Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2015, 04:26 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,805,566 times

Advertisements

Whose side are the Cossacks on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2015, 05:09 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,810,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Whose side are the Cossacks on?
What Cossacks? Cossacks as an entity were defeated by the Bolshviks and wiped out by the Soviet regime due to their rebellion against the Bolsheviks. There were numerous Cossacks groups, so you need to be specific which one you are referring to.

There has been a revival of a few Cossack groups, but they are not anywhere close to what they were pre-revolution.

Cossacks in general never got along with anyone other than Cossacks; it was a way of life more so than an ethnic/political/ideological philosophy. They were the rear guard of the Russian Empire, and at the same time the source for rebellions against it (Razin being one of the most famous).

Sure, a person can find self-proclaimed Cossacks with about any sort of view, but I would not ever state "this is how Cossacks view the situation". In an actual event, it will only be the ataman that will have the official voice of his group.

But back to this revival thing; I know there are plenty of people who have Cossack roots, and do have a desire to establish a Cossack type group(s) again. You will find people talking of the various Cossack republics that briefly existed during the turmoil of the revolution, so while I am not current on it, it would not surprise me to see some sort of a more formal, sold Cossack group(s) being formed as a result of the current conflict.

The only well established Cossack group I know of now is the Don, which are in Russia, but they are not near what they used to be.

Old 01-29-2015, 06:16 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,437,689 times
MOS. Boxus makes a good overall assessment of the situation concerning the Cossacks historically and it needs to be said many people claim a Cossack heritage. I noticed in this conflict there are some groups calling themselves Cossacks because their ancestors were of the Cossack breed. This is on both sides. Don Cossacks are present as are Ossetian, Chechen and Crimean. On the Ukrainian side there is the Zaporozhian Host types that were put down by Tzarina whats her face in the 1700s.

Quote:
I think Russia's reputation's never been worse: attacking a smaller, weaker country just for the sake of the old Soviet/imperialistic glory.
You're so far off the mark you're not even in the same post code. Get off this thread, you know nothing and have nothing to contribute to it.

TheDentist - Amok.

Its pointless to debate it. Russian citizens and Russian soldiers are supporting the NAF, end of story. The soldiers that are coming to Ukraine are doing so because to do so is to them an opportunity of a lifetime. It's like being a rock star. I read one account of a soldier who left his rifle and uniform on his bunk in Perm and went to fight in Lugansk in June. He returned in September and he was punished for being UA (unauthorized absence) and was fined, restricted to base and made to peel potatoes for a few days.

Regular Russian army personnel are not authorized to be there.

If they ever are I assure you it will be over quickly.

Old 01-29-2015, 06:26 PM

Uglegorsk. I guess it was a good fight. The NAF got a lot of gear, notice the D-30 howitzers just lined up for the taking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lg2W...85027636#t=156

Old 01-29-2015, 06:52 PM

26,782 posts, read 22,534,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
Uglegorsk. I guess it was a good fight. The NAF got a lot of gear, notice the D-30 howitzers just lined up for the taking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lg2W...85027636#t=156
Looks like the majority of the killed soldiers are the younger ones - the recent conscripts.
DNR ppl were surprised to see that there were no officers among them. They all left their soldiers to die alone. And that's what the captured ones confirmed. ( As I've said - this criminal Kiev government treats their troops like cannon fodder. They are sent to the battlefield with few hours of so-called "military training." )

Old 01-29-2015, 07:01 PM

...And meanwhile in Donetsk - everyone is in the same hospital. The Ukrainian survivors of the airport battles, the wounded DNRs, children maimed by bombing - everyone is in the same place.

Here is the DNR soldier ( whom the doctors have prohibited to get out of bed) came to talk to Ukrainian soldiers. Everyone seems to be trying to come up with answers and to understand why it's all happening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqsxSrVsRwo

( A DNR soldier with a gun is placed there for protection of Ukrainians, just in case, as the narrator explains.)

Old 01-29-2015, 07:31 PM

Here it is. Straight from the Ukrainian defense officials.

No regular Russian army in Ukraine.

Муженко: Є факти участі громадян Ð*Ф та російських армійців у незаконних збройних формуваннях на Донбасі — 5 канал

Quote:
Looks like the majority of the killed soldiers are the younger ones - the recent conscripts.
DNR ppl were surprised to see that there were no officers among them. They all left their soldiers to die alone. And that's what the captured ones confirmed. ( As I've said - this criminal Kiev government treats their troops like cannon fodder. They are sent to the battlefield with few hours of so-called "military training." )
And you know this is going to get out to the Ukrainian people.

What they did in the last week in order to stop the NAF was to shove every warm body they could get their hands on into the front line as fast as possible. This does nothing but waste valuable lives and untold human potential. How many of those boys would have become doctors and chemists, welders and construction men building homes and businesses? Those boys that died knew nothing and probably simply hid when the firing started, they don't stand a chance against men as old as me who have seen more than one war and even served in the Soviet Army.

I hear it's the likes of Kiev 2, Aidar, Azov battalions simply send them to the front instead of themselves to absorb the losses.

As for the officers that's disgusting. They're beyond redemption. In WWII men like Vasili Chuikov were often in front of their own soldiers and I remember a personal account of one Soviet major who was with his troops at the encirclement of Kherson. There were men killed in front of him and he dug into the muddy ground with his troops as the Germans shelled them from the east and west. He was wounded at this battle and died in the late 70s with one arm shorter than the other.

German officers were just as brave for the most part in all fairness. They died like flies in some places.

Old 01-29-2015, 07:56 PM

22 posts, read 18,905 times
Ok. I admit I not right. Not India, but what about Walonia and France? Walonia want to go away from Belgium, speak same language as France, same race as France and was part of France. Why does France not attack Walonia?

And then what about this I find? Многодетную россиянку обвинили в выдаче гостайны Киеву - BBC Russian

Explain this. It cannot be false, because goverment make charges against the woman, so she had to have tell the truth to Ukraine consul, or there would be no big deal.

Old 01-29-2015, 07:58 PM

In other interesting news, the Research center of Sociology of the Russian Academy of Science published yesterday the results of the poll, that has been conducted in connection with worsened economic situation. As the "Nezavisimaya" newspaper reports, although the results were more or less expected, they somewhat superseded the expectations. Russians are ready for their economic isolation from the West; what they are against however is the lowering of income and raising taxes. The majority can refuse from Euros and dollars, from trips to Europe and USA, from international bank cards and western goods. They are ready for this with the purpose of strengthening their own country. About 51% said that they can live without keeping other currences. 12% voted against such restriction. 37% said this issue was irrelevant to them. Therefore the majority will accept the prohibition of usage of foreign currences in the country, in the light of growing confrontation with the West.
It's approximately same picture when it comes to the usage of VISA and Master Cards. Only 24% of people are not ready to get rid of them, while 46% supports it. 30% said that this subject is irrelevant to them.
64% are ready to live without Western goods, 26% are not, 10% don't care.
So if to believe to this report of sociologists, Russians are ready to the long economic war with the West, in the name of certain(?) Russian geopolitical interests.
The only exception from the list of self-restictions is the usage of internet and social networks. 41% said they are not ready to give them up. 37% said they'd accept it, in the name of their motherland's security.
22% said that the subject is irrelevant for them all together.
Interestingly enough, Russians are demonstrating their readiness to restrictions in the light of the new economic crisis and they do realize that. Almost half of respondents express the opinion that the hard times are ahead of the country, quarter of them think that the country will keep on developing successfully and same number of people doesn't foresee any particular changes....

....Interestingly enough, that in spite of the readiness to more severe sanctions, the overwhelming majority of Russians object the measures of state budgeting - the raising of taxes and freezing of pensions and salaries. Therefore in the war of sanctions and economic confrontation with the West, Russians support their government. What they object to though, is the attempts of the government officials to shift the weight of the budget problems onto the backs of the citizens."

Ð*оссияне готовы отказаться от долларов и банковских карт / Ð*кономика / Независимая газета

Old 01-29-2015, 08:26 PM

22 posts, read 18,905 times
Erasure, what about the products that Russia cannot grow? What will you have? Belarus profit lot from all this. But Russia? no. although, belarus import fish from norway and then sell to russia. maybe then but prices still go up. Prices go up because of no competition and single suplier for goods like fish.

And officials will importing goods of Europe. They can live with no Brie, champaine and italian sausage? I think no. Or maybe ride a Zhiguli instead of Mercedes? If sanctions are reaching technology too, what then? Russia make smartphone several year ago. That was biggest fail i see. Seriously, Russia can not be ready for economic "war" if they can barely survive with no war.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe