democracy' are for the U.S. to support a government - the Saudi government is among the most repressive and undemocratic in the world, yet it enjoys very strong U.S. support and counts the U.S. as its strongest ally.

I guess with U.S. military occupation of Ukraine it deters Russian invasion, but despite U.S. media reports to the contrary, that was never a real risk anyway. Hypothetically, if there was a Russian invasion, chances are that the U.S. would not do much anyway - it would abandon its assets like it did in Iran or Lebanon.
Yeah I agree with this.I don't see the point of Ukraine joining EU at all,EU is more about economy and human resources(and many other issues of course),but military is not really the foundation.Actually wasn't the whole idea of the "European Union" to reduce the possibilities of war?Ukraine has by no means reached the Copenhagen Criteria,it's in even uglier shape than any of the current candidates whose chances of actually getting into the EU are already super slim(except for Iceland,whose interest of joining EU seems to be dead anyways)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2014, 08:03 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,615,477 times
Quote:
But of course if what some are saying is true - that it's all about fracking
in East Ukraine by American companies, then the less people is there the better,
for the glory of "independent from Russia" "New Ukraine." ( lol )
Well I can't imagine Western co's will go in there drilling, spilling, digging etc etc the whole place upside down now while everybody's getting blown up. Kind of dopey.

I'm not excatly sure how Ukraine wants to integrate with the EU on eco matters but I've always thought it would be better for them to focus on the matter of technology rather than always looking how much dirt they want to muck up and sell the stuff coming out.

Which leads me to disagree with the greysholic. I think Ukraine's move to look to the West on a part of economic matters positions the country for the 21st century. I believe their great intelectual capital could be used much better. If planned correctly the Ukrainian qulaity of life could be improved. Just don't know what Russia can offer. Oh they're big on the natural resources bit but that can't be enough. And anyway what we've seen in the last few months doesn't appear to see Russia seeing her neighbor succeed especially especially if she sees her future to the West. The fox so likes it in the henhouse.

Old 06-28-2014, 08:51 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,797,212 times
It seems it's completely impossible to find any common ground here, but a few quick points for those who are only exposed to the Russian media:

1) Europe, or the EU isn't against Russia. Though I agree Russia could've been respected more in the 90's, simply the Cold War mentality doesn't exist here anymore, and there's hardly anyone who want that situation to return.

2) The EU is not an unitary entity, and can't be a threat to anyone. Why? Simply because it's formed by 28 different nations who all have their own foreign policies. For example Finland and Portugal have very different foreign policies regarding Russia. Secondly, as being 28 nations, the EU don't have the muscle to be against anyone, or make any kind of aims to "destroy Russia" or anything like that.

3) 90% of Europe has a painful past regarding fascism, and would never ever support a fascist dictatorship, junta, or other similarities anywhere in Europe. Not in Ukraine or anywhere else. For example the foreign minister of Finland Erkki Tuomioja (who is a social democrat and openly anti-American) warned already in December that not all of those Maidanists are on the democratic cause. The political party Svoboda has been analysed very thoroughly. And I know this was made in many other countries as well. Svoboda is probably as analysed as Sverigedemokraterna, UKIP or Front National, and that is a lot.

A long story short, the mentality in Russia seems that "we rediscovered the geopolitical reality of 1979 and decided to cherish that idea. Europe = bad, POCCNR = good and always the victim".

Old 06-28-2014, 01:47 PM

235 posts, read 211,064 times
Default These addicts bothered...

On June 27 on a Maidan I passed meeting on the occasion of signing of the agreement on Asotsiation with EU. Acting on it the director of Institute of national memory Vladimir Vyatrovich declared:

"Old Europe" hit in marasmus and is obliged to go for the sake of the European Ukrainian people for possible confrontation with Russia, fraught for the European Union serious consequences. We as the European people, we have now the right to remind Europeans that it is necessary to pay for the European values.
"Really, especially so-called "old Europe" looks, probably, the madwoman, lost mind and hit in marasmus because advises us to invite to Medvedchuk's negotiations, signs any agreements on South Stream and France is ready, for example, to sell to Russia the military ships which can be used against us"
To you, representatives of the European states, for upholding of the European values it is necessary to pay, probably, certain conflicts to the Russian Federation. Probably, it is necessary to pay reduction of the markets and increase in unemployment which will be connected with introduction of sanctions against Russia. But we, Ukrainians, have the right to demand from you it because we paid for these European values the lives on this place".

P.S. I become grudge Europe as it will be overflowed soon by streams such here addicts.

Old 06-28-2014, 03:37 PM

Default Comparative analysis of slogans of Ukraine and fascist Germany

Ukraine 2014 ► Germany 1933

Ukraine above all ► Deutschland Uber Alles
Glory to Ukraine - heroes glory! ► Heil Hitler - Sieg Heil
Subhumans (A.Yatsenyuk) ► Untermensch
One language, one nation, one country ► Ein Volk, ein Reich,ein Führer.

P.S. And Ukrainians think that they have not a fascist state

Old 06-28-2014, 04:04 PM

4,449 posts, read 4,615,477 times
I saw that Ukraine signed a free trade agreement it has 'angered' the Kremlin. As noted the EU is not 'against' Russia. Witness the fact that they have no intent on bringing into NATO Ukraine and two other states. Signing the agreement was also important than it was a signal that they are independent of other states' behavior to form and direct its national interests.

Old 06-28-2014, 06:42 PM

1,704 posts, read 1,836,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzes55 View Post
Ukraine 2014 ► Germany 1933

Ukraine above all ► Deutschland Uber Alles
Glory to Ukraine - heroes glory! ► Heil Hitler - Sieg Heil
Subhumans (A.Yatsenyuk) ► Untermensch
One language, one nation, one country ► Ein Volk, ein Reich,ein Führer.

P.S. And Ukrainians think that they have not a fascist state

Old 06-29-2014, 02:47 AM

2,973 posts, read 1,973,370 times

Looks like the Russian Ruble is being tossed away very quickly!
Yuan surges up currency rankings | South China Morning Post

Old 06-29-2014, 03:41 AM

For KuuKulgur.

Unsuccessful example. On holding of the Olympic games dreamed it all.)))

You are angry because Estonia it is not given. NEVER.

Old 06-29-2014, 03:50 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,342,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzes55 View Post
For KuuKulgur.

Unsuccessful example. On holding of the Olympic games dreamed it all.)))

You are angry because Estonia it is not given. NEVER.
Yeah, he is probably just jealous about the massive corruption and debt that came with it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe