Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2022, 10:00 PM

102,195 posts, read 107,842,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
I meant FDR thanks Ruth4Truth
lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2022, 03:52 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,060,700 times
Mikhail Gorbachev died today at 91

Gorbachev was the exact opposite of Putin.....
Gorbi wanted to reach out to the west....Putin is confrontation towards the west...
it will lead to his downfall.

Gorbachev was no fan of Putin

RIP

Old 08-30-2022, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTB365 View Post

Gorbi wanted to reach out to the west....Putin is confrontation towards the west...

RIP

What a personality! And the sad irony is, that few in Russia will miss him or ever appreciate him. He's blamed for bringing down the system and causing a decade of ruin.

Old 08-30-2022, 10:05 PM

1,651 posts, read 865,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTB365 View Post

RIP
Did you know the man personally? If not then all you stated was your opinion.

Old 08-30-2022, 10:36 PM

2,215 posts, read 1,323,424 times
After visiting Novodevichy Convent, we toured the cemetery next door. The guide just pointed the direction to Raisha's grave. Hmm ... kind of funny.

Old 08-31-2022, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice_Major View Post
Did you know the man personally? If not then all you stated was your opinion.
Except that G did pass away yesterday. That's a fact.

And he was the opposite of Putin politically. Instead of restrictions on speech and public expression, Gorby encouraged free expression. He refused to invade countries in the Soviet bloc, when they got too freewheeling for some Party officials' taste.

I bet P is still angry at him for allowing the disintegration of the whole system (which was entirely unforeseen by Gorby). P is trying to turn the clock back to what he considers to be "the good old days". Except for the religion thing. P is pretending he's into that. He's not turning the clock back in that particular arena.

Old 08-31-2022, 12:47 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,019,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Blakeley View Post
But surely you cannot deny the fact that the Soviet Union , as opposed to the Russian Federation which many people these days like to conflate it with , was one of the most brutal states to ever exist in terms of its overall body count ?

For the life of me I can't understand the weird downplaying of the Soviet Union's crimes by so many Russians , when it was precisely them who arguably suffered the most under said regime .

That's precisely part of the reason as to why I don't support the Russian Federation , anymore than I do the EU/NATO/the US establishment , since Soviet nostalgia isn't something I can get on board with at all .

The third way of consistently supporting tradition and agitating for peace when it comes to conflict is the way forward in my book , regardless of whether or not that opens one to being accused of being an appeaser of the others side by partisans of both sides .
I somehow doubt any 'real' Russians post on here, and even if they did and they said the 'wrong' thing they would be looking at being arrested.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_web_brigades

These are the only 'Russians' posting on these type of forum's

Old 08-31-2022, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
I somehow doubt any 'real' Russians post on here, and even if they did and they said the 'wrong' thing they would be looking at being arrested.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_web_brigades

These are the only 'Russians' posting on these type of forum's
Just FYI, there are a variety of Russians posting here: those who have lived in the US for years, or may even have been born here, and have what you could call a "western" perspective but with an insider's insight into Russia, those who live in the US or in emigration elsewhere in the West, but retain what could be called a Russ. government perspective, a couple who live in Russia and post their perspective from the mainstream news sources over there. Personally, I don't believe there are any of the type you suspect here.

Just because a few people disagree with your, or the prevailing, view on this forum regarding certain events, doesn't mean they're agents, trolls, etc.

Old 08-31-2022, 11:27 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,924,430 times
Honestly I don’t know why Gorbachev has such a bad reputation in Russia? Wasn’t it Yeltsin that back stabbed him and disbanded the Soviet Union? Did the Russian elite brainwash the Russians or something? What am I missing? Sure he could’ve done perhaps more to stay in power and fire Yeltsin, but foresight is 20/20 and I don’t think he deserves to blamed for all of that.

Plus he was tasked with fixing Brezhnev’s mess, so really if anything the blame should fall on him, which looks like Putin is following his footsteps by undoing all his good work from his younger days by stepping into a quagmire and stagnating the economy

Old 09-01-2022, 09:13 AM

1,651 posts, read 865,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Except that G did pass away yesterday. That's a fact.

And he was the opposite of Putin politically. Instead of restrictions on speech and public expression, Gorby encouraged free expression. He refused to invade countries in the Soviet bloc, when they got too freewheeling for some Party officials' taste.

I bet P is still angry at him for allowing the disintegration of the whole system (which was entirely unforeseen by Gorby). P is trying to turn the clock back to what he considers to be "the good old days". Except for the religion thing. P is pretending he's into that. He's not turning the clock back in that particular arena.
And look at what that got him. Putin probably looks a G and former Soviet leader and decided to take a different route. Appeasement gets thrown around here often, but a good argument can be made that every time a Soviet Union leader tried to appease the West it ended up hurting the Union while making the West stronger. I wonder if this is the reason why Putin said forget it, will invade, because doing nothing will bring about our demise although slowly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe