Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2014, 08:32 AM

26,773 posts, read 22,521,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
In my estmation the longer this conflict continues the more the ball will be in Russia's court to direct events. Mr. Putin has strongly said he will 'protect' those Russian-speaking population taking into account political, economic and 'self-defense' means. Question is we know has 'popularity' at home but will he send troops. That's the kicker. People will have to make decisions if he does. I hope they don't lose the plot in the sesne that Ukraine not only has to fight separattist but the Russian army. Russia got away without violence in the Crimea annexation. For sure the stakes are higher now.
Will Putin do it? The 20,000, 000 ruble question.
Hey, Putin can offer the same kind of "peace plan" now to Ukrainian troops as Poroshenko offered to Donbass; put down your arms, surrender, and there will be peace.
That's being said, I've pointed already some time ago that those *rebels* in East Ukraine are left-minded people; how this would sit with the current Russian establishment that's all about money ( NOT Soviet Union) is a big question.
Ironically enough, now East Ukrainians are more advanced in their ideas of what they want to achieve as the society nationalizing local oligarch's wealth ( I am talking about Akchmetov dude), comparably to Maidan people, (represented mostly by West/Central Ukraine that was fighting against poverty and corruption, and ended up with oligarchs in charge.)
Another thing Strelkov has mentioned recently interestingly enough, is that he suspects that Poroshenko and Co are trying to get rid of as many" Maidan self-defence" commanders ( "sotniks" as they are called) as possible, since a lot of them are sent now to the "Eastern front," where they are killed in droves.
In other news, there was some protest on Maidan recently organized against the foreign loans and banks in general with their exorbitant interests.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8rXlr7uig4#t=38

But yes, I agree with you here that the ball will be increasingly in Putin's court and he will have to think twice about the public opinion on domestic front this time around, as much as his financial interests and pressure that the West is putting on him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2014, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
59% (OK 60%) of Russians support the insurgents? underwhelming. I thouht 90% of the Russians were on their side.
No, from everything I see/read on-line, 65 % sounds about right.
There are others of course who are against the "separatists" because they consider them to be purely Putin's proteges, and obviously there are anti-Putin people out there. Some dislike the separatists because they are precisely that - the "left wing," the "blue color" people ( the poster "Moscovite" here for example expressed this opinion,) and some think that if joined with Russia, East Ukraine would be a financial burden as Crimea is. And some of course are simply apolitical and don't give a damn about anything at all.

Quote:
I believe unfortunately Russia is not immune (although to a lesser extent) of the West disease (individualism, lack of patriotism, consumerism).
A lot of these people came to power in the nineties and are still in Putin's circles, while pretending to be the "patriots" and all. To me they represent the worst part of Russians, while the best part of them is not represented at all.
Overall when it comes to serving the "golden calf," Russians can be the most dangerous throw-cutting thugs of them all in the Christendom; the Russian classical literature gives clues to it, and Dostoeyvsky himself ( whom Rusisans consider to be one of their prophets) left a warning, saying that "If a Russian starts worshiping a golden calf, he is worse than any Jew." ( Not the exact translation, but pretty close.)

Quote:
If 80-90% of the Russian people had solidarity feelings with the Donbass, I'm sur WP would have intervened in Novo Rossyia.
I don't think that 80-90% of Russians could agree now on anything, lest East Ukraine)))))

Last edited by erasure; 07-02-2014 at 09:01 AM..

Old 07-02-2014, 09:11 AM

More air bombardment, more destruction and dead civilians in East Ukraine today...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiNf8N41mLo#t=300

( No surprise that East Ukrainians refer to the new government in Kiev as "fascists...")

Old 07-02-2014, 10:11 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,792,350 times
On a completely different note, how is the Russian f-word spelled? Isn't it the one that's pronounced something like 'blääeh'?

Old 07-02-2014, 11:52 AM

5,786 posts, read 4,227,242 times
It's awful. Dozens of civilians killed in two days.

Old 07-02-2014, 12:00 PM

Likely to civilians killed over the last two days several hundred.

Old 07-02-2014, 12:15 PM

Why the UN is silent? Why give kill tens and hundreds people???

Old 07-02-2014, 12:35 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,792,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post
Why the UN is silent? Why give kill tens and hundreds people???
What should the UN say? Everyone knows how a conflict goes. Heck, collapsed buildings killed 20 in India a few days ago, 334 were killed in the Beslan school crisis, why should the CParatists be given some special treatment? Because they speak Russian?

Stuff happens, people die. The separatists started the bloodshead themselves by separating.

Old 07-02-2014, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
What should the UN say? Everyone knows how a conflict goes. Heck, collapsed buildings killed 20 in India a few days ago, 334 were killed in the Beslan school crisis, why should the CParatists be given some special treatment? Because they speak Russian?

Stuff happens, people die. The separatists started the bloodshead themselves by separating.
They have found something to say about Kosovo.

Old 07-02-2014, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
More air bombardment, more destruction and dead civilians in East Ukraine today...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiNf8N41mLo#t=300

( No surprise that East Ukrainians refer to the new government in Kiev as "fascists...")
6:20

Local resident: Who are you?
- Journalist.
- Which?
- From Russia.
- Russia? Why Putin is silent? I thought he have balls.
- I do not know. I feel ashamed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe