Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2021, 06:33 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,435,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
You know, I have very controversial sentiments, while I am listening to both Zakharova and Olga Skabeeva of the Russian "60 minutes."

Both are very smart, very well-spoken and both clearly believe in what they say.

The problem is - their perceptions are not based on such solid and *righteous* foundation that they'd like to believe in.

But I do like Lavrov.

He is an excellent diplomat, he is much more ironic and philosophical in his attitude towards EVERYTHING, up to a point that he makes me chuckle sometimes.

Overall I see quite a few intelligent and worldly people among the Russian "elite" now, which is a good thing, since I was afraid that they were ALL replaced with the "new Russians."

P.S. Another thing - I have a feeling that Sergey Shoigu is the next one in line to the Russian throne if Putin is gone for whatever reason.

And that dude is downright "old school" Soviet, not to mention that he is a military man.

And this makes me chuckle too, thinking about the *hopes* some might have, looking forward to Putin's departure.
Putin is actually a corporatist deep down in his soul, no matter what he says or does.

Shoigu is NOT.
I find it really interesting how people berate Putin endlessly without thought to the consequences. Putin is steady, intelligent and a master diplomat. He's also respected the world over unlike many in the west.

Shoigu I don't know much about, he's real low key and I really wonder if he could fill Putins shoes. I need to read up on him. from what I know he reminds me of Gen Chuikov.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2021, 06:35 PM

I hear the Communists have enough representatives in the duma now to break URs super majority.

Old 09-19-2021, 08:58 PM

26,777 posts, read 22,529,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
SR only got 6.8% of the vote in 2016 so they’re not performing poorly considering their past performance. Was there talk that they would do better this time around?

I believe so, judging by what Prilepin was saying.

Quote:
Besides UR, LDPR is also underperforming, last time they got 13% and exit polls predict they will only get 8.7%. I guess their reputation was soiled with how they handled the Furgal arrest. Zhirinovsky was all talk and no action.

That's correct . The rebellious Far East used to vote for LDPR to show their spite for Putin's "United Russia." Which used to make Zgirinovsky happy I suppose.

But not any longer.

After Furgal's affair ( when it became obvious for them that Zh. and LDPR serve Putin and his UR after all, they switched to voting for communists this time around.

That's their revenge for being stuck with the abomination for the governor Degtayryev, gifted to them by the LDPR.
And this explains high jump in KPRF scores, while LDPR went down the tube, (or as you've put it "underperforming.")

Khabarovsk ( and the rest) didn't forget a thing.

If the UR wouldn't have been courting Donbass ( that is eligible for elections this year,) they'd vote en mass for the communists too ( I saw the calls among them to go this rout as well.)

Quote:
Speaking of Furgal, Khabarovsk Krai is voting for their governor and they’re stuck with no good options. There are only four candidates and UR didn’t even bother running. There is of course Degtyarev running for re-election representing LDPR, and many viewing him as a proxy for UR interests. Then there is Marina Kim representing SR a state journalist for channel 1 from St. Petersburg, which many suspect her to be UR back up plan for a puppet candidate. Then there is Babek Mamedov from the Rodina party who is some rich local oligarch and then lastly Vladimir Parfenov from the party for pensioners who also happens to be married to Degtyarev's press secretary. All other candidates have been bared from running for one reason or another. I really don’t envy the choice (if you can call it that) they have to make.
I feel sorry for them too, but they are stubborn people, so the "central part" of Russia is surrounded by the left-minded Ukrainians now ( a lot of them comprise the population of the Russian Far East.)
Technically they are "Russians" of course, but a lot of them have Ukrainian roots back in history.

And these people are stubborn. And now they are both on the West and East of Kremlin)))
So that was the revenge of the Far East for Furgal, a message sent from them to the officialdom.

Old 09-19-2021, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
I hear the Communists have enough representatives in the duma now to break URs super majority.

I dunno..
24.92% VS 38.82% is this good enough?

Because that's what the results of the voting look like so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAGu7DMKuVk

Old 09-19-2021, 11:10 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,922,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
I dunno..
24.92% VS 38.82% is this good enough?

Because that's what the results of the voting look like so far.
As I was expecting UR wasn’t going to perform so badly.
Here are results so far with 61.35% of the votes counted

UR: 47.41% (-6.79%)
CPRF: 20.78% (+7.44%)
LDPR: 7.86% (-5.28%)
SR: 7.51% (+1.29%)
New People: 5.73% (new party)

Source: https://ru.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Вы...думу_(2021)

I’m curious who this new party (New People) is taking their votes from? They lean right and are pro business men (emphasising on small businesses) and many people accuse them of being a Kremlin project. Just looking at the numbers looks like the people who left LDPR joined this new party?

Old 09-19-2021, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
As I was expecting UR wasn’t going to perform so badly.
Here are results so far with 61.35% of the votes counted

UR: 47.41% (-6.79%)
CPRF: 20.78% (+7.44%)
LDPR: 7.86% (-5.28%)
SR: 7.51% (+1.29%)
New People: 5.73% (new party)

Source: https://ru.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Вы...думу_(2021)

I’m curious who this new party (New People) is taking their votes from? They lean right and are pro business men (emphasising on small businesses) and many people accuse them of being a Kremlin project. Just looking at the numbers looks like the people who left LDPR joined this new party?

By the look of it - they are targeting Navalny audience actually ( minus foreign ties.)

And yes, it sounds like they are Kremlin's project judging by what I see so far.

Old 09-20-2021, 07:21 AM

Shooting in Perm at a university. 8 dead. Shooter in custody.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zd4o0mJFd4Q

Old 09-20-2021, 07:53 AM

More.

https://tass.com/emergencies/1340145

Old 09-20-2021, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post

Well someone was asking on another thread how "Americanized" former Eastern European countries are, and I already answered for Russia in particular.

Yes, americanized enough, and it's one of the manifestations of it.

This is yet an another example

The "luxuries" downtown Moscow ( as much as the 18 times difference between the rich and poor there) is yet another one.

And then I already mentioned the TV shows, the whole hype around the "rich and famous" - so yes, Russia is Americanized enough at this point.

Which now makes many to vote for the communists.

Old 09-20-2021, 06:09 PM

And now some more on NS2 and the recent spike in natural gas prices.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...DHP&li=BBnb7Kz

This isn't the Russians raising the prices of gas, it's the speculators. Once NS2 is up and running the gas will flow normally, they have to switch routes though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe