Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2014, 12:03 PM

2,365 posts, read 4,373,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coseau View Post
My opinion of why Ukraine is of geopolitical importance between Russia and the United States is that the US doesn't want Russia to regain the former strength it had as the Soviet Union. That is why they prefer Ukraine to be more aligned economically, militarily, culturally, etc with Europe as opposed to Russia. The US is more concerned about Russia than China because the Soviet Union was the one nation other nations globally especially in the resource rich Middle East could rely on to counter or thwart possible American military expansion in that region. There is no way the US could have invaded Iraq if Saddam had the promise of full Russian military support for him. China was more concerned about nations ( Korea, Vietnam, Taiwan, territorial waters) on its borders than about nations worldwide because it wanted a buffer from Western nations attempting to undermine their political regime.
exactly. your opinion. the fact is millions of Ukrainians want to be under less Russian influence and the life it brings.. fact, this was a bottom-up push by the people for constitutionally limited government, and for a national existence more independent of Russian president putins presence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2014, 12:12 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,806,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1watertiger View Post
exactly. your opinion. the fact is millions of Ukrainians want to be under less Russian influence and the life it brings.. fact, this was a bottom-up push by the people for constitutionally limited government, and for a national existence more independent of Russian president putins presence.
And you completely ignore the millions of Ukrainians who voted for Yanukovich, and who desire closer ties with Russia.

And more independent of Russia, yet more dependent on the West and IMF. If you think Russia is demanding, wait until you see what those IMF loans come with.

Old 02-23-2014, 12:32 PM

847 posts, read 1,179,497 times
Quote:
millions of Ukrainians who voted for Yanukovich
In Eastern Ukraine people gave him up. His corruption and family are the reasons.
But will his party find a new leader, who will represent their needs?

But he is a political corpse.

1watertiger
Bulgaria doesn't look very prosperous. They are in the EU. Are they happy?

Old 02-23-2014, 12:41 PM

102 posts, read 106,103 times
Ukraine will now be state that relies on nationalists. We need about a week to reassure the country. There's one problem - Ukraine is bankrupt. I think international support might be given but now it possible do it easier for EC and IMF. No one will be bargain.
Yanukovich is the political corpse. All his supporters throwed him.

Russia won back. In the most difficult moment for the East, there nobody heard words of encouragement. Not for Yanukovych. Just for people.

Old 02-23-2014, 12:47 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,806,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscovite View Post
In Eastern Ukraine people gave him up. His corruption and family are the reasons.
But will his party find a new leader, who will represent their needs?

But he is a political corpse.

1watertiger
Bulgaria doesn't look very prosperous. They are in the EU. Are they happy?
As I stated before though; the election process should have been allowed to operate, instead of this protest.

If the leader is not liked by the population, then vote him out next election cycle. If the leader is currently breaking laws, then parliament should take action. If parliament does not take action, then vote them out as well.

Only if the election process is threatened, should protesters act, even violently, to restore the fair election process.

The aim all along was to get rid of Yanukovich; what gave a great excuse was the trade deal, but you notice the protesters were not happy with any concession by the gov, it turned from "we want EU", to "we want Yanukovich gone". The protesters broke every agreement they made with the gov.

The only reason these protesters have so much power is because they are settled in and around Kiev; if the capital of Ukraine was Dnepropetrovsk or Kharkiv, the protesters would not have hardly any power.

And no proponent of the protesters have answered this: what happens if during the next election, a person who the protesters do not like is elected, and/or that person goes with the Russian deal?

Old 02-23-2014, 12:54 PM

I understand you. But he is a political corpse. And in Kharkiv the support wasn't strong, it seems to me. The elections will be in May. They must find a new leader.

Old 02-23-2014, 01:00 PM

102 posts, read 106,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
The only reason these protesters have so much power is because they are settled in and around Kiev; if the capital of Ukraine was Dnepropetrovsk or Kharkiv, the protesters would not have hardly any power.
The only reason these protesters have so much power is they had license to murder but Yanukovich didn't have this thing.

During capture of buildings across the country, more than several hundred civilian supporters of Party of Regions were killed. But all media are silent now.

Last edited by sw1992; 02-23-2014 at 01:31 PM..

Old 02-23-2014, 01:29 PM

26,777 posts, read 22,526,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1watertiger View Post
what you are saying erasure, goes directly against what the Ukrainians that have come to Cleveland ohio are saying. they overwhelmingly support the protesters. they held a rally here in solidarity of whats going on in their homeland.
And you know who else what I am saying here "goes directly against"? My fellow Russians, who are cheering the events in Kiev. They are what I used to be back in Soviet times, always thinking in terms of "white and black," the EU is good, Putin is bad. Ukrainians are not all that different from Russians ( yeah, even the Western Ukrainians after all, as strange as it might sound.) They are very spiritual, and not very practical people. All while the West is counting money, because the hub of the modern world economy IS in the West; that's where the money are accumulated and that's where the world banking system is pulling the strings. That's where all the practical decisions are made, while most Ukrainians and Russians are thinking in very empirical terms of "freedom and democracy" which in their understanding are not directly attached to money at all. And that's, again, where the problem is. While reading Ukrainian sites, I came across this particular video, and it shocked me to be honest. I don't know much about Eastern Europe, so I always assumed ( by my old habit) that once Eastern Europeans joined the EU - it's all good ( other than I hear of course even here, on this forum, about that mass immigration from former Eastern countries in search of jobs and the discontent of your average Western European about that.)
I assume you speak Russian, so listen to what they are saying in this video, about what happened to Bulgaria, how its industry has has been dismantled and scrapped, what they are forced to pay for energy bills now, how many people lost their jobs, how many left their country, what happened to their birth rate and so on. Granted, it's a very "left" channel, but even if half of what they are saying is true, Eastern Ukrainians with all their industrial base ( which supports their livelihood) have all the good reasons to be concerned, VERY concerned by alliance of Kiev with E.U.

Úðú öøòётÑÂÑ Ñþûóðрøø ÿþÑÂûõ òÑÂтуÿûõýøѠò Õá - YouTube

Quote:
maybe your news or negative view on the EU and west comes from east Ukraine/ Russia.? im just relating what im hearing and seeing in my part of the world.
My point of view overall comes from many sources, from a bigger picture that I see both in Russia/Ukraine AND in the West.
On top of that I've read this poem yesterday posted by one of the Ukrainians, and it almost made me weep for them;

"Мы однажды вернёмся, Россия, Под твои вековые крыла, От свободы своей обессилев, Что обчистила нас догола. От бредовых своих вожделений, Под кликушеский западный вой Мы придём и уткнёмся в колени Непокрытой своей головой. Побеждая в боях эпохальных, Об униженных братьях скорбя, Ты жалела и ближних, и дальних, Никогда не жалея себя. Ты несла это бремя отроду, Как венец из терновых ветвей, Положив за чужую свободу Миллионы своих сыновей. Сколько стоили эти победы Крови, пота, отваги, труда, Если с запада – немцы да шведы, Золотая – с востока – Орда! Быть бы нам бессловесной прислугой, С очерствелою коркой в горсти, Если б ты не надела кольчугу И не встала у них на пути. В знак раскаянья и очищенья, Признавая порочность и блуд, Мы открыто попросим прощенья За своих бесноватых иуд. Мы укажем своим “демократам” Дальний путь в долговую тюрьму. Лучше быть на Руси “младшим братом”, Чем холопом в чужом терему. Мы столы вкусной снедью накроем, В кубки вина златые нальём, По былому поминки устроим, Наши лучшие песни споём. Нас отрезали и не спросили, Нужно ль нас от тебя защищать… И когда мы вернёмся, Россия, Ты простишь. Ты умеешь прощать. Константин Фролов-Крымский"

"We'll come back to you Russia one day, under your eternal wings, from our freedom that reduced us to a pulp, that left us with bare threads. We'll come back from our delirious antics, in spite of all the hand-wringing of the West, and we'll put our bare heads onto your knees ( asking for forgiveness.) ..
...It's better to be "a younger brother" in your own house, than a servant in someone else's palace. "

What is killing me here, is while I do understand this sentiment and in many ways I agree with it, but to ask for solace from Putin's Russia?! Under THESE circumstances?! This is just horrible.
I truly feel for Ukrainians and what befall them, I understand the situation where they are caught...
On another hand, when I am watching someone like Tzarev or Dobkin, the ability of Eastern Ukrainians to come together in this ( very uneasy) situation, to self-organize - I actually want them to join Russia. Someone has to kick Russians in the head to remind them what they are all about, and that "about" - is not counting $$$$ and making money on the misery of their own.
That's just my 2 cents here.

Last edited by erasure; 02-23-2014 at 01:48 PM..

Old 02-23-2014, 01:41 PM

Quote:
ing. they overwhelmingly support the protesters. they held a rally here in solidarity of whats going on in their homeland.
They have this right. But you live in the USA. I don't deny the fact that it's a first world country.

Ukraine isn't. People show that they are brave, but are they ready for economical challenges, do they have experts and economic plans?

Old 02-23-2014, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw1992 View Post

During capture of buildings across the country, more than several hundred civilian supporters of Party of Regions were killed. But all media are silent now.
You have inside information? Please post it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe