Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2021, 07:00 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,435,844 times

Advertisements

I'm surprised she rolled the window down. Getting a better view could cost you your face.

https://www.itemfix.com/v?t=l04sbp
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2021, 09:39 AM

Russias big problem developing the Far East. Getting people to go there. It's a tough place to live when you have better alternatives such as south west Russia in areas like Krasnodar.

https://youtu.be/jhwJHnKliVw

Old 09-30-2021, 11:06 AM

2,289 posts, read 1,566,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
Russias big problem developing the Far East. Getting people to go there. It's a tough place to live when you have better alternatives such as south west Russia in areas like Krasnodar.

https://youtu.be/jhwJHnKliVw
I doubt they'll ever develop it. Too much land, too few people. I have a SiL from Vladivostock.

Old 09-30-2021, 01:03 PM

26,777 posts, read 22,529,485 times
Quote:
I guess using Russian bases was discussed.

https://www.rt.com/russia/536138-us-...iden-pentagon/

No better than the WSJ but there was a blurb in another too so it's been said.

Yes most likely, but by the sound of it ( judging by that annoying Peskov ( Putin's spokesperson,)) Russians want to stay tight lipped about it.

The reason for it (just a guess,) is that they want something in return for this cooperation, be that US concessions in Syria or Ukraine.

However whatever it is, the fact remains; without Russian cooperation the West can't succeed in fighting radical Islam.

And with Afghanistan in particular things are even more straightforward, because this is the place where ( historically speaking) Russian interests clash with Anglo-Saxons'.

The jihadists benefit directly because of it.

P.S. Meanwhile - yet another fun fact.
I know someone close to the Fort McCoy ( or rather people that are directly involved with the Afghan refugees there. So I hear quite a few *interesting* stories, including the latest one that about 500 or so of the Afghans disappeared from there in a thin air.

I.e. they left the base and never came back.

No one knows so far about their whereabouts, since they are the refugees, and they can come and go as they are pleased.

Fun fact, yep.

Last edited by erasure; 09-30-2021 at 02:04 PM..

Old 09-30-2021, 03:06 PM

...my next question is what the heck is going on in Gr. Br.?

And is something going on there for real, because when I watch Russian news, these empty shelves in the stores look very real, and so are the lines for petrol. Plus they are talking about the upcoming possible gas shortages ( all is here from 1:12 to 4:06.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70gDumLD0hM

I mean I can understand gas shortages in continental Europe in connection with NS-2 ( i.e. that it has to go through some certification process, which some forces in Europe will try to delay as much as possible, while intending to force Russians to send the promised gas via Ukraine, ( and thus to patch up its crumbling budget.)
But what Gr. Br. has got to do with all that, ( since I always thought that it has different sources of gas supply - namely Norway.)
And why petrol shortages ( if any?)

Old 09-30-2021, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Yes most likely, but by the sound of it ( judging by that annoying Peskov ( Putin's spokesperson,)) Russians want to stay tight lipped about it.

The reason for it (just a guess,) is that they want something in return for this cooperation, be that US concessions in Syria or Ukraine.

However whatever it is, the fact remains; without Russian cooperation the West can't succeed in fighting radical Islam.

And with Afghanistan in particular things are even more straightforward, because this is the place where ( historically speaking) Russian interests clash with Anglo-Saxons'.

The jihadists benefit directly because of it.

P.S. Meanwhile - yet another fun fact.
I know someone close to the Fort McCoy ( or rather people that are directly involved with the Afghan refugees there. So I hear quite a few *interesting* stories, including the latest one that about 500 or so of the Afghans disappeared from there in a thin air.

I.e. they left the base and never came back.

No one knows so far about their whereabouts, since they are the refugees, and they can come and go as they are pleased.

Fun fact, yep.

OK, I see now - they are talking on "60 minutes" about that Putin's offer to Americans to use the Russian military bases close to the Afghan border.
And as I was guessing, it's attached to "Ukrainian question."
Putin doesn't want NATO expansion there, particularly in the light of escalating violence in Eastern Ukraine.

The newly-appointed by Zelensky military commander of Ukraine cancelled the cease-fire in Donbass and is talking about the possibility of "taking back Ukrainian lands by force."
( Not only that, but in one of his interviews on TV he mentioned that "riding in a tank through the Red Square" is his dream.)
This attempt to take Donbass by force is not a military threat to Russia in any way, they can easily respond.

But that means a lot of dead people, Ukrainians first of all.

A LOT.

And Americans are behind it all, sorry to say.

Old 09-30-2021, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
...my next question is what the heck is going on in Gr. Br.?

And is something going on there for real, because when I watch Russian news, these empty shelves in the stores look very real, and so are the lines for petrol. Plus they are talking about the upcoming possible gas shortages ( all is here from 1:12 to 4:06.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70gDumLD0hM

I mean I can understand gas shortages in continental Europe in connection with NS-2 ( i.e. that it has to go through some certification process, which some forces in Europe will try to delay as much as possible, while intending to force Russians to send the promised gas via Ukraine, ( and thus to patch up its crumbling budget.)
But what Gr. Br. has got to do with all that, ( since I always thought that it has different sources of gas supply - namely Norway.)
And why petrol shortages ( if any?)
The petrol thing seems to be people panic buying and stocking up, they don't trust the authorities. Apparently there's not enough truck drivers to meet demand because of restrictions on European truck drivers due to Brexit and the truck drivers already there being over worked.

It's the same over here but not as bad an impact. Some convenience stores run out of ketchup and I went looking for Popeyes spinach just yesterday and there's none to be had anywhere while everything else is still around in the canned veggie isle.

The logistics system is screwed up. Sometimes I can't get filters that are normally available in quantity. I needed 10 gal of 10w 40 NAPA oil a few days ago and I found 1 in Bellevues NAPA. When they checked in other places there was 5 more gal in Sacramento California then more in Ohio. Weird. I think companies
are shipping what's needed most or what is in highest demand as priority.

My local bartells didn't just run out of Hagendaz Rocky Road, they ran out of everything a few weeks ago and my thrice weekly fix of RR is an iffy thing.

Old 09-30-2021, 05:18 PM

On the gas crisis in the EU. Isn't Russia bound by contracts to sell at a certain amount for so many years? I believe they are. What I think is going on is politics and speculation.

Old 09-30-2021, 05:35 PM

Quote:
On the gas crisis in the EU. Isn't Russia bound by contracts to sell at a certain amount for so many years? I believe they are. What I think is going on is politics and speculation.

Yes.

And they are shipping part of it through the "Turkish stream" ( or whatever it's called. )
Part of it - through Ukrainian pipeline (the amount that is mentioned in the existing contract with Ukrainian Naftogas.)
And the rest they want to ship through the new Nord Stream 2, which is not operational yet, because of the whole "certification" process. Which some would love to postpone as much as possible, in order to force Russians to sign a new contract with Ukraine and to increase supplies through there, in order to supplement the crumbling Ukrainian budget ( all while Ukraine is trumpeting about its hatred towards Russia and rallying the West behind it against Russia.)

And this situation makes gas price to soar in the process to unheard heights ( like over $ 1,000 for cubic meter.)

Plus the uncertainty of the situation with the newly-elected German government, that the likes of Ted Cruz in US are still hoping to use for the hindering of that NS 2 project. ( He is ready to side with the German "Greens" for that - no particular reservations here. Apparently he hates the "Left" only in the US you see, but somewhere else they are fine.
( Same story with American corporate democrats - they want generous left-wing economic policies IN AMERICA, but somewhere else ( namely in Russia and Ukraine) they love to enforce the "austerity" and the right-wing economy of the "wild capitalism."

And so all these uncertainties are hiking the price of gas.

Not that the Russians are not willing ( or unable) to supply it.

Just not when their arm is twisted to comply with American demands to ship it via Ukraine.

Old 09-30-2021, 06:36 PM

There's also the factor of Ukraines gas transport infrastructure. It has not been properly maintained since Soviet times and it has seen better days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe