Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2014, 01:20 AM

235 posts, read 210,985 times

Advertisements

Let's start a real Ukrainian debate | Václav Klaus
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2014, 11:26 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,614,742 times
Very insightful report from Mr. Klaus. It is ev-ident that he believes the Russian/Ukrainian crisis is dangerous and has great implications for the stability of Europe and for Czechoslovakia.

But from his analysis, it appears he sees no solution at this point to the crisis. All he sees now from his perch is Ukraine's sldie into 'disintegration'. A not very optimistic scenario. I'm sure it comes from his skepticism on both Eastern and Western attitudes to the conflict.

But there I think he 'sides' more with looking at events through those close, historical ties between the two countries. Fair enough. Only thing with that is it appears to me a complete failure in the sense that Ukraine never got its foot off the ground politkically or economically with that 'brotherly' relationship. How does he think that can be solved now after all the previous years? That relationship apparently has fallen into a quagmire in the modern world of national aspirations. That Russian relationship now has cracks. Some want a different way.

I differ greatly with Mr. Klaus' concern that Mr. Putin is vilified as 'bogey man' in all this. But of course he is. Sadly, Mr. Putin's continual drumming mantra to the Russian populace of 'strength', 'honor', 'struggle' and 'resistance' in this crisis only adds more propaganda to the fire between those who live in the two countries. Mr. Putin right now sees the raging conflict. But he is no 'fireman'. I think we can see that. From the looks of it he'd rather have the ethnic hatred rage. I'm afraid 'peace' is not his vocabulary.

I know Mr. Klaus and his country as well as others are now caught in this firetrap. I don't know how he's going to navigate the crisis but when one reads his writing he's scared of the risks. But I do hope he has other 'can-do' items in his bag to meet this challenge. If he has he isn't sharing. Maybe he doesn't want to really wind up the bogey-man?

Old 06-01-2014, 12:09 PM

84 posts, read 87,508 times
Default One day of an Ukrainian soldier on the hill Karachun near Slavjansk

Artem Shevchenko©

Ukrainians recruit battalions and they go to the East of the country to serve and protect. The politicians of Ukraine are sure that they have to debate only with civilized and peaceful speakers.

Last edited by mike_from_europe; 06-01-2014 at 12:22 PM..

Old 06-01-2014, 06:59 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_from_europe View Post
Artem Shevchenko©

Ukrainians recruit battalions and they go to the East of the country to serve and protect. The politicians of Ukraine are sure that they have to debate only with civilized and peaceful speakers.
Except for of course they have a lack of food and living conditions, force people even over the age of 50 to join "not longer for 30 days" but are there for much longer now (a relative of mine), coercion against those who want know par tin it including the threatening of their jobs and livelihood (because despite the media, many do not want no part in this), etc.

Oh yes, and the fact of sending the military against civilians, great idea there.

Old 06-01-2014, 11:20 PM

3,261 posts, read 3,703,829 times
The pro Russian rebels fired the first shots in this conflict. Ukraine belongs to the Ukrainians not the Russians, and as such they have the right to protect their country from Russian backed killers.

Old 06-02-2014, 07:31 AM

26,778 posts, read 22,521,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albion View Post
The pro Russian rebels fired the first shots in this conflict.
No they did not. It were Western-Ukrainian ultra-nationalists who took the arms - the East Ukrainians had to respond. During the Orange revolution back in 2004 the ultra-nationalists didn't play any militant role in the government take-over, so the East was not "firing shots" as well.

Quote:
Ukraine belongs to the Ukrainians not the Russians,
You mean "used to belong" up until now, like, say Crimea used to belong to Russia, then to Ukraine and back. Nothing new in history in those lands you know, since "who is who" there is quite questionable.

"Don Cossacks (Russian: Донские казаки) were Cossacks who settled along the middle and lower Don. Historically, they were located within what was the Don Cossack Host (Russian: Всевеликое Войско Донское, Vsevelikoye Voysko Donskoye), which was either an independent or an autonomous democratic republic in the present day Southern Russia and the Donbas region of Ukraine, from the end of the 16th until the early 20th century.
Don Cossacks have had a rich military tradition, playing an important part in the historical development of the Russian Empire and participating in all of its major wars."

Don Cossacks - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

(Just a glimpse back in history for you )

Old 06-02-2014, 08:20 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,868,743 times
So basically the ukrainian troops and their various helpers (republican guards, Pravyi sector thugs, Blackwater mercenaries, etc) are shooting the East ukrainian population like rabbits, and all the pro Kiev crowd is able to say is " the important is to know IF there are Russians (from over the border) among the Donetsk militia". That's the big question for them, the death of countless innocent is not worth a headline, same thing as in Odessa.

Old 06-02-2014, 09:16 AM

1,028 posts, read 1,121,351 times
Antiterrorist operation? No, it's terrorist operation.

Ukrainian fighter attacked Lugansk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBHNuAziLdM

Old 06-02-2014, 09:33 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,800,899 times
Speaking of fascism in the Ukraine:

Fascism Comes to Ukraine -- From Russia | RealClearPolitics

The author of that piece was born in Russia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cathy_Young

http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%AE%...B8%D0%BD%D0%B0
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe