Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2020, 11:22 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,476,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
No..
Not really, not "all about."
This conflict over Nagorno-Karabakh goes back in centuries, long before any "oil flow to Europe."
The killing ground that that area became by the end of Soviet times, the eruption of the old conflict, was a sign of weakening of the central powers in Moscow, that were too preoccupied with other problems already, in order to put the fire out in Caucasus.
So it's more sort of like the conflict between Israel and Palestine that is used now for that "oil flow to Europe."

No. its more about oil. Russia could stop the war if it wanted to. the war just means more weapons to sell especially with russia under sanctions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2020, 01:22 AM

5,786 posts, read 4,231,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
No. its more about oil. Russia could stop the war if it wanted to. the war just means more weapons to sell especially with russia under sanctions

Armenia has been pursuing an anti-Russian policy recently, so I don't think Russia will rush to help it. Perhaps after long secret negotiations. And most likely this will require not political assistance, but an introduction of army forces, because the conflict has gone too far. Russia and Armenia have a military assistance agreement (similar to NATO), so it won't be too difficult.

Old 09-30-2020, 10:01 AM

7,643 posts, read 6,476,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post
Armenia has been pursuing an anti-Russian policy recently, so I don't think Russia will rush to help it. Perhaps after long secret negotiations. And most likely this will require not political assistance, but an introduction of army forces, because the conflict has gone too far. Russia and Armenia have a military assistance agreement (similar to NATO), so it won't be too difficult.

Russia has a base in Armenia and border troops at the turkish border. Plus, Armenia has bad relations with turkey. Something called the Armenian genocide.

Old 09-30-2020, 10:29 AM

4,169 posts, read 2,141,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
Russia has a base in Armenia and border troops at the turkish border. Plus, Armenia has bad relations with turkey. Something called the Armenian genocide.
I thought Armenian genocide was a hoax?

Old 09-30-2020, 11:15 AM

26,783 posts, read 22,537,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post

Some people are clueless here Maxim, and go by the "projected schemes" alone.

Of course Russia was putting out fires in Caucasus for centuries, be that Russian Empire or Soviet Union.
The eruption of this old conflict took me by surprise to be honest.
Interestingly enough, this is precisely the area where part of my family hails from (they moved to Baku though and later on some to Tehran.)

So one wonderful day, when they were visiting us from Caucasus I asked them about Nagorno-Karabakh, and you can't imagine the fury, the fire that was spitting from them when they talked about it.
So I figured that it was one of those crazy things that go beyond any rational thinking; it was something from empirical area and I shouldn't bring this subject with them ever again. (Plus I couldn't understand half of what they were saying anyway - their Russian was poor. )
I encountered the same type of unspoken animosity between Georgians and Abkhasians later on too, when I was staying in Gagra, and it became yet another savage conflict that ended up with separation of these two, with Russia being blamed for it by the West yet again ( yeah, right. )
In reality I'm sure we both know the role that Russia played in Caucasus, as long as Moscow ( or St. Pet) were going strong.

Dangerous Boy is not aware of course that George Soros and his "Open Society" are active in Armenia, trying to peel it away from Russia - the country without which Armenia wouldn't have been on the map as a country to begin with, being gulped up/finished off by Turkey.
It's just Arm. prime-minister Pashinyan is not ready to break away with Russia for obvious reasons, (watching what happened to Ukraine including I assume.)
The most troublesome card here of course is Turkey that is getting involved in the conflict, so overall a complicated situation, so I was listening to what Y. Kedmi had to say on a subject ( I do listen to him from time to time.)
From what he is saying - American involvement in Armenia weakened it to the point that Russia shouldn't fight their wars with Azerbaijan for them now, and that both Pashinyan and Aliev respect Putin a great deal, so they will listen to what he has to say.

All this is new information to me, so I keep on digesting at this point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pY3HAhrvy-A

P.S. The only thing I don't understand is why Kedmi is referring to Azeri as "Turkish people," when historically they were part of Iran ( still are.)

Last edited by erasure; 09-30-2020 at 12:06 PM..

Old 09-30-2020, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
Russia's loans-for-shares scheme which gave birth to the oligarchs

Loans for shares scheme

The rigged auctions allowed Soviet bankers to take control of industries under the new Russia.

"To make the companies profitable, the new investors sought to restructure them and install a western-style management approach. However, that required them to push out entrenched managers with communist allegiances. This had already become an immensely more cumbersome task once the communists took control of Russia's legislature in the 1995 elections and would be made excruciatingly challenging if the communists were to take control of Russia's executive government.[2] Consequentially, in order for the companies turn a profit, investors felt that the Communists would need to lose the election. The auctions were rigged and lacked competition, being largely controlled by favored insiders with political connections or used for the benefit of the commercial banks themselves.[2][3]
The scheme was structured in a manner that made Yeltsin's victory a strong interest of the investors involved."

Don't you love it how many times they repeat the "communists" here, as in "communists" vs who/what?

Those heroes of the "market reforms" - the darlings of the West, Chubais, Gaidar et al?
Someone needs to check on their Communist Party membership, but forgets to do it.
It was the most corrupt, the most slimy part of the "Soviet nomenclature" that Western *investors* shook hands with.

And once you shake hands with the devil, you invite him in your own house.
Same thing as with China.

Old 09-30-2020, 03:42 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,925,642 times
Quote:
P.S. The only thing I don't understand is why Kedmi is referring to Azeri as "Turkish people," when historically they were part of Iran ( still are.)
Because Azeris speak a Turkic language and very closely related to Turkish to the point that they can mutually understand one another.

Old 09-30-2020, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
Because Azeris speak a Turkic language and very closely related to Turkish to the point that they can mutually understand one another.
I know Grega, I know.
But today Zhirinovsky the Lunatic was raving and raging on Russian "60 minutes," and since he turned out to have this particular part of the East as his major, he basically acknowledged that Azeris were originally Iranic people and were overtaken by Turks that moved there with time, so this is a more contemporary layer.
The ORIGINAL language of the area was something else I assume, since we are going back to biblical times of Greater (ancient) Persia - the region was part of it back then.

Check it out - it's definitely a very ancient region, and pay attention at what they are saying here around 9:25 - the likely presence of Scandinavians there. ( Now the word "Caucasian" all of a sudden takes the whole new meaning.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xmLwXE_VUc&t=794s

And since we are talking about the "biblical times", sure enough Israel is watching the conflict very closely, expecting Turkey and Iran getting involved.

Last edited by erasure; 09-30-2020 at 05:31 PM..

Old 09-30-2020, 07:09 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,925,642 times
Quote:
I know Grega, I know.
But today Zhirinovsky the Lunatic was raving and raging on Russian "60 minutes," and since he turned out to have this particular part of the East as his major, he basically acknowledged that Azeris were originally Iranic people and were overtaken by Turks that moved there with time, so this is a more contemporary layer.
The ORIGINAL language of the area was something else I assume, since we are going back to biblical times of Greater (ancient) Persia - the region was part of it back then.

Check it out - it's definitely a very ancient region, and pay attention at what they are saying here around 9:25 - the likely presence of Scandinavians there. ( Now the word "Caucasian" all of a sudden takes the whole new meaning.)

And since we are talking about the "biblical times", sure enough Israel is watching the conflict very closely, expecting Turkey and Iran getting involved.
I’m well aware of Azeri ancient origin, in contemporary issues that fact is almost irrelevant, the culture has been completely changed, they don’t associate them selves with Iranic people anymore. Similar to how most Turks are not very different from the ancient Anatolians/Greeks that proceeded the Turkish invasion, but the people there had their culture exterminated and forgotten. Or how a good chunk of Russians in the north are of Uralic decent, but their culture has also been forgotten and now they just think of themselves as nothing more than your typical Russian. Language is a very strong influence on culture, or rather it’s a byproduct of it, sort of a chicken and the egg question.

Now as far as Iran and the Nagorno-Karabakh question goes, from my understanding Iran has close relations with Armenia, so Turkey and Iran could very well find themselves on opposing sides on this issue, wouldn’t be surprised if this issue erupted that Iran would take this opportunity to try and absorb Turkish Kurdistan (who are Iranic people), or carve a client state out.

Old 09-30-2020, 07:24 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,438,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looker009 View Post
I thought Armenian genocide was a hoax?

From what I have read about it it wasn't attempted genocide. It was ethnic cleansing with little care for the fate of the victims due to prejudice and inability of the authorities to care for them. Bad organization, enmity and all those human indecencies we all like to sweep under the carpet.

Armenians have a right to be pissed off about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe