Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2014, 12:08 AM

26,783 posts, read 22,537,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
I am sure there are some statues of Lenin and Stalin across other parts of the former Soviet Union. Have any Russians "taken responsibility for the atrocities that were committed during World War Two"?
There are no "Stalin's statues" in Russia - they've been all removed long time ago, just in case you don't know, already back in Khrushev's time, after the "de-stalinization" of the country.

De-Stalinization - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Lenin has got nothing to do with the World War Two; his statues can be still seeing here and there in Russia I'm pretty sure, but I haven't seen as many as in Eastern Ukraine now, which surprised me a big deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2014, 12:29 AM

I looked up her biography and the fact that she left Soviet Union back in the 1980 with her parents, made me think right away that she was from Jewish family.
Sorry, I usually take it with grain of salt, what former Soviet Jews write about Russia while living in the US, particularly when they make career in politics.
That's not because I am anti-Semitic; there are gazillion of Jews in Russia - the doctors, the pedagogs, the musicians, poets, actors, scientists and so on, who contributed to the country a great deal, and I consider people to be idiots if they deny/do not acknowledge it, but I am aware of the other side of it as well - that a lot of Jews who emigrated from the Soviet Union, see Russia first and utmost through the prism of "their suffering."

Old 06-03-2014, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
I'd be curious. Any pieces done by Rossiya or Ukraine itself on the position the Ukrainian army finds itself in the face of 'separatist' violence within the country? Any news outlet in Rossiya discussing this for example?
Such subject probably requires professional journalism, which I don't see either on Russian or Ukrainian sites. Too much worthless propaganda from both, and American propaganda is trailing not far behind.

Old 06-03-2014, 04:34 AM

9,361 posts, read 14,304,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Such subject probably requires professional journalism, which I don't see either on Russian or Ukrainian sites. Too much worthless propaganda from both, and American propaganda is trailing not far behind.
Back to reality on the ground just for a split second here, it occurred to me - just guessing now - that perhaps the Russians have already extracted - or are in the process of extracting - from eastern Ukrainian military industrial facilities whatever movable materials and personnel they consider strategic and will retool and re-staff on Russian territory (humanitarian corridor), while Ukrainian/European gas supply renegotiations reach an advanced stage and the China deal sets in, though maintaining the possibility if necessary of more indirect intervention via the separatists who, at the moment, seem to be taking a shellacking.

Otherwise it seems hard to understand why the Russians wouldn't try to help defend them with heavier weapons, matching western support for the Ukrainian armed forces who all of a sudden seem to have become semi-sophisticated and aggressive after several visits from high level western politicians and military advisors.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by bale002; 06-03-2014 at 05:28 AM..

Old 06-03-2014, 04:42 AM

1,028 posts, read 1,121,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_from_europe View Post
We all know that operations against gangsters and rebels are carried out using force and weapon. You aren't astonished that a policeman has a gun and uses it if it is necessary, aren't you?

And I can tell about some recent adventures of the rebels (2 June).

The storm of the main police department of the city Shachty (Donetsk region).

The terrorists set mines at the territory of some factories in Slavjansk.

The separatists attack the detachment of border guards in Lugansk. The fight has begun in the morning and continues all day long. The terrorists have destroyed the command checkpoint, some buildings and garages. The rebels hide in the multi-storey buildings not to have been killed by soldiers.

There aren't photos from Lugansk now. But this is how it looks in Slavjansk.
If this operation is against "gangsters" then why civilians died?

Old 06-03-2014, 05:45 AM

1,863 posts, read 5,149,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atai J. View Post
If this operation is against "gangsters" then why civilians died?
Because this is what these punks are doing:

"...then the militants changed positions and began to shoot from inside nearby buildings where local people live, Slobodyan said, adding that the attackers weren't letting residents out of their homes."

Hundreds of militants attack border guard base in Ukraine's Luhansk - CNN.com

Old 06-03-2014, 08:41 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,616,150 times
Quote:
Otherwise it seems hard to understand why the Russians wouldn't try to help
defend them with heavier weapons, matching western support for the Ukrainian
armed forces who all of a sudden seem to have become semi-sophisticated and
aggressive after several visits from high level western politicians and military
advisors.
Any thoughts?
You know i thoight it interesting that when focusing on the Ukrainian Army and their 'defense' of their territory i just picked up the fact that they really haven't gotten 'all-in' so to speak to deal with the separatists. It does seem that with whatever they have there now it deals with the 'problem'. Question is will that sitaution be static enough so the whole thing doesn'tr completely go out of control. Frankly, if the separatists get more 'organized' and get more powerful materiel Ukraine would have to make some difficult decisions relating to its army .Decisions that I think would give
an edge to the separatists in that if the Ukrainian army comes in with more firepower they could argue Ukraine is killing its 'own' people who find themselves in that bad situation. That's a reason I think the Ukraine government is aware of and is affecting their response there in the East. Just my take.

Old 06-03-2014, 09:16 AM

9,361 posts, read 14,304,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
You know i thoight it interesting that when focusing on the Ukrainian Army and their 'defense' of their territory i just picked up the fact that they really haven't gotten 'all-in' so to speak to deal with the separatists. It does seem that with whatever they have there now it deals with the 'problem'. Question is will that sitaution be static enough so the whole thing doesn'tr completely go out of control. Frankly, if the separatists get more 'organized' and get more powerful materiel Ukraine would have to make some difficult decisions relating to its army .Decisions that I think would give
an edge to the separatists in that if the Ukrainian army comes in with more firepower they could argue Ukraine is killing its 'own' people who find themselves in that bad situation. That's a reason I think the Ukraine government is aware of and is affecting their response there in the East. Just my take.
No doubt public opinion is a major factor, but my impression is that only occasionally in such power conflicts is it the deciding factor. It seems that both sides are probing each other with respect to how much military violence they are willing to use, at the moment the west/Ukraine has upped the ante, perhaps mitigated by an impending gas price deal. We will see with what combination of business negotiations/military violence the Russians/separatists are willing to employ.

Thanks for taking a stab at it. Would love to read erasure's take on this.

Old 06-03-2014, 09:40 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
I am sure there are some statues of Lenin and Stalin across other parts of the former Soviet Union. Have any Russians "taken responsibility for the atrocities that were committed during World War Two"?
There are no statues of Stalin, the last one was in Gori, Georgia, which they took down in 2010.

There are statues of Lenin in many former Soviet republics. Many places deem them as of historical significance despite the ideology behind it, kind of like how in the US there are Confederate memorials despite the CSA being against the US.

Why are Russians only responsible for WW2? All of the USSR were parties to WW2, not just Russians, who were actually being led by a non-Russian at the time.

Old 06-03-2014, 09:43 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingwiththewind View Post
Because this is what these punks are doing:

"...then the militants changed positions and began to shoot from inside nearby buildings where local people live, Slobodyan said, adding that the attackers weren't letting residents out of their homes."

Hundreds of militants attack border guard base in Ukraine's Luhansk - CNN.com
I am waiting on the western media to report the random firing of artillery by Kiev into civilian areas, but I will not hold my breath on that one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe