Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2015, 07:30 PM

26,783 posts, read 22,561,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander.XVII View Post
I am from Trentino and rye bread (or "black bread" as we call it) is the only kind of bread I eat nowadays.
Pictures in studio please ( for further appraisal... )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2015, 11:59 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,817,796 times
Quote:
I am from Trentino and rye bread (or "black bread" as we call it) is the only kind of bread I eat nowadays.
What we call black bread is as black as it gets. Rye, malt, syrup, brown sugar and the top anointed with coffee.

It's absolutely amazing, but not something you want to eat every day, it's just too heavy.

What Urania93 means with "black bread" is what we call mixed bread. It's rye or wheat mixed. Or rye, wheat, oat and barley all mixed together. It looks like this:

Last edited by Ariete; 11-10-2015 at 12:10 AM..

Old 11-10-2015, 03:15 AM

504 posts, read 465,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
This looks like some kind of a pie.
(When I was reading English literature in my childhood, I was always wondering what "pudding" was and I pictured it as some kind of dessert))) As in something sweet.
What else do you have as part of "national cuisine?"
And - do you have black bread?
(inquiring minds want to know... )
We don't have black bread. Only in the import part of delicatessens. I remember travelling to Berlin 2 weeks after the wall came down, by train, and eating in the East German restaurant car run by Mitropa. I had what they described as "hearty farmer's cheese sandwich", which was two pieces of very black bread with a slice of cheese so thin, I could clearly see the grain of the bread through it

"Pudding" describes a wide range of foods, as many savoury as sweet. A classic British food is a blood sausage known as "black pudding". Went right out of fashion, now back in. Eaten in small quantities with a cooked breakfast, or as a garnish with flash fried scallops. A slightly "acquired" taste.

Then there is the classic "steak and kidney pudding" which in London was served with oysters back in the day, and still is by "Rules", the oldest restaurant in London.

This is Yorkshire Pudding with sausages - though traditionally could be made other "left-over" meats - and called "Toad In The Hole" (this is a nifty version with "pigs in blankets" - sausages wrapped in bacon)

And here's a sweet "treacle" pudding - served, of course, with custard - or what the trendy restaurants all call "Creme Anglais" these days!

And finally, you can keep your fruhstuck, petit dejeuner (the worst excuse for a breakfast on planet earth), ontbijt, desayuno, colazione........the Great British Fry Up is the finest way to start your day! Wholemeal toast and freshly squeezed orange juice on the side, naturally.

Old 11-10-2015, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 640TAG View Post
And finally, you can keep your fruhstuck, petit dejeuner (the worst excuse for a breakfast on planet earth), ontbijt, desayuno, colazione........the Great British Fry Up is the finest way to start your day! Wholemeal toast and freshly squeezed orange juice on the side, naturally.
HAH HAH! Good one.

This is what I'm used to eat for breakfast:

Ok, forget about that cookie.

Old 11-10-2015, 05:52 PM

10,889 posts, read 2,193,171 times
Breakfast in France : tartines, butter, jam, dipped in coffee, hot chocolate or cereals, maybe a croissant or pain au chocolat or a drink of whatever you like. But I think we don't have a real breakfast here, some don't even have one, like me, or if they have it's just a cup of coffee with nothing else.

Am I the only one to mix rice with mashed potatoes, that gives a sort of rice pudding but not sweet ? I eat that with fried fish and ketchup. And coke mixed with lemon juice.

How does that sound ?

Old 11-10-2015, 06:08 PM

1,600 posts, read 1,889,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Pictures in studio please ( for further appraisal... )
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
What we call black bread is as black as it gets. Rye, malt, syrup, brown sugar and the top anointed with coffee.

It's absolutely amazing, but not something you want to eat every day, it's just too heavy.

What Urania93 means with "black bread" is what we call mixed bread. It's rye or wheat mixed. Or rye, wheat, oat and barley all mixed together. It looks like this:
This is, more or less, what I meant:

There's only one and unique form of breakfast:

The rest is uncivilised barbarians

Old 11-10-2015, 06:23 PM

4,491 posts, read 6,346,679 times
Quote:
There's only one and unique form of breakfast:

The rest is uncivilised barbarians
This breakfast is definitely lacking some meat.

Old 11-10-2015, 06:29 PM

Do even other Europeans than English have such heavy breakfasts? The Dutch maybe, I can't remember?

Old 11-10-2015, 06:44 PM

4,491 posts, read 6,346,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Do even other Europeans than English have such heavy breakfasts? The Dutch maybe, I can't remember?
Breakfast on Sunday can look like that in Austria:

Old 11-10-2015, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
Breakfast on Sunday can look like that in Austria:
But is it breakfast or brunch? And mainly I meant the bacon, eggs, beans and similar things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe