Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2014, 04:04 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,797,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post
This is a blatant lie. If Russian want to destroy you - destroyed, there were plenty of opportunities. Enough already whining about past wars, they are long gone. You also killed Russian. By the way, yesterday the president of the Czech Republic spoke about the possibility of abolishing visas with Russia.
No, it isn't. The Kremlin issued in 1899 that the Polish and Finnish cultures have to be destroyed for the stability of the border areas. In reality these measures were to destroy completely what was by Alexander I promised originally in 1809:

- the right to rule for ourselves except foreign policy
- only our own laws
- no threat to the Finnish and Swedish languages
- no draft into the Russian military
- no enforcing of serfdom (in Russia until 1861)
- no enforcing of the Orthodox religion

All these promises and many more were broken, and thus Russia lost its legitimacy to rule over Finland. The ultimate goal of the slavophile faction at that time was to destroy all minorities within the empire, especially in the "sensitive" areas which were Poland and Finland.

If you don't know, Finland issued a general strike against Russia in 1905, due to the russification policy and the forced draft (which never happened) in the Russo-Japanese war. After that it was just a matter of time.

Fun fact: In 1809 Jews were given for the first time the right to settle down in Finland, as under the Swedish Empire it was completely forbidden. Finland also has the oldest state-recognised Muslim minority in Western Europe, as some Crimean and Donbass Tatars were allowed to settle here.

Last edited by Ariete; 06-25-2014 at 04:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2014, 08:00 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,615,477 times
Re: the refugees by the border..

Where are they going? Are they going to Russia? Nothing like de-populating an area. Instead of people I see a parking lot of 'metal' perhaps??? And frankly it makes it easier for a power to put in troops and not worry about 'civilian' issues.

Old 06-25-2014, 08:16 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,807,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post

Where are they going? Are they going to Russia? Nothing like de-populating an area. Instead of people I see a parking lot of 'metal' perhaps??? And frankly it makes it easier for a power to put in troops and not worry about 'civilian' issues.
About every conflict has refugees of some sort; these are going to Russia. They are settling in the Rostov Oblast, but Rostov says they are getting full so they are transporting them to other oblasts as well.

Reasons vary from fear, to having more relational attachments in Russia anyway. No one knows how long this is going to last, so probably a lot of apathetic people going; and why not to other parts of Ukraine? I have no idea if they are or are not, have not seen anything that would confirm either, but I do know that there is a lot of unsettling feelings in many areas of Ukraine, especially central/Dnepropetrovsk/Odessa areas with this whole Kiev thing and the conflict in the east, either driven by fact, rumors, combination of.

Old 06-25-2014, 11:58 AM

84 posts, read 87,529 times
Default People of Slavjansk in vyshivankas

"Vyshivanka" is a national Ukrainian clothes. This is an embroidered shirt.
The Ukrainian town Slavjansk won the Ukrainian competition in vyshivankas in 2013.
Now the town is occupied by separatists.

Can we suppose that Ukraine would leave the remarkable town and its citizens?

Old 06-25-2014, 07:01 PM

4,449 posts, read 4,615,477 times
I don't know. Maybe things could have eased up a bit but now I read separatists shot down a helicopter. 9 are dead. Apparently some separatists have agreed to the cease fire but others haven't. Curious as to how Mr. Putin views this. From his intentions, he appears to want to 'create the conditions for this peace process'.

Old 06-25-2014, 08:05 PM

26,777 posts, read 22,529,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post

"A lot of metal?"

Lets' see here...
( I usually go by the Youtube, because anyone can say anything, so until I see it to believe it - ..)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HL9M9TYmRBM

So this is official Russian channel and here they are talking about 400,000 Ukrainian refugees in Russia. ( I can't confirm the numbers, really - only international organizations can, but they for some strange reason or the other not doing their job may be?) Meanwhile in the US - Jen Psaki still can't figure out, apparently who runs where and needs some cues during the latest briefing in Washington last Friday;
So here she goes; "And regarding refugees numbers, I've got acquainted with the numbers of refugees running from Russia ( a journalists from audience correcting her; "not FROM Russia, but TO Russia from Ukraine..)
Psaki, "yes TO Russia from Ukraine, sorry - and although Russia is stating that there are already hundred thousands of refugees, we prefer to rely on data provided by Ukrainian border patrol and international organizations that don't confirm it. "
Russian anchorman; "What's far away from the US is very close to Russia. More than that, although officially the refugees from Ukraine are "foreigners," but we all understand that those are our people; it's our children and it's our elderly. And it's as if the words of Alexander Solzhenitsin were directed at us; "Under any circumstances Russia shouldn't dare to betray with indifference multi-million Russian population of Ukraine; to disavow our unity with them."
What comes next - is broadcasting from Rostov region.
Ukrainian refugees are running from shelling of Ukrainian army already on the RUSSIAN TERRITORY.
Correspondent; "Everything happened very unexpectedly; our TV crew is working in Novoshakhinskaya custom control, that has been shelled by Ukrainian army on Friday.
People were crowded near the custom service with children strollers luggage and all, and that's when the shelling occurred, so they have to run yet again to safety.
Correspondent; "The shelling began yet again a minute ago; the explosions are heard 300-400 meters away; people are running; they are evacuated in emergency; until finally they can stop and catch their breath. All of a sudden a feeling come that it doesn't matter whether you are a Russian or a Ukrainian - you are safe. But it is not quite so.
People are at loss; where should they go, when all their belongings are still behind the border line.
( some of them are showing that their infants don't even have clothes on them - everything was left at the custom counter ( on Ukrainian site I assume, when the shelling began)
Correspondent asks a woman "Where have you been when it all happened?"
-At passport control. We were turning our passports in, when the shooting started, so our border patrol.. sorry I can't talk any more, I have to keep on moving...
( 3:26)The shooting stopped and the fear gave place to desperation; "So we came here, yet we still have to run... I have a handicapped and a small child with me, and we have to keep on running...
3:42. Custom point Donetsk-Isvarino; Here people are not running, they walk slowly, because they are already too exhausted;
3:44 The old man is responding to a correspondent with one word; "The war."
3;50. A family from Makarovo village; the village has been bombed, they were sitting in the cellar, as soon as the shelling stopped, they've escaped;
"We were living there for a week with no light, no water, no bread - nothing, all deliveries stopped, we had nothing - those bastards, they've got to us... (sobbing) Why are you all keeping silence here? Why are you afraid to say anything to these bastards?
4:05; A women standing next to her; "There were no fighters there, no fighters, they were simply shooting at the houses. "
The first women; "Yes, they - the ones who "protect us," supposedly - they are the very same ones who are killing us... for no reason."
4:12; Yuri took his wife and run, after all the bombing; although they were procrastinating up to the last moment. They've thrown in their bags what they could and run; the woman got ill during the trip, but she was still willing to talk to correspondents so "that everyone could hear what she had to say; please show us on TV more often; there are still a lot of people left behind there, a lot of children; they all asked us to talk on public more often about them.."
4;34; Refugee camp "Gukovo" "A young family from Slavyansk that lost everything, but managed to save their three young children;
"Out town is no more, it's destroyed, out house has been burned to the ground by a shell"
"So whatever we've had on our backs - we've got up and left - we didn't have any options..
"No, we did not have any other options; they are sweeping the dead bodies in the ditches by tractors over there.."
"The national guard is destroying the houses and killing people over there- they are cleansing the territory.. They don't want anyone there - that's my personal opinion."
Correspondent; "So you are saying "cleansing," and you are not the only one, I hear it from other people here too..
What does it mean, what's the reason for this "cleansing" - what's the purpose in your opinion?
"Shale gas... They say there are biggest deposits in Europe of shale gas there..."
5:04; This is refugees camp and an old woman who already went through the WWII is talking. ( She is from Metalist town, near infamous "Shastie", where there was particularly brutal attack of Ukrainian nationalists recently from what I remember. ) I don't understand her quite well - she speaks the dialect that both older Ukrainians and Southern Russians are speaking.)
5: 43; The arrival of a dignitary - with kind eyes and a smile - the representative of the UN has arrived to the refugee camp, to check on the humanitarian disaster - whether it's really taking place.
He let people know right away that he has nothing to do with politics, he is here to help, but right away he hears what he didn't expect; "Help to those who are left behind, who are still sitting in cellars, who are bombed, who are dying there without any help and hope.
The UN official; "Our commissar.. he doesn't deal with politics, he deals with humanitarian disasters only.."
6:49 Woman in response to him; "Did you come here to help us or just to chat? "
The voice from audience: "What's the real purpose of your visit?"
6:24; Woman with the microphone; "May be you personally can't do it, but someone else can... Why no international organizations condemned the air strikes? "
Some refugees are leaving the meeting; the correspondent; "They don't trust these people with "kind eyes and smiles," while he war is going on in their country."
6:44; "There are people dying over there, and they've arrived to help US HERE, with their "humanitarian help."

And now back to "beautiful Ukrainian shirts with embroideries..."

Last edited by erasure; 06-25-2014 at 08:52 PM..

Old 06-25-2014, 08:24 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,807,837 times
There is a great website now; antiseparatists.com.ua. Outstanding stuff, they posting pics of people who are against Kiev, they scan social media and see if they mentioned something negative about Kiev. Just the tip of the iceberg in my opinion, I am sure if/when Kiev wins, they will ruthlessly seek out everyone who opposed Kiev even the slightest.

The cease fire is a joke, constant firing going on, while the separatists may not have control over everyone, Kiev does not either, especially there open use of paramilitary units (like the psychopath Lyashko) who do not care about any thing like cease fires. While the separatist may/may not be in the right, Kiev sure is not going out of their way to make friends of anyone in the east.

Old 06-25-2014, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
No, it isn't. The Kremlin issued in 1899 that the Polish and Finnish cultures have to be destroyed for the stability of the border areas. In reality these measures were to destroy completely what was by Alexander I promised originally in 1809:

- the right to rule for ourselves except foreign policy
- only our own laws
- no threat to the Finnish and Swedish languages
- no draft into the Russian military
- no enforcing of serfdom (in Russia until 1861)
- no enforcing of the Orthodox religion

All these promises and many more were broken, and thus Russia lost its legitimacy to rule over Finland. The ultimate goal of the slavophile faction at that time was to destroy all minorities within the empire, especially in the "sensitive" areas which were Poland and Finland.

If you don't know, Finland issued a general strike against Russia in 1905, due to the russification policy and the forced draft (which never happened) in the Russo-Japanese war. After that it was just a matter of time.

Fun fact: In 1809 Jews were given for the first time the right to settle down in Finland, as under the Swedish Empire it was completely forbidden. Finland also has the oldest state-recognised Muslim minority in Western Europe, as some Crimean and Donbass Tatars were allowed to settle here.
Yeah, yeah, yeah...
Russia has been planning to "exterminate all the minorities - to wipe out their language, culture, population" - you name it, for quite some time already, like few centuries or so. The native people, the Finns, the Tatars, the Chechens and so on.
Yet amazingly enough everyone is still around, still speak their language and even still reside on their territories.
So go figure.

Old 06-25-2014, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
There is a great website now; antiseparatists.com.ua. Outstanding stuff, they posting pics of people who are against Kiev, they scan social media and see if they mentioned something negative about Kiev. Just the tip of the iceberg in my opinion, I am sure if/when Kiev wins, they will ruthlessly seek out everyone who opposed Kiev even the slightest.
I should be on their list then by now; I wanted to check on my name there, but their site is already bombed, apparently...

Quote:
The cease fire is a joke, constant firing going on, while the separatists may not have control over everyone, Kiev does not either, especially there open use of paramilitary units (like the psychopath Lyashko) who do not care about any thing like cease fires. While the separatist may/may not be in the right, Kiev sure is not going out of their way to make friends of anyone in the east.
...And when they do, it makes matters only worse, apparently.

Here Poroshenko gives his "personal word" about a cease fire in Slavyansk, and just when a happy woman is planning to make a call to her relatives that they can get out of a cellar and get at least some water, Avakov ( who stands behind Poroshenko) informs her that it were the "separatists" who were shelling the city all this time from the mount Karachun. The poor woman is at loss of words from such blatant lie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWS03sT26Bo

Last edited by erasure; 06-25-2014 at 09:53 PM..

Old 06-25-2014, 10:17 PM

5,786 posts, read 4,228,964 times
Quote:
The Kremlin issued in 1899 that the Polish and Finnish cultures have to be destroyed for the stability of the border areas.
Sorry, I misunderstood the word "destroy" in your last post.

Quote:
The ultimate goal of the slavophile faction at that time was to destroy all minorities within the empire, especially in the "sensitive" areas which were Poland and Finland.
I think that this situation is similar to what is happening in the Donbass? Or not?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe