Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2014, 11:58 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,618,183 times

Advertisements

Re: 'Why do Americans behave as the world's gendarmes?'
Hehe you should come here and see that some think we're not doing enough of it....;-)....they think that crafty old fox over there in Asia is getting away with a lot of stuff. Ukraine's looks like Mr. Putin's dachau to them.

And Yatsenyuk. Well I'm not surprised. For the last few times I saw him on tv ( too bad we can't speak on the phone..;-) you can see he was like a pot on the boil. I have the feeling being in the govt cramped his style big time. Who knows? Maybe the BBC will have him as a pundit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2014, 01:10 PM

3,425 posts, read 6,309,332 times
About 2 years ago, I took a ferry from Tallin to Helsinki and literally 90% of the people on that boat were Russian. Some people were bringing back carts and carts of liquor. Can anybody explain why so many Russians on that route?

Old 07-24-2014, 01:22 PM

1,704 posts, read 1,837,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
About 2 years ago, I took a ferry from Tallin to Helsinki and literally 90% of the people on that boat were Russian. Some people were bringing back carts and carts of liquor. Can anybody explain why so many Russians on that route?
I'm kinda sure they were Finnish
Why would Russians buy alcohol from a place where it is more expensive than at home.

Old 07-24-2014, 01:34 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,413,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetway View Post
I don't compare Ukraine and Russia, I compare civilized world I live in and Russia.
You criticize how bad Russia is, yet leave how bad the other main character in this thread is, Ukraine. I guess that would disrupt your utopian view of what Ukraine is.

Old 07-24-2014, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadym View Post
Pruf, please.

For the mortality rate: (you do not have to pay attention to wiki, just view the sources.)

List of sovereign states and dependent territories by mortality rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Mortality rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For quality of life:

Where-to-be-born Index - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

And for anyone who has been and resided for an extended time in both countires, which a would bet it would hardly be anyone on this thread; the difference is very obvious, especially when it comes to economic matters in which finding work and work that pays a decent salary is much easier in Russia than Ukraine. Many, many Ukrainians work in Russia as they cannot find work at all in Ukraine. The salaries are higher is Russia as well and the general infrastructure conditions are better.

Last edited by Yac; 07-29-2014 at 07:02 AM..

Old 07-24-2014, 01:41 PM

4,491 posts, read 6,344,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
Also quite sure that those people were Finnish Or Russians living in Finland.

Old 07-24-2014, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetway View Post
This is so called parliamentary democracy.
I know that Russian dictionary doesn't know term "democracy" so you may have a problem to understand its meaning.
No, Ukraine does not know the meaning of democracy; it is the Maidan protesters that ousted a president who was elected in a fair election instead of following constitutional means to do so.

Old 07-24-2014, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
No, Ukraine does not know the meaning of democracy; it is the Maidan protesters that ousted a president who was elected in a fair election instead of following constitutional means to do so.
It was the Ukrainian people who ousted a president that decided to ignore the democratic rule of law.

Old 07-24-2014, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
It was the Ukrainian people who ousted a president that decided to ignore the democratic rule of law.
No, Ukraine was not a dictatorship void of an election process, I could see the revolt then. Ukraine had a legitimate voting process, and the 2010 election was judged a fair election by outside observers.

If the people had an issue with the president, it was up to their parliament members to enact the constitutional process for removing the president, or wait for the 2015 election to oust the president by vote.

The undemocratic way, which by the way did not represent "the people" as no vote took place, was to rush and forcefully oust the president from power.

If it was by "the people", then you would not have separatist movements opposing the new Kiev regime; it happens these movements are from the area where Yanukovich had the most support.

The Orange revolt succeeded in itself because the elections that occurred were fraudulent, thus the revolt was morally justified by everyone, including those who supported Yanukovich. However, the 2010 elections were fair elections, thus a revolt was not morally justified by those who voted for him, which is the root cause of the problems now.

Why should east Ukraine think anything of Kiev? East Ukraine voted and saw the person they voted for get ousted, why do you think east Ukraine is going to trust any vote after that?

Old 07-24-2014, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
No, Ukraine was not a dictatorship void of an election process, I could see the revolt then. Ukraine had a legitimate voting process, and the 2010 election was judged a fair election by outside observers.

If the people had an issue with the president, it was up to their parliament members to enact the constitutional process for removing the president, or wait for the 2015 election to oust the president by vote.

The undemocratic way, which by the way did not represent "the people" as no vote took place, was to rush and forcefully oust the president from power.

If it was by "the people", then you would not have separatist movements opposing the new Kiev regime; it happens these movements are from the area where Yanukovich had the most support.

The Orange revolt succeeded in itself because the elections that occurred were fraudulent, thus the revolt was morally justified by everyone, including those who supported Yanukovich. However, the 2010 elections were fair elections, thus a revolt was not morally justified by those who voted for him, which is the root cause of the problems now.

Why should east Ukraine think anything of Kiev? East Ukraine voted and saw the person they voted for get ousted, why do you think east Ukraine is going to trust any vote after that?
So, why did the Allies oust Hitler? He was elected democratically. Should we just have waited for the next election in god-knows-when?

People have the right to oust a leader that's constantly violating the rights of the people. The new leadership should make sure, though, that there will be fair reelections within a short period of time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe