Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2014, 11:50 AM

26,783 posts, read 22,537,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Is there anyone here who will not eat Roshen candy? I ate some a few months ago and thought it was mighty tasty. I would buy some if it were available here.
I think I've tried some ( my mother sent them to me) but I have no any outstanding memories - none whatsoever. I've read a piece in some publication ( British or American - I don't remember now) on Roshen's candies, how "horrible" the quality of Soviet candies were and how Poroshenko has "figured it all out." ( i.e. how to produce "high quality chocolate candies" comparably to Soviet times.
Total BS. Soviet-made chocolate ( and chocolate candies) were one of the best ( certain brands of them,) - much better than what American Hershey's ever produced, it's just during the last Soviet years their quality went down the tube, apparently ( that's if they could be found in the stores at all.)
Now German-made chocolate is excellent, but as for Roshen candies? Not all that impressive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2014, 12:02 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,810,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Is there anyone here who will not eat Roshen candy? I ate some a few months ago and thought it was mighty tasty. I would buy some if it were available here.
I will continue eating Roshen candy, it is about the only candy I eat. Politics aside, Roshen employees many people, someone thinking they are damaging Petro by boycotting is actually damaging the thousands of employees who would lose their jobs.

Where do you live? Roshen candy is available in many places in the US, about every Russian store will have them.

Old 06-05-2014, 12:04 PM

5,452 posts, read 11,248,929 times
I feel sorry for people like Wayne Gretsky who can't go back east and fight for their Ukrainian agenda.

Old 06-05-2014, 12:06 PM

4,449 posts, read 4,616,150 times
erasure...Just my take once again on this 'hawk' perusing a very dismal state of affairs.

Money yes it's a big thing. But I suggest another calculus in that Russian mind who is minding the store. That aspect is wily maneuver with testing and probing of reactions. All going on to fashion and gauge response to disorder and a move away from say 'normative' situations. What we see now in Ukraine is a slow dismantling of attitudes and behavior that do not help a society function appropriately. It is now being racked from top to bottom.

No wonder the Baltics and some Eastern European countries fear this sequence of events. I'm afraid Mr. Putin's abject land grab has awakened them overnight as to how a scenic view from night to dawn can change in an instant. It can get real cloudy really quick now in the early 21st.
And it will be to history to chime in and note that it was here and now in this time of our century that WWIII had its beginnings due to one nation's illegal swipe of territory. Maybe the Crimea will indeed prove definitively to be Europe's and the world's undoing.

Old 06-05-2014, 12:09 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,810,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
I think I've tried some ( my mother sent them to me) but I have no any outstanding memories - none whatsoever. I've read a piece in some publication ( British or American - I don't remember now) on Roshen's candies, how "horrible" the quality of Soviet candies were and how Poroshenko has "figured it all out." ( i.e. how to produce "high quality chocolate candies" comparably to Soviet times.
Total BS. Soviet-made chocolate ( and chocolate candies) were one of the best ( certain brands of them,) - much better than what American Hershey's ever produced, it's just during the last Soviet years their quality went down the tube, apparently ( that's if they could be found in the stores at all.)
Now German-made chocolate is excellent, but as for Roshen candies? Not all that impressive.
My only experience with Soviet chocolate is after the USSR, but those in the know tell me the ones the ones they say still taste the same (I guess during the quality years) and I agree it is darn good, much better than Hershey's, which is among some of the worse chocolate out there. The packaging itself makes the chocolate a nice gift accessory.

Roshen candy in my opinion is pretty good, they make more than plain chocolate, I like the things with caramel or other flavors in them. There are actually a few companies that make good stuff from Ukraine, Poland, Russia, Lithuanian, and a few others.

Old 06-05-2014, 12:14 PM

5,786 posts, read 4,230,293 times
In Kostyantynivka wound up tank, which was a monument to World War II.

Old 06-05-2014, 12:20 PM

26,783 posts, read 22,537,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post
In Kostyantynivka wound up tank, which was a monument to World War II.

Yeah, I read now that *the rebels* are using a lot of ammunition from the WWII times. (Apparently that's all Russia supplies them with.)
And it looks like they've taken over the border with Russia in Lugansk region. The Ukrainian Army units keep on leaving the area, with no desire to fight.
Meanwhile, Obama keeps on threatening Putin with the "new economic sanctions."
Peachy.

Old 06-05-2014, 01:22 PM

5,786 posts, read 4,230,293 times
Quote:
Most likely the main objective - is to enter NATO forces in Ukraine. A new government continues the military operation instead of negotiating, killing women and children. Most Russians understands this, but a lot of hotheads require that Putin began to assist the Russian-speaking population of Ukraine. For example (russian language):

Old 06-05-2014, 01:28 PM

5,452 posts, read 11,248,929 times
Quote:
Peachy.
Well, those sanctions are not working. Hartwall Arena in Helsinki is owned by a filthy rich russian biz man. And a few days ago Aerosmith and Miley Cyrus performed at that arena. And more american stars are booked.

Old 06-06-2014, 01:56 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,871,739 times
killing women and children

KUDOS to you Maxim Frolov, for saying loud and clear the truth that no western government ant to hear.
Women and children (and the elderly and the sick) are killed in the name of "democracy and human rights" again.
There is even talk of humanitarian corridors now.
Murderous, criminal west. As a western european citizen, I feel deeply ashamed of myself for doing nothing against that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe